• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm gonna mod _______. And then climb higher!

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
  • It isn't as much work as you're making it out to be, haha. As long as you love the section in question, it'll all seem like a natural thing that you'd normally do. Take it from someone who has experienced it once. ;)

As for Mods being PC famous - that isn't true at all. Sure, having a bold username makes people look at you differently but, well, as soon as the boldness is taken away from you, you're just like anyone else. I've seen cases where a staff member had a great say in a lot of matters. But as soon as he resigned, people started taking his posts/opinions less seriously and actually interpreted them incorrectly - sometimes even accusing him of deliberately trying to be rebellious when he was just being himself. The point I'm trying to make is - the limelight that you receive when you become a part of PC Staff team is temporary. It is better to strive to be a better member and naturally achieve that status of being "PC Famous" instead of wishing for modship to happen to you so that you can become PC famous. The PC Famous status that occurs as a result of the former lasts much longer than the one that comes with the latter, believe me.

I know what you mean, haha. Even by being an admin for a small forum can show me this. Too bad, I could barely go on PC now thanks to college, so as natural as it will be, it's still a lot of work considering which course I'm taking for college....

And true, it's probably a shortcut to being "PC Famous", but it'll only last for as long as your name remains bold, hence why I said "somehow". I honestly prefer to strive being a better member than getting that bold blue username. P:

Also, that's why Hikamaru is awesome. Go bold, Hika! :>

GURL, DON'T PUT YOURSELF DOWN LIKE THAT! Whether or not you're worthy will be decided by the hstaff - just keep doing your thing and, who knows, you might just be deemed worthy enough by them? I mean, a n00b like me got lucky once. If I can, anybody can. :p

Haha, true. Who knows what the hstaff thinks? Maybe someday I'll end up with the bold blue name. Eh, we'll just see. P:
    Pretty sure not. I mean, who wants an inactive user like me as staff?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hm, nowadays I can't really think of myself modding anywhere else other than TWL and Video Games, haha. My two favourite sections ever! Modding Video Games is pretty demanding yes, but the amount of activities and creativity you can do there is immense in which it's well worth it for all of that sort of fun, y'know? It's really cool making and participating in gaming tournaments where everyone strives to do their best, and since new video games will continue to be made, there's always going to be new discussion!

I think The Welcome Lounge is a pretty underrated section, since well, if you're active there, you'll see the value on the posts and such that you can put in there, since you're essentially meeting the faces of the new PC members, and hey- maybe one day they can be admins! Then you can look back and say, "ohh, I remember greeting them for the first time: they've grown up so much!" Mmm, but yeah, modding that section always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling; not something you can replace!

For those of you saying 'I don't think I can cut out to be a mod', lemme stop you right there - anyone can become a mod, since it doesn't really matter who you are. If you really wanna go for it, you should go for it! If you set your heart on something, always give it a 110%, y'know? Even if its just for fun, don't be negative! Think positive, do your best, and something good might happen! I'm always happy to have a partner for TWL ohoho

Ah, but of course, you don't have to be a mod to contribute; it's always good to contribute whenever you can. :3
    My two Gald!

Last edited:
    Years
  • And true, it's probably a shortcut to being "PC Famous", but it'll only last for as long as your name remains bold, hence why I said "somehow". I honestly prefer to strive being a better member than getting that bold blue username. P:

Also, that's why Hikamaru is awesome. Go bold, Hika! :>

I don't know how I became PC Famous in the first place, given I got off to a very terrible start as a member here with all the fear of mods power-abusing me like how they drove me out of my previous forum but I still feel surprised I lasted a good three years here, which is much longer than any forum I've ever been with.

And I think the reason might be because I strived to be an active poster and just have fun as opposed to trying too hard for a mod position. Even if I got suddenly promoted I don't think many would view me differently just because of a bold name, it's all because they know I like to go with the flow.

Also are you secretly a member of this so-called "Hika Appreciation Society"?

For those of you saying 'I don't think I can cut out to be a mod', lemme stop you right there - anyone can become a mod, since it doesn't really matter who you are. If you really wanna go for it, you should go for it! If you set your heart on something, always give it a 110%, y'know? Even if its just for fun, don't be negative! Think positive, do your best, and something good might happen! I'm always happy to have a partner for TWL ohoho

Ah, but of course, you don't have to be a mod to contribute; it's always good to contribute whenever you can. :3
    My two Gald!

I once thought I was never able to "make the cut" but after hearing some interesting stories it turned out that was definitely not the case. I remember that we had some people who accidentally broke rules in the past yet still managed to end up on staff (yeah I'm looking at you, Dero and Matt/El Heroe Oscuro) and of course, as he said just keep doing what you love and enjoy everything and if you keep at it, something cool may happen in the near future!

Also, it is extremely true what he said. You absolutely don't have to be staff to contribute, in fact you'll be surprised how many great contributors in certain areas we have who still haven't been staff yet, such as myself.

Very positive message from Shawn there.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Don't jobs usually carry a salary?

Don't great achievements usually make some kind of noticeable impact on humanity? It's at most a personal aspiration, and I'd hope people had higher aims in their limited time they have.

It's a nice hobby, I'm sure, but let's not take the internet too seriously. Nothing good ever comes of that.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • Huhurm...i really want to become one of them..being a mod of the Welcome Lounge is really cool but i don't think i became one. My english is really bad.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Actually answering the question this time around, I'm honestly pretty content with my position as a Video Games moderator. It's not that I wouldn't want to become a Super Moderator if the position ever opened up - I'd love to have a more active role in the site's functions - it's more that I don't know how I would feel about relinquishing my Video Games position. I have so much fun planning events and chilling with the members of Video Games that I don't know if the thrill would be the same as a Super Moderator. I know that Syd was joking about that little point about the transition from a Mod to a SMod, but it's something to question whether or not it's worth the risk.

However if I was able to keep my Video Games position and be a Super Moderator as well, then I'd be so down to clown with that option.

Don't jobs usually carry a salary?

I honestly thought that the Moderator position was paid going into it. Woopsy doodles!

Reactions: £

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I'm just gonna clear up something really simply here regarding the whole "being open about wanting to be a mod" thing since it seems that even some of our own staff are confused on it - hstaff do not care that you want to be a mod. If you aren't obnoxious about it or acting like you think you should be modded / taking on mod responsibilities, you're welcome to go on as much as you like about wanting a promotion. It honestly does not impact our decision at all. Definitely still a no-no to asking for it most of the time though. d:

Don't great achievements usually make some kind of noticeable impact on humanity?

No, not at all. I think it's really extreme to say that for something to be a great achievement it has to impact all of humanity. The concept of achievement is entirely subjective and dependent on the person. Do you really not feel like you've ever achieved anything great because it didn't change the world?

I honestly thought that the Moderator position was paid going into it. Woopsy doodles!

I genuinely do not believe this hahaha.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • No, not at all. I think it's really extreme to say that for something to be a great achievement it has to impact all of humanity. The concept of achievement is entirely subjective and dependent on the person. Do you really not feel like you've ever achieved anything great because it didn't change the world?

Depends.

On a personal level, perhaps having a different coloured name and recognition on a Pokémon forum can be considered great. Many people probably consider this to be great in their own personal opinions.

I don't though, and I'm sure there's people that don't.

There's things that are unquestionably great achievements; usually with the benefit of humanity. I never said all, that's a bit of a spin on what I said. Contributions to ending slavery, racism, homophobia, the pioneers of civil rights that made a brave stand in adverse circumstances. They are unquestionably great achievements as far as humankind is concerned. On a lesser scale, consider those people who are currently on the front-lines tackling ebola. They're not doing it as a matter of pride. They're doing it because they believe it's the right thing. I imagine a lot of people seek to moderate a forum out of personal pride or to seek recognition. I know so personally. It's rare that there's 100% noble intent involved in it.

I don't seek to offend anyone by saying that it's not a great/significant achievement. I don't believe I've made a single great achievement myself, and I don't think many people do. I've done some good things, made small impacts here and there, but I wouldn't want anything I've done as yet to be considered my magnus opus, and I'm not entirely sure any of the staff here would either. But, who knows? The more I voice my dissent about the sheer disproportionate hype to the reality of having a bold name and having to clean up a forum, the longer the song and dance about it goes on.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Depends.

On a personal level, perhaps having a different coloured name and recognition on a Pokémon forum can be considered great. Many people probably consider this to be great in their own personal opinions.

I don't though, and I'm sure there's people that don't.

There's things that are unquestionably great achievements; usually with the benefit of humanity. I never said all, that's a bit of a spin on what I said. Contributions to ending slavery, racism, homophobia, the pioneers of civil rights that made a brave stand in adverse circumstances. They are unquestionably great achievements as far as humankind is concerned. On a lesser scale, consider those people who are currently on the front-lines tackling ebola. They're not doing it as a matter of pride. They're doing it because they believe it's the right thing. I imagine a lot of people seek to moderate a forum out of personal pride or to seek recognition. I know so personally. It's rare that there's 100% noble intent involved in it.

I don't seek to offend anyone by saying that it's not a great/significant achievement. I don't believe I've made a single great achievement myself, and I don't think many people do. I've done some good things, made small impacts here and there, but I wouldn't want anything I've done as yet to be considered my magnus opus, and I'm not entirely sure any of the staff here would either. But, who knows? The more I voice my dissent about the sheer disproportionate hype to the reality of having a bold name and having to clean up a forum, the longer the song and dance about it goes on.

I wish I could give you a gold sticker for this well-thought out response.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • pokeani 4 eva

would mod again in a heartbeat. i like organizing and being active and making things flow and promoting and running events and reading all the posts that go by and working with the members and maintaining a positive atmosphere and being excited about the direction my section could go. i mean i still do all of that but on a rather less involved level. and you know i do miss having a direct line to all the rest of staff to chat about whatever and especially jake and audy because we did talk a fair amount about interesting things related to pc and sometimes pokeani and i mean other messaging systems work i guess but they don't have the same easy flow as staffchat does. also personally really bad at maintaining contact when it's not there in front of me. i haven't opened skype in like months and i used to leave it on 24/7 ah well things change

never wanted smod, except maybe to get more people to actually listen to my ideas and try to get things movin' faster. but really hstaff is more like. you have to have actual skills and things that would contribute to PC and i suck lol

Years
  • This is an interesting topic...

Maybe I wanna mod the ROM Hacking forums. 'Cause, well, I hack, and I love hacking xD. But, I find it strange, that I don't wanna be a mod of this site =/
    Why? Because the site is so crowded XD.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I seem to be appearing myself as becoming a mod at the Video Game section due to how common I've became over there, as well as the Pokemon Anime section when reviewing each of the new episodes. Becoming a mod has always been my initial goal in every forum I've joined in the past.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I seem to be appearing myself as becoming a mod at the Video Game section due to how common I've became over there, as well as the Pokemon Anime section when reviewing each of the new episodes. Becoming a mod has always been my initial goal in every forum I've joined in the past.

Would you say it's a goal of yours now though? The way you worded it didn't actually give a clear cut answer as to whether or not you actually want to become one now.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • As someone who's currently moderating another major Pokemon forum, I have to say that I'm loving it and it's a great experience so far! Sure there will be members who will be rude to you (especially after locking their thread or/and give them an infraction) but mods really need to have thick skin and not retaliate back in that manner (if you can't handle it then let the other staff members handle it and if you want, you can let out your frustration privately). At the same time, you will meet some awesome people; real life works the same way. And agreeing with the whole it's not just a pretty status, if you really want to be a mod then you have to expect to do work.
    Some of my extra input here for those who planning on being a mod (I do apologize if some stuff has been said before)~ : )

Anyways, I'm still pretty new to this community but if I were to mod some sections it would probably be Art and Design, Battling and Team Help and Fifth Gen. I am a fourth year Art major and modding a section which I would enjoy the most would make moderating so much fun! I love art a lot~ <3

For Battling and Team Help, I haven't posted there (yet) but I do have a good understanding on Competitive Battling and I love helping people improve.

Fifth Gen is my favourite gen ever and would be nice to help out that section. <3

@Dragon- I official love you for saying Gald! : )

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • I would consider the Role Playing Corner, since I love to RP! Plus, I won't be shy to open up holiday RP's! Plus, who doesn't love that place? I consider it my home, but I am currently satisfied with the current mods!

Years
  • I want to moderate the C&C section of the Ubers forums on Smogon, and have done a ton of work there to (hopefully) earn Moderator status soon! I'm not active enough on PC to get mods here though :p

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Being a moderator is hella fun. If you ever become a moderator, don't try to climb higher. Don't do it!!! You will get bored and you'll be orange. And no one likes orange. You know which candies get eaten first? Blue. What do you try to pawn off to your naive cousins or siblings? The orange ones. Yeah. Who actually says their favorite color is orange? Like 1 in 1000 people. You see where I'm going.

Please don't fire me, I'm just mAKING A JOKE

My favorite color is orange. :(

I love modding Trade Corner. Have great partners too. <3 I'm not sure if I'd moderate any other section and I would definitely consider climbing up.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Would you say it's a goal of yours now though? The way you worded it didn't actually give a clear cut answer as to whether or not you actually want to become one now.
    Well I don't want to become one right from the get-go. I just wanted to be promoted by surprise, as that's the decision of the other mods.

Back