• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dude playing as the female character

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • I play as male in my main games and as female in the throwaway ones.

But IMO, there's no fun in playing as female if you're not roleplaying. When my character is "me", I play as the male, since it's the gender I was born and identify with. If I play as female, I'll picture the character as someone else with tastes different from mine.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • i usually dont play as a girl, unless i'm doing a monotype play through or a nuzlocke playthrough.

but i will say that on League of Legends, everyone thinks i am a girl. and since i really dont care, i let them continue to think that i am a girl.

Saronai

PKMN Breeder
    Years
  • I'm not a guy at all, but was curious about the post. It's not as "frowned upon" for a girl to choose a male avatar, I know...and in pokémon it's really rather gross to use the mmo excuse for a guy playing a girl (You've probably heard it "I don't want to stare at a guy's rear the whole time") since the avatars are about 10 years old.

As a female, I don't think a guy wanting to play the female character is weird or creepy or anything at all. Anyone who thinks ill of you based purely on that has some growing up to do.

Again, I know it's different for girls choosing to play guys, but back in Soul Silver I just hated Lyra's design. I always play a girl, except that game. I decided to choose the boy and use my usual name and pretend that my character was just a tomboy who kept getting referred to as a boy to which she would issue irritated corrections.

I tried playing as Lyra and had the same problem you have with Calem (couldn't get far). I just hated her design so much it ruined the awesomeness of getting to have a pokemon walk around with you.

More on topic for the approval in which you seem to be seeking, my husband and son both occasionally play as girls too. They both tend to pick based on whichever character design they prefer (or males when they have no design preference).

Playing a girl doesn't make you any less manly, even if you're playing a girl to enjoy something considered "girly" such as a larger wardrobe. Of course, I find many of society's restrictions based on gender to be awfully silly ways of restricting harmless fun. Then again, I consider weird a compliment, it just means I'm not letting some outdated vision of normality dictate who I want to be and what I want out of life :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    I've heard stories of male players wanting to play as a female character in this game, and given the huge number of customization options for the female it seems to be no surprise why. Most people who enjoyed X & Y loved its customization feature and they wanted to abuse it a lot, and most of the male charcater's clothing options weren't as diverse as the female's.

But then again we have to take into account that girls can wear both skirts/dresses and pants as opposed to boys only being able to wear pants, so it was expected the female players would get the better end of the stick here.
    I DEMAND A KILT!
    And the option to remove hats...
    And maybe if we could keep the goatee from the PR video thing.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Being a guy, I always started the game as the guy.

But this generation is the first time I've got both X and Y (as I love this generation so much, anime, game, everything about it) so I'm keeping my male save file on X and starting out as a female on Y (same goes for ORAS if I'm honest).

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2021
    I'm a guy, but I play as a female char in every game that has them. Unless there is some relationship sim. It was weird playing Avalon Code as the girl, trying to swoon the guys.

Years
  • I'm a guy and mostly play as a guy besides trying out the female designs for one playthrough or if im going fora certain theme, but this is the first generation where I played a girl more then once because of the customization option.

I don't think it's unmanly to play a female lead.

Were girls then manly for playing RBY or GS without having the option of choosing a female? Or any other video game for that matter? Really it's quite silly.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've sometimes thought of myself as "a girl trapped in a guy's body/born the wrong gender/however you want to say it". I almost exclusively cosplay as female characters. So I like playing as a girl as a bit of an escape from reality. I've played as a girl in every main series Pokemon since Crystal (and wish you had that option in Colosseum/XD) and I see no problem with it. After all, the female trainer designs have been consistently better than the male trainer designs (and lately the guys have looked so much alike I can't tell them apart lol)

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • To be completely honest I've never REALLY struggled with the gender I play as, though almost every time I go with the male. Its not like I don't feel manly if I choose the female, it's more of a tradition for me to choose the exact same name every time and always male... Though if I ever replay any of the games I previously played, then I'm sure to choose the female for a change.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Honestly, I was disappointed that there weren't clothing options that let you mimic past Gen characters

Although with the red hat, you could sorta pull off Ash from the anime with Calem

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I don't really mind what gender I'm playing although I prefer to be playing male since I'm a guy IRL.

However, player customization can do good and add more depth to Calem, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    And to add have way to the conversation, i've done so in another thread here.
    The gender I play really depends on my mood at the time, or if I feel something about the game resonates better with one gender or the other. I'll happily play female or male, doesn't really matter to me, and I like variety. I can identify with either, and find myself fitting into many characters, I try to see myself in those characters, and I can do that even if they aren't like me and imagine what they'd think or feel given the circumstances in the game/story.

I personally find it funny that people will say something about playing a game with opposite gender, yet read a book, watch a movie or a tv show with a character of different gender and think nothing of it, even when most of the narrative is from their perspective.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I have played as both genders. Even though I have chosen the female usually with every new game (i.e. crystal, Sapphire/emerald/FireRed, diamond/platinum, white 2, Y/Alpha Sapphire). It was a change from the default male character in gen 1 to either make or female in gen 2. So I have always usually play with both, if not... Then I am usually the female, except in some cases like in white, black 2 and X... I liked the male sprites better.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When it comes to choosing what character I play as, I do have tendency to take design into consideration, like almost everyone else on here.

Due to having to consider appearance when selecting male or female at start of game, in my first run, I believe I wound up picking former, if I remember right. Although both do share some traits among each other—eyes would be one example, which are sort of big—male player still had some aspects attached that had made him feel, in my eyes, more like an actual trainer.

I did select female character eventually—throughout my second play-through. One advantage she seemed to have had over her counterpart is customization; in terms of this, she had wider range of things available. I was fond of that!

Years
  • Exactly. I don't have any problem with it apart from thinking what others will say, but I feel limited with Calem and with Serena, whether you're boy or girl in real life, I feel you can express yourself more with the different clothing options.

It felt strange to me because in every Pokemon game apart from this, I at least completed the main story before using the female. I beat the game with Serena. I've never beat the game with Calem and I don't really want to. I feel with her that I'm not shackled.

That's one of the main problems of the clothing options. It's unbalanced and again, I don't need to be disadvantaged from people playing as her.

I agree a thousand-fold with your statement

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    Play as whatever character you want. It's really not a big deal to play a video game as another gender - anybody who judges someone based on something this inconsequential seriously has issues. Don't let jerks affect your decisions.

I started playing Pokemon as a kid, and it didn't even occur to me when I played Pokemon Yellow and Silver that the protagonists were male. I've been playing as the female protagonist since Crystal whenever I get the chance (video games need more awesome female characters), but I'll play as the guy during second playthroughs.

~Psychic

tnfsf11

I don't bother myself much with what will people think or what I'm "supposed" to play as, I always take a good look at both genders then when I decide which looks cooler I play as him/her.
    In X/Y the obvious choice was Serena, I didn't even consider customization because in the end I'm supposed to be playing as "Serena" & not some alter ego of my real self that I inserted into the game.

People seem to forget that video games were originally meant to be ways of escaping reality, when you self-insert you limit yourself to the little possibilities of the real world (e.g. regular hair colors, casual clothes...etc).

Years
  • I've never really had a problem with being a girl in the games. I mean, it's just a game. Why should anyone care what you choose?

I've played both guy and girl in X/Y and I chose Serena because of her bigger wardrobe. I do wish you could use both gender's wardrobes regardless of the characters gender though. I want the guy hats so badly :( The chick got that ugly Slurpuff dress and the guy got the awesome Pangoro hat.

Back