• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen In-Game Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Ahh didnt realise that I thought they only changed when you connected to the internet and updated via the news channel on the dexnav.

The way it works is you get 1 new island every day at midnight and one of your old ones disappear (you only get 1 Mirage island at a time naturally), the Dexnav gives you more islands based on how many friends/passersby you have and what islands they have so if you have a lot of people you passed that day, you can have numerous islands

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Ahh I see, I got lucky and got Uxie et al and Cresselias islands fairly easily, the only legendaries left I think are the Musketeers and dimensional tear ones which ill get to eventually.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    hey idk if anyone is having trouble trying to dex chain but ive bedn getting chains where the lvls are varying and im still continuing my chain becaus lvls going up not by 1 they start off good then go down or up and then back on track if anyone knows if this is ok let me know thanks

does anyone know if im still chaining properly

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    hey idk if anyone is having trouble trying to dex chain but ive bedn getting chains where the lvls are varying and im still continuing my chain becaus lvls going up not by 1 they start off good then go down or up and then back on track if anyone knows if this is ok let me know thanks

does anyone know if im still chaining properly

Are you KOing or catching the pokemon? Cause running breaks the chain (even though running still increases the find level) and even if you are chaining properly, the levels and IVs don't build with subsequent encounters, the chance of them occurring increases, but you can still get 1 or 0 IVs, normal levels, normal moves, normal abilities, etc.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I am currently dex nav chaining for a shiny and was wondering if the chain of 40 increases the odds does it continue to increase when the chain is around 200?

Unlike the PokéRadar in X and Y, DexNav chaining doesn't increase your chances of encountering a shiny. That means your chances of encountering a shiny in the wild is the same as chaining through the DexNav. :/ The only thing that increases your chances of getting a shiny in ORAS is the Shiny Charm.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2015
    Are you KOing or catching the pokemon? Cause running breaks the chain (even though running still increases the find level) and even if you are chaining properly, the levels and IVs don't build with subsequent encounters, the chance of them occurring increases, but you can still get 1 or 0 IVs, normal levels, normal moves, normal abilities, etc.

ya i know about the ivs and stuff im koing them its just the lvls vary somtimes ive gotten 3 shinys from chaining but i just wasnt sure this time cause i always thought every chain went up in lvls the same way35,35,35,35,45,36,36 and so on my lvls were like 35,35,33,36,45 but it still seems to work.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Any good healing ideas for Reckless Emboar? To make use of it's ability I have Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Head Smash and Hammer Arm on it (the last one doesn't make use of it's ability, I'm just saying what's there!) but as you might expect, it REALLY can't last very long so I'm just curious as to what healing options/ideas people might have to help me last a bit longer. I tried Shell Bell thinking that there would be so much damage I might be able to last a bit longer but nope! I'm just losing too much HP on most attacks for it to help. I thought of Leftovers, but I don't think Embiar would last long enough for it to make any difference. I then thought if Rest + Chesto(?) Berry (the one that wakes you up), but that would only work once and after that it would be asleep for 2 turns, so treb I thought about Sitrus Berry but I'm not sure if that would even be worthwhile, so does anyone have any ideas on how to make a reckless emboar last a bit longer? Drain Punch would have been PERFECT but it can't learn it (yet stupid Slurpuff can?? What the heck is with that?!) thanks for any ideas

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Any good healing ideas for Reckless Emboar? To make use of it's ability I have Flare Blitz, Wild Charge, Head Smash and Hammer Arm on it (the last one doesn't make use of it's ability, I'm just saying what's there!) but as you might expect, it REALLY can't last very long so I'm just curious as to what healing options/ideas people might have to help me last a bit longer. I tried Shell Bell thinking that there would be so much damage I might be able to last a bit longer but nope! I'm just losing too much HP on most attacks for it to help. I thought of Leftovers, but I don't think Embiar would last long enough for it to make any difference. I then thought if Rest + Chesto(?) Berry (the one that wakes you up), but that would only work once and after that it would be asleep for 2 turns, so treb I thought about Sitrus Berry but I'm not sure if that would even be worthwhile, so does anyone have any ideas on how to make a reckless emboar last a bit longer? thanks for any ideas
    One other thing to try is to pass Wishes to Emboar from some bulky-ass thing like Chansey, Vaporeon, Clefable, etc.

Drain Punch would have been PERFECT but it can't learn it (yet stupid Slurpuff can?? What the heck is with that?!)
    Wooper gets Ice Punch -_-

Years
  • And for my own topic, getting to the DexNav, I found out that Pokémon can max at 999 Search Level, but it doesn't have any real effect beyond 100, does it?

As far as I know, nope. To be specific, here's each effect that's activated at a certain Search Level:
    • Start: Boosted level, egg move (in place of First Move) and 1-star potential
    • Level 2: First move
    • Level 3: Ability or held items
    • Level 10: 2-star potential and Hidden Ability
    • Level 25: 3-star potential

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Hi, I'm looking for an in depth guide on breeding in ORAS. I specifically care about probabilities for inheriting abilities. I want to know the actual numbers, not get vague statements like serebii saying "If the father has got the Hidden Ability, there is a small chance that the offspring will also have their Hidden Ability". I've been googling, and any guides with specific numbers seem to be gen V and older. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Hi, I'm looking for an in depth guide on breeding in ORAS. I specifically care about probabilities for inheriting abilities. I want to know the actual numbers, not get vague statements like serebii saying "If the father has got the Hidden Ability, there is a small chance that the offspring will also have their Hidden Ability". I've been googling, and any guides with specific numbers seem to be gen V and older. Thanks!

Pretty much the only thing you need to know is the female has an 80% chance of passing down her current ability (so breed a bunch of pokemon and only breed using the females that have the ability you want, release the rest) meaning that it has a 20% chance of passing on the ability it doesn't currently have, and the male has a 0% chance of passing on it's ability UNLESS it's bred with a ditto. No idea what the percent of the male with a ditto is, but it still seems to be more often when the male has the ability you want vs the male passing on the ability it doesn't have.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Pretty much the only thing you need to know is the female has an 80% chance of passing down her current ability (so breed a bunch of pokemon and only breed using the females that have the ability you want, release the rest) meaning that it has a 20% chance of passing on the ability it doesn't currently have, and the male has a 0% chance of passing on it's ability UNLESS it's bred with a ditto. No idea what the percent of the male with a ditto is, but it still seems to be more often when the male has the ability you want vs the male passing on the ability it doesn't have.
    Thanks for the answer, but to be clear, I'm not asking for practical in game reasons. I want the actual percentages for hidden abilities so that I can mimic them in a 3rd gen rom hack.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Thanks for the answer, but to be clear, I'm not asking for practical in game reasons. I want the actual percentages for hidden abilities so that I can mimic them in a 3rd gen rom hack.

OKAY so that's totally different as the mechanics for gen 3 are totally different than current gen (you should have been clear, lol!) But anyway, back in gen 3, (either in the wild, or possibly both breeding AND in the wild) the chance of getting either ability was 50% (because there were only a maximum of 2 abilities pokemon could have) in future generations, the ratio got changed to 60% if the female had the ability and 20% of any of the other abilities (0% if the female had a non hidden ability and you were trying to breed for a hidden ability, and yes, I know 60% + 20% doesn't make 100%, but I didn't program the game!) but like I said, in the current gen, the ability passed on from the female is now 80%, with 20% being one of the other abilities as long as one of the parents is not Ditto, 0% of the father passing down it's ability (hidden or otherwise) UNLESS the other parent is a ditto, in which case the father now has 80% chance of passing on the ability: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ability

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    OKAY so that's totally different as the mechanics for gen 3 are totally different than current gen (you should have been clear, lol!) But anyway, back in gen 3, (either in the wild, or possibly both breeding AND in the wild) the chance of getting either ability was 50% (because there were only a maximum of 2 abilities pokemon could have) in future generations, the ratio got changed to 60% if the female had the ability and 20% of any of the other abilities (0% if the female had a non hidden ability and you were trying to breed for a hidden ability, and yes, I know 60% + 20% doesn't make 100%, but I didn't program the game!) but like I said, in the current gen, the ability passed on from the female is now 80%, with 20% being one of the other abilities as long as one of the parents is not Ditto, 0% of the father passing down it's ability (hidden or otherwise) UNLESS the other parent is a ditto, in which case the father now has 80% chance of passing on the ability: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ability
    I'm reading over that link again, and it appears I was under the mistaken impression that there were more changes between gen V and gen VI. I knew the 80% and 60% numbers, but I thought that the hidden abilities percentages were tweaked in gen VI. I've read on other sites that the probabilities changed in more ways than just male + Ditto, and I've even seen it mentioned that the probability increases if you have two parents with the hidden ability, but not explaining by how much. I've seen male with hidden + Ditto has a lower chance than female with hidden + Ditto. I've seen a lot of claims with no accompanying numbers. But are you saying (based on that link) that in terms of hidden abilities, the only difference between gen V and gen VI is that male/female+Ditto now has a 60% chance of passing a hidden ability? It's just that I've read stuff in other places that conflict with that...but admittedly, Bulbapedia is likely more reliable, and I should have just stuck to it. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'm reading over that link again, and it appears I was under the mistaken impression that there were more changes between gen V and gen VI. I knew the 80% and 60% numbers, but I thought that the hidden abilities percentages were tweaked in gen VI. I've read on other sites that the probabilities changed in more ways than just male + Ditto, and I've even seen it mentioned that the probability increases if you have two parents with the hidden ability, but not explaining by how much. I've seen male with hidden + Ditto has a lower chance than female with hidden + Ditto. I've seen a lot of claims with no accompanying numbers. But are you saying (based on that link) that in terms of hidden abilities, the only difference between gen V and gen VI is that male/female+Ditto now has a 60% chance of passing a hidden ability? It's just that I've read stuff in other places that conflict with that...but admittedly, Bulbapedia is likely more reliable, and I should have just stuck to it. Thanks for the help!

Well, there's more difference than that, namely being that in gen 5 NO male could ever pass on it's hidden ability under any circumstance whatsoever. Gen 6 now allows that. So a male or female bred with a ditto can pass on it's hidden ability, a male and a female of the same species however ONLY the female can pass on the ability (hidden or otherwise), the male cannot pass it's ability down to it's offspring unless it is bred with a ditto (my presumption is to prevent a normal male ability to pass down to a female offspring where that ability would be the female species hidden ability, preventing you from getting a species' hidden ability unless you actually caught a pokemon with the hidden ability legitimately) . And that link doesn't say it's a 60% chance now, but rather an 80% chance (in gen 6, gen 5 was indeed 60%)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Well, there's more difference than that, namely being that in gen 5 NO male could ever pass on it's hidden ability under any circumstance whatsoever. Gen 6 now allows that. So a male or female bred with a ditto can pass on it's hidden ability, a male and a female of the same species however ONLY the female can pass on the ability (hidden or otherwise), the male cannot pass it's ability down to it's offspring unless it is bred with a ditto (my presumption is to prevent a normal male ability to pass down to a female offspring where that ability would be the female species hidden ability, preventing you from getting a species' hidden ability unless you actually caught a pokemon with the hidden ability legitimately) . And that link doesn't say it's a 60% chance now, but rather an 80% chance (in gen 6, gen 5 was indeed 60%)
    Err I don't think that 80% thing is correct. Or if it is, that page has a logical inconsistency. The 80% comes from a different paragraph.

Hidden Abilities Section:
    If a female Pokémon has a Hidden Ability and is bred, it has a 60% chance of giving that Ability to each of its children.

Abilities Section:
    However, starting from Pokémon Black and White, there is an 80% chance of the resulting offspring having the same "slotted" Ability as its mother and hence a 20% chance of the other Ability being passed down as long as the other parent is not Ditto.

Hidden abilities were introduced in gen V. If the percentage were changed to 80% in Black and White, when was it ever 60%? The quote from the hidden abilities section would make no sense. The abilities section mentions "slotted" abilities, which usually refers to the pair of normal abilities. Reading the abilities paragraph, I'm 99% sure it only refers to regular abilities, not hidden.

Last edited:

ugtgrime

Lomax
    Years
  • Currently training for the E4 (first time), and going for this team, I like to think it's balanced. Opinions guys?

Sceptile
    Blaziken
    Zoroark
    MM Cosplay Pikachu
    Gyrados/Golduck
    Bravairy/Gallade/Gardevoir/Swalot

Opinions please guys? P.s not using legendaries for first HOF.

Years
  • Currently training for the E4 (first time), and going for this team, I like to think it's balanced. Opinions guys?

Sceptile
    Blaziken
    Zoroark
    MM Cosplay Pikachu
    Gyrados/Golduck
    Bravairy/Gallade/Gardevoir/Swalot

Opinions please guys? P.s not using legendaries for first HOF.

Could you list your moves? It'll be really hard for me to patch up movesets if I don't know them.

However, as for which Pokemon you should use, out of Gyarados and Golduck I think Gyarados is more stronger but unlike Gyarados who is mainly physical, Golduck can go mixed so if you need to go down that route you could use Golduck.

Gardevoir would be really good to have considering she's a Fairy-type this generation and that could really help against Drake, since Fairy destroys him. Cosplay Pikachu I'm not quite sure about, since she's pretty frail and because she can't evolve it'll make her difficult to use.

Your team is looking fine, although the large Ice weakness could make Glacia a bit hard. Thankfully Blaziken can handle her easily, but still needs to be careful of Walrein which is part Water-type.

Last edited:

ugtgrime

Lomax
    Years
  • I may look at getting a different electric type then. Once I've levelled up Zoroark to 50 ill let you know the move set I'm going with (:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back