• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Dude playing as the female character

Years
  • Some people have stated that in RPGs you only want to play as yourself (like in PMD), but in others you don't want to play as yourself. This is when me playing as a female character gets fun, even moreso now that we have this. Although Emerald and Platinum have always had me playing as the female, this one has had that as my choice a majority of the time, too.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I honestly don't see the whole deal about this. I'm a male and I play as the female and male characters. When playing as a girl I don't think "sh!t I hope no one finds out that i'm playing as a girl oh no my masculinity!!!" I think "damn I hope people love the cute name I chose" and when playing as a male I don't think "F YEAH TESTOSTERONE1!! *spouts 4 adams apples*"

I think it's really dumb if you refuse to play as "_____" because they're male/female. Like if you dislike the designs or something then that's fine, but if you refuse to play solely because of gender then you're an idiot.

As for my personal preference I enjoy playing as the girls because they look better and have better models.

Years
  • Yeah, agreeing with the sentiments of the others. There's no reason to feel embarassed about your choice in character. I've mostly played as the male character in my first playthrough of the games, except in Pearl as the design was better. I generally will decide to mimic real life in the game, however, design comes into effect just as well. Dealing with gender roles is something we all have to put up with, and for no good reason, really. Pokemon is about having fun and stylizing your journey.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I often do this on my other copy of X because what's wrong with having a little difference? In a way it refreshes the way you look at the games, and for me it makes the game for fun to play through. I doubt I'd choose the same gender if I reset my game.

Years
  • I honestly don't see the whole deal about this. I'm a male and I play as the female and male characters. When playing as a girl I don't think "sh!t I hope no one finds out that i'm playing as a girl oh no my masculinity!!!" I think "damn I hope people love the cute name I chose" and when playing as a male I don't think "F YEAH TESTOSTERONE1!! *spouts 4 adams apples*"

I think it's really dumb if you refuse to play as "_____" because they're male/female. Like if you dislike the designs or something then that's fine, but if you refuse to play solely because of gender then you're an idiot.

As for my personal preference I enjoy playing as the girls because they look better and have better models.

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my view aswell xD

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I play as both female and male depending on the generation.
    I loved dawn so i chose her in gen 4
    I love both calem and Serena so i played over it twice and played as both of them
    And on the original gen 3 i played as may
    Firstly it depends on how they look for me and who i like better.
    And who really cares if im not showing how "manly" i am i dont really wanna be manly i wanna just show who i like which was mainly Serena. I also liked how many more cutomizations the girls had for the boutiques.
    I wouldnt really care if people found out i played as a girl its not the end of the world and im girly for a guy so its kinda fitting. Also its fun to play as opposite gender as some people do think sometimes what if i was a guy/girl? And u can have ur way on the little screen of a 3ds haha.
    But in the end its not too much of a big deal play how u wanna play testosorome is not soemthing people should be worried about on a videogame ;)
    (Especially in pokemon haha)

Years
  • I approach the games playing as a male the first time, as if it was me.
    After I beat it the first time, I really wouldn't wanna re-play the game as a male.
    I'll play as a female the second time and depict her in the way that I'd like. This is more for fun.
    Whereas I take my male character (myself) much more seriously and play with competitive teams. :P

mcminer2011

Leader of Team Amethyst
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2015
    What's so wrong with playing as Serena? I play Pokémon Y as Serena because she has more customization options. Of course I play as Calem too but that's because I started my group-Team Amethyst- as him. Anyway, Playing as Serena feels so much more fun especially since I get more clothing options as her. I love going to the boutiques and just shopping til I drop. Then showing the chateau trainers a good time with my meowth.

LordOfMinecraft

LordOfMinecraft
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    Ever since I started playing Pokemon, I've always played as the male. Usually I get both versions, but even with that I always play as the guy. The only exception was Pokemon Platinum, but that was mainly because I really liked Dawn's design and I had previously beaten it as a male. I played as a guy for Johto remakes and Gen V. I've always played as a male in both Hoenn remakes.

With that being said, anytime I play Pokemon Y (I don't have X), I always keep starting the game over, regretting that I played as a guy. I'm not sure why, but I don't like his design and I really like Serena's. I think she looks great and he's dull.

Now anytime I play as a girl I keep thinking that I'm not being manly and nobody says anything about it, but I just have the feeling that someone will. But if I play as a guy, I kind of feel like I'm forcing myself to play the game in a lesser way. I just want to enjoy myself to the fullest and I really believe that playing as Serena does that. Does any other person have this problem where they like the reverse gender's design better than the character that's the same gender as them?

There is nothing wrong with it. Tons of people do this. Of course it's mostly horny teenagers and games like league of legends, and word of warcraft, but still I sometimes do this in pokèmon (once). There is nothing wrong with it. Also are you still in school and if so which one? Those would really affect the situation, and also who would think that you're "un-manly"?

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my view aswell xD

Yeah mine as well. Also you realize that Gardevoir's are not all female right? Just because the other evolution Gallade is only male doesn't mean Gardevoir's are to.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    There is nothing wrong with it. Tons of people do this. Of course it's mostly horny teenagers and games like league of legends, and word of warcraft, but still I sometimes do this in pokèmon (once). There is nothing wrong with it. Also are you still in school and if so which one? Those would really affect the situation, and also who would think that you're "un-manly"?

I'm still in high school, though I don't necessarily know what you mean by which one. Those who tend to think of me as unmanly are piers that see me playing and usually first ask why I'm playing as a girl and try to turn it into some kind of joke when it's just a regular way of playing. I'm less prone to care because I stopped bringing games to school with me years ago, but I still wonder what would happen if other people readily knew about it.

LordOfMinecraft

LordOfMinecraft
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    I'm still in high school, though I don't necessarily know what you mean by which one. Those who tend to think of me as unmanly are piers that see me playing and usually first ask why I'm playing as a girl and try to turn it into some kind of joke when it's just a regular way of playing. I'm less prone to care because I stopped bringing games to school with me years ago, but I still wonder what would happen if other people readily knew about it.

You are in high school, pokèmon is cool. The only time it isn't is middle school. The only time someone would mock you for playing as a female character is elementary school. If anyone does mock you, you then have the perfect opportunity to mock them for being immature and sexist.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    You are in high school, pokèmon is cool. The only time it isn't is middle school. The only time someone would mock you for playing as a female character is elementary school. If anyone does mock you, you then have the perfect opportunity to mock them for being immature and sexist.

I don't tend to get insulted for Pokemon nowadays, as opposed to when I was younger when it was a mixed bag with some saying it was cool and others saying the opposite. They just always think that it should be the girls playing as girls and the guys playing as guys but really I don't like some of the designs for the guys and if there has to be a character that I play as forever in a game, I'd prefer it to be one that I actually like.

PoK3Matr1x

A ROM Hackerino ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Years
  • Ever since I started playing Pokemon, I've always played as the male. Usually I get both versions, but even with that I always play as the guy. The only exception was Pokemon Platinum, but that was mainly because I really liked Dawn's design and I had previously beaten it as a male. I played as a guy for Johto remakes and Gen V. I've always played as a male in both Hoenn remakes.

With that being said, anytime I play Pokemon Y (I don't have X), I always keep starting the game over, regretting that I played as a guy. I'm not sure why, but I don't like his design and I really like Serena's. I think she looks great and he's dull.

Now anytime I play as a girl I keep thinking that I'm not being manly and nobody says anything about it, but I just have the feeling that someone will. But if I play as a guy, I kind of feel like I'm forcing myself to play the game in a lesser way. I just want to enjoy myself to the fullest and I really believe that playing as Serena does that. Does any other person have this problem where they like the reverse gender's design better than the character that's the same gender as them?
    Well, I used to play as the male character, but now i play as the female, so i dont have to stare at a guy when i play, im not saying the female characters are attractive in particular, but there is nothing wrong with it. Since I am a guy, i obviously rather stare at a girl the whole game.

LordOfMinecraft

LordOfMinecraft
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2017
    I don't tend to get insulted for Pokemon nowadays, as opposed to when I was younger when it was a mixed bag with some saying it was cool and others saying the opposite. They just always think that it should be the girls playing as girls and the guys playing as guys but really I don't like some of the designs for the guys and if there has to be a character that I play as forever in a game, I'd prefer it to be one that I actually like.

Exactly. Also it does not matter what gender you are in reality or in a video game. If you think it matters that's just sad.-_-

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I don't see a problem playing as a female character. I play as both. I play male on my Y version, and female on my X version. I do prefer the male character, but as long as you don't intend to do anything creepy as a character of the opposite gender, there is nothing wrong with it.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • It doesn't really matter on picking a male or female. I personally picked all males through my pokemon games, just to make it more realistic, but I have no problem with females either.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • To continue my point in a more valid way...

So i played AS as the female avatar, since I did pick her back in my Ruby savefile, and I was hooked with the May character from the anime. Now, i just realized that playing as May (or whatever you want to call her) and letting Brendan be the NPC in the Gen 3 remakes was rewarding since Brendan had some really funny facial expressions. I've seen playthroughs of other people who obviously picked the male avatar and I wasn't hooked with May as the NPC since she wasn't as funny as Brendan was, or to be more blunt, she wasn't funny looking at all. She does have her fanservice shots though. Dat cycling shorts.

For my XY run, played on Y because I'm an idiot for not checking other stores for copies of X, I stood by my prediction and played the female avatar because of her more abundant clothing and other customization options. I even cut her hair short like her supposed anime counterpart, but thankfully that silly looking dress she's currently wearing in the anime isn't there, so there are much better clothing options. Again, for some reason the personality of the unchosen avatar seemed to fit the male counterpart better than if the female character were to act that role. I felt weird watching someone's playthrough of X and seeing the female avatar as the rival NPC, which I didn't find suitable to look at (Serena looks like a fashionista but when not chosen to be the player avatar, is acting like this hyper competitive person with insecurity issues that i felt suited the male avatar/Calem better). Then again, I'm not pushing through with Gender standards here.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
  • Just play and represent yourself however you please.

Playing as a female in a game doesn't change the values you hold as an individual. Like some clothing options or designs in a game? Go for it.

Anyone worth caring about won't think of you as any less for it.

Back