• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dude playing as the female character

Years
  • As one who has played through XY at least ten times in total, i've played as the girl character in it all but two - one being my main copy of X where I have all my stuff, and the other was one of my Monotypes I started at the tail-end of 2013. When I do, I try to give her outfits that will go along well with the theme of the playthrough i'm going with.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think the male trainer is so ugly in XY honestly, and his clothing options suck. So I have never and will never play as the male in XY. I normally do prefer the male protagonists though.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • I think the male trainer is so ugly in XY honestly, and his clothing options suck. So I have never and will never play as the male in XY. I normally do prefer the male protagonists though.

I wish there were different models of both male and female. That way it is at least a little different. Like say size and width. ( the ingame model might not be diff but the image u see at full scale would be) also age would be nice xD

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    I think the male trainer is so ugly in XY honestly, and his clothing options suck. So I have never and will never play as the male in XY. I normally do prefer the male protagonists though.

I'm right in there with you. I think the male trainer's design is boring and dull like I said before. Again, it's the only game in the entire series that I beat for the first time with the female character and I've never done that before. That was how I knew he was horribly designed.

I wish there were different models of both male and female. That way it is at least a little different. Like say size and width. ( the ingame model might not be diff but the image u see at full scale would be) also age would be nice xD

That will come out by the time of your first child by one of those online players. The first Pokebaby.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • I'm right in there with you. I think the male trainer's design is boring and dull like I said before. Again, it's the only game in the entire series that I beat for the first time with the female character and I've never done that before. That was how I knew he was horribly designed.

That will come out by the time of your first child by one of those online players. The first Pokebaby.
    Lol I find that funny because I met my wife on Facebook xD

At least x and y had customizing. Heck we were lucky to even have a second gender! Lol so I guess we should be thankful. However I digress, it really doesn't matter what gender u choose or want. Its a roleplaying game. And chooseing your gender is also considered chooseing a role. Its like being female in skyrim. Who cares?😉

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Lol I find that funny because I met my wife on Facebook xD

At least x and y had customizing. Heck we were lucky to even have a second gender! Lol so I guess we should be thankful. However I digress, it really doesn't matter what gender u choose or want. Its a roleplaying game. And chooseing your gender is also considered chooseing a role. Its like being female in skyrim. Who cares?😉

That internet.

I think we should do like they did in the Gold and Silver days and just have only a male playable. We don't deserve the choice. Or they could reverse it ad only have a female playable, which wouldn't probably win them praise among anything else since it would be viewed as retribution for having girls being made to play as guys in the first five games of the series.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I think that there's enough options to make the male protagonist look cool if you put a little time into finding the right items. I never had a problem with it and actually have had some really nice male protags in Y. That said, I don't let things like gender stereotype stop me from playing female. I usually choose gender based on what name I want to use, rather than what protag I like better. I usually am Necrum so I usually pick male on my main saves. On challenges I get more creative with names, so the chance of me picking female goes up depending on what I have on my mind at the time.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I play as the female avatar since Crystal for the sole purpose of that bit of entertainment value for me = A Little girl commanding an army of tamed animals that have the ability to level cities with earthquakes and avalanches, cause floods and forest fires, and whatever natural calamity there is.

To keep up with the topic of X and Y, i get all the justifications why a lot of people play as the female avi (Serena). She has that 'eye candy' value with her clothing options and all that. Also, i remember seeing Serena's artwork for the first time and that immediately caught my attention to play as the female avi.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    Well its only your game character. Its no reflection on the real you, (God, I wish I was really that skinny!) I don't think it makes a difference. I would play as the guy if I liked his design better or if I could think of any male names that I wanted to play as but I don't like the design or the clothes so I always play as the girl. That fact that I am a girl is irrelevant.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I played as the female in Fire Red, Platinum, and Black 2 before. Other than those particular runs, it's always been the male character for me. I only did it to make the runs themselves more interesting or if the male character's design was irredeemably bad in Black 2's case.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've nearly always played as the boy, and that was the case for XY. It is a bummer that we have less clothing options than the female protag does, but there's not much one can do about that. Besides complain loudly I suppose. =p

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I used to play both versions of the games when they came out, and I'd pick male for one and female for the other. But ever since Black Version 2, I've been playing as the female player.

Except my Alpha Sapphire Version (my main game of ORAS) I accidentally picked female because I was distracted by the nostalgia of the gender-choice screen. But I didn't really mind because there was a good chance I was gonna pick her anyway XD

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ya know, why is it that male characters got less (or less variety) than female characters for customization options in the game?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Sorry to break it to you, but Pokemon isn't considered a manly game anyways. Wanna play a manly game, go over and play Call of Duty like all the other kids that call you a wuss. Man, woman, child, dog, play as who you want to play as, and don't take others people's insults to heart. In a game I will play as whoever I like aesthetically. For example, I play as the guy on most playhtroughs for Pokemon X because I like how he looks more, but for Diamond I will play as the female protagonist because I like her look more.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • Sorry to break it to you, but Pokemon isn't considered a manly game anyways. Wanna play a manly game, go over and play Call of Duty like all the other kids that call you a wuss. Man, woman, child, dog, play as who you want to play as, and don't take others people's insults to heart. In a game I will play as whoever I like aesthetically. For example, I play as the guy on most playhtroughs for Pokemon X because I like how he looks more, but for Diamond I will play as the female protagonist because I like her look more.
    Lol I see your point, but cod is hardly the manly game its made out to be. Skyrim is a manly game. Cod is more like an online day care/play ground for kids xD male yes, manly no. But that being said I don't mean ur point is invalid, just maybe ur example fell short xD

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I am a woman and I choose the female character, but this thread is interesting! I am a fan of the Harvest moon serie and I often play as a boy. The important thing is to play with a character that you'll like :)

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
  • I am a woman and I choose the female character, but this thread is interesting! I am a fan of the Harvest moon serie and I often play as a boy. The important thing is to play with a character that you'll like :)
    I think gaming has come a long way from only haveing a male character to it being normal to have both. And pokemon is no different :) just enjoy the game the way u want! Ilthat is how I think pokemon was always meant to be.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Lol I see your point, but cod is hardly the manly game its made out to be. Skyrim is a manly game. Cod is more like an online day care/play ground for kids xD male yes, manly no. But that being said I don't mean ur point is invalid, just maybe ur example fell short xD

Yeah, I was joking with that. I was meaning to be facetious, lol. Um, if you wanna play a manly game play something like Mortal Kombat, God of War or MadWorld.

Back