• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Character

Who is your favorite character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
  • Out of all the characters in the entire Pokémon anime, who is your favorite? Do you prefer main characters like Ash, May, or Cilan? Maybe you prefer Pokémon, like Ash's Pikachu or Tracey's Marill. I want to know who you all like the most! If one of your favorites isn't in the poll, then select the "Other" option and tell us about your favorite character in a post.

The winner of this poll will be used for something special that I'm going to begin rolling out next year, so I want to start it off with everyone's favorite character!

Use this thread only for declaring your favorite characters and why they are your favorites. If you want to have serious debates about who actually is the best character, or how one compares to another, then I recommend using Lizardo's General Character Discussion thread.

Jan. 2015 Edit: PC's favorite character, as voted by the members of PC, is May! Expect to see what this will mean on February 1st! However, anyone is still free to vote in the poll for fun :D

Last edited:

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • Do any of the character's other Pokemon count?'

Seriously, my favorite would be their Pokemon like Ash's Bayleef.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I voted for a few people on the poll, but it's not hard to see at all that Ash is my favorite out of everyone, even those that I have voted (Ash included of course). And, with Ash, Pikachu would have to be right behind him if not on par with him because hell they're basically nearly one thing at this point. Can't have an Ash without a Pikachu that never goes well.

I can go into detail about why I adore Ash, but just so I'm not blabbing for a million years his energy, determination, and his heart of gold would have to be the three main reasons. Because despite all his flaws, despite that rollarcoaster of a development he has, he still has those three elements regardless. And of course, much of that he has with Pikachu or is because of Pikachu that he can just keep on going like the energizer bunny hahaha.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I voted for four people: Satoshi, Haruka, Hikari, and Other - Shinji.

When used well, Satoshi is very entertaining to watch - and it means a lot that I'm still watching after all these years (albeit, on an off-and-on basis) in the hopes that he wins a League, which isn't something I'd do for most other characters. Haruka and Hikari are the two most developed of Satoshi's traveling companions. Shinji is the most interesting and nuanced character to have come out of the entire anime franchise, and a textbook example of what a rival should be.

I would have included Citron in this, but I forgot about him. So I'll just say that he's easily the best character in XY right now.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • My Favourate Character Would Be Dawn Because She was confident and daring girl:)

Galmar

Banned
    Years
  • Well Brock obviously. But his Croagunk is another good character, and James still being in the anime sometimes makes me watch the new episodes.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • May because I loved her development and character arcs.
    Cilan because he is fabulous.
    Clemont because he's a ridiculous sweet dork.
    Jessie and James because they have honestly had some of the best moments in the series and even though their gags get repetitive their characterization and stories do not.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    May is the best female companion Ash has ever had, lbr here. She's shown the most development (even more than Misty) and has the best go-getter attitude. Plus, she has the cutest team.

I like Dawn mostly out of nostalgia for the DPPt series, and Serena is growing on me too. I forgot to vote for her Fennekin in the poll though, I love that high-strung little fox.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • May use to be my favorite and is still a very very very close 2nd, but at the moment. Serena has become my favorite character. Which is kinda odd, I usually don't like the shy, quiet anime girls.

And Ash is starting to become another favorite again. As he has changed a lot in the XY season, becoming the 'true leader' of the group.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • You're looking at the results for May, not her Blaziken, and it's always been clear that people really loved the way she was portrayed and resolved as a character.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    You're looking at the results for May, not her Blaziken, and it's always been clear that people really loved the way she was portrayed and resolved as a character.

Great , The most popular character has to be the only Girl that Ash can't have !
    If only their were serious female rival like Rika Nonaka (Digimon Tamers)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I don't think Ash not being able to "have" her is in any way necessary. People seem to like that she had her own development and relationships outside of Ash. So... that doesn't even matter I guess.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You're looking at the results for May, not her Blaziken, and it's always been clear that people really loved the way she was portrayed and resolved as a character.

Actually, Misty will be quickly competing with May (not to mention the fact Misty got a Wikipedia article over May and the other girls should be a huge indicator on how more popular and influential Misty is over May), with my vote. Besides, I'm not sure most people actually liked how she was portrayed (I know my mom would have hated May for being a Hina stereotype, based on how she reacted with the Fiorello Fangirls and the girls from Love Hina, and I also disliked how she cried after losing during the Kanto Grand Festival. I mean, come on, Ash didn't cry at all under similar circumstances during Johto. And I also didn't like how she basically acted like a coward near the end of the Manaphy movie), and I don't think that how she was resolved was all that good (true, she at least was allowed to pursue her goal instead of circumstances forcing her to run a gym unlike Misty, but the way they handled it made it seem as though she blew off her friends as a result, as she had no hesitation with leaving for Johto. Even Max at least had some hesitation of leaving the group, not to mention Dawn and especially Misty for AG and the Original Series). In fact, with the exception of this year, I hadn't seen even one cosplayer for May, and even this year there was only one while it was otherwise swarming with Misty cosplayers each year. Not flamebating or anything like that. Just saying... If you personally like May, fine, everyone's different anyway. But don't imply that May was all that loved, because my experience tells me otherwise.

Technically, Misty isn't a favorite since, thanks to Toy Story's anti-favoritism message impacting me as a kid, I cannot hold to favorites, but for the purposes of this poll, I voted Misty, especially when she was definitely more popular than May (not to mention had it not been for Toy Story, I would have cited Misty as being the favorite, at least among female characters).

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I expected as such, and honestly I'm surprised that May has been in the lead. I'm fairly confident that she always comes out on top for fav girl companion, but maybe not in fav overall characters? Who knows. It's an interesting poll to watch.

edit for your edits: I am absolutely going to imply that May was well-loved, because she was. Your opinions on the matter don't erase the fact that people really like her.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    edit for your edits: I am absolutely going to imply that May was well-loved, because she was. Your opinions on the matter don't erase the fact that people really like her.

It's not just my personal opinions, though: If May were as well-loved and influential as you claim she was, she'd have her own Wikipedia article by now. Of the girls in the series, only Misty actually has a Wikipedia article of her own (in fact, the only main characters from the anime to have their own articles are those from the Original series, more specifically, Ash, Misty, and Brock). The rest are relegated to list characters. That is factual, objective, verifiable proof that May is not as well-loved or as influential as you claim, especially when Wikipedia requires notability (ie, popularity and especially a proven influence) for characters to have their own articles. Even if I loved May (which I do not), I still would have said this. And this is not intended to rip on May at all (even if I do dislike her).

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh man. A wiki article about the girl that was clearly the most iconic in the show's development but not the subsequent ones? Clearly that means nobody loves May. Did you miss the parts where May almost always comes second on fav girls polls? And not by an awful margin? It's a fact that people like May. That's absolutely indisputable. I'm not claiming she was the best ever, or is the top choice for everyone, or even that she is loved by everyone. I am saying that she is loved by a significant amount of people and that her development was well-handled. The end, that is indisputable, I'm going to ignore you if you try to argue further, happy holidays.

Back