• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen May 16 Pokémon Sunday update: Battle Scene footage!

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The attacks we saw were Special though, I wonder if Pokemon will run up and attack the opponent with Physical attacks...

I would love that, but the cynical in me doubts it. I can see them just moving from where they are just a tad, not all the way up to the opponent Pokemon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    It really just seems to have gone where the Digimon series has been for a while, with moving battle sprites.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Love, Love, LOVEEEE the battle animations and how they constantly move. I wonder if they will be mobile when you view their summaries too.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Upon watching that video, I proceeded to make a mess in my bed. Nice job Nintendo. D:

I'm actually quite surprised considering it's on the same hardware as DPPtHGSS, and the release date doesn't create a significantly longer gap than any previous pokemon releases. :o

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I'm blown away. It looks so great! It fits with the whole 3D concept, and I love everything about it, I love how the camera angles in certain directions when a Pokemon uses an attack! This is going to be great, and what's even better is that there is a different movement pattern for every Pokemon, atleast, that's what it looks like.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
  • OMG !!!...let me say it again OMG !!!...We won't be able to recognize it's pokemon ??...Hell yeah !..My desire for B/W just went off the roof !

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I think the breathing is a little much to be honest I wouldn't mind if they had different sprites for different Status'

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the status changes when thinking about this. I doubt they would make separate sleeping sprites, but maybe, for example, if the Pokemon is frozen it would stand still and be encased in ice instead of showing the ice after every turn.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You're all brainwashed and need to play more R/B/Y :(

Yeah... not appealing to me, really. The animations are just, animations? I dunno what has gotten most of you excited, since it's not like they're battling in the field, they're just moving a little in the battle. Doesn't look realistic at all to me. Same goes for the other footage of the walking and such, seems kinda fake. As I thought before, doesn't seem like Pokemon anymore, and if you guys like that, fine by me, but simple things amuse simple minds.

No offence or anything.

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
    Years
  • Did anyone else get a 'Pokemon Stadium meets Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire' vibe from the battle/town music in this video?

I'm liking the more dynamic and action packed battle style in this generation so far, but I hope the sprites don't make that same idle animation all the time. It would be better if they either made the animation a little more subtle, or had them occur every 5 or so seconds. Of course this is only the case for Raikou at the minute and I'm sure it varies for each Pokemon.

However, I think this is a great step forward, but it's a bit of a risky move from Game freak; the setting has changed to what seems like a more Western based modern region and the player characters are now apparently older which has implications that they want to go for a more serious plot-line. Perhaps Game Freak wanted to take inspiration from Mother 3 with a tongue in cheek RPG that has no problem with being serious when it wants to be.

In short, they've managed to make me excited again.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    Battle System Discussion

What are your opinions on the new battle system?
    Do you love it?
    do you hate it?
    I personally think it's revolutionary.
    Pokebeach has Two Videos up showing off the battle system.
    when ever there are new updates on the battle system, i will post them here

Last edited:

nielsnijhof

Pokemon Master in training
    Years
  • I really like the new battle-system, the moving/"living" Pokemon really gives a new feel to it :D

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • If status adds a new dimension to their movements and look, I'll drop my jaw. (Actually sleeping after that hypnosis? That'd be cool.)

Outside of the major news from this footage, the information bars are far less invasive. Looking back on HGSS's battle information on-screen, those bulky silver boxes, they've really trimmed things down. They're sleek with black and white bars and seem like a pleasing change to me. :D

Lexxy

sup brah?
    Years
  • I love it!

I'm loving how the Pokemon move all throughout the battle like living creatures. Also the full body of your pokemon is really an upgrade! This is like a dream come true for me!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    It makes it feel like a next step to the future of Pokemon, and it is, I think it fits nicely.

yomamathecableguy

Has a lot of projects going on
    Years
  • You're all brainwashed and need to play more R/B/Y :(

Yeah... not appealing to me, really. The animations are just, animations? I dunno what has gotten most of you excited, since it's not like they're battling in the field, they're just moving a little in the battle. Doesn't look realistic at all to me. Same goes for the other footage of the walking and such, seems kinda fake. As I thought before, doesn't seem like Pokemon anymore, and if you guys like that, fine by me, but simple things amuse simple minds.

No offence or anything.

lol I understand where you're coming from, and I love the originals as well.. however, you can't tell me that R/B/Y's battles are more realistic than this. :P This may not be "realistic", but they can't just jump from static sprites to complete realism in one generation.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • It shows yet another innovation in the world of pokemon gaming. It's as big a leap as abilities, physical/special split etc. in my opinion. It will really enhance the quality of the game. I'm not saying that it alone will make it a particularly good game, but it's always nice to put some new wallpaper up in your living room isn't it?

Back