• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Do you think there will be new Mega forms?

• Yes

Votes: 232 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
  • Flying STAB basically has the same Coverage as Normal STAB. Hurricane is already 120, Boomburst is only 20 points more.

And yes it is rather stupid for one of the FEW normal type Special Attackers not to have Hyper Voice.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Well, old Pokémon ROMs also had several blank slots for new Pokémon, as well as items.

Blank slots? No sir, that would throw errors. Instead, they used this cool guy:

Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Mega Missingno ftw

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Boomburst has 140 BP and is superior to all those moves. Right now Pidgeot has no good Normal STAB apart from lolHyperbeam. Just because his ability is No Guard, doesn't mean he shouldn't get high-powered 100% accuracy moves like Boomburst, which is a fantastic move.

Also, mixed set? Did you know Pidgeot keeps his mediocre 80 base Attack upon Mega Evolving? This is supposed to be a Special sweeper.

I'd give him Focus Blast and Boomburst. Would be ridiculously OP and put him where he deserves.
    I'll be horribly walled by Ghost types though compared to Exploud. I hope for a Mega Exploud with Scrappy and massive special attack.

Years
  • Hurricane > ghosts. He also has Heat Wave to deal with Aegislash.

Shame they lowered Hurricane and all the clones' BP this gen.
    Some, but special defensive Ghosts will not have too much trouble with it.
    It truly is, same goes for Aura Sphere and Dragon Pulse. Their higher power probably would've helped Mega Blastoise and Clawitzer out a bit as they would've have had a BP of 135 after the boost instead of a BP of around 127.5 after the boost for Dragon Pulse.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    So the fact that Mega Pidgeot is a special attacker that lacks one of the most reliable special Normal moves (Boomburst) is just a way to learn it may not be used as much as people would first think. It doesn't even get Hyper Voice, making it have to settle on the "awesome but impractical" Hyper Beam as a Normal STAB, and we all know the risks with that move. It also learns Round (another sound-based special Normal move) but that move is really weak in base power.

Perfect-accuracy Hurricanes will likely be the only thing it'll have going for it. But yeah, I can definitely say it's one of the rare instances that a Mega actually gets screwed in terms of movepool.

Can't Pidgeot learn Air Slash, however? It's a flying-type move, which would give it slight boost, and to top it, it's also got some chance of making opponent flinch. Although chances of it would be much, more great if it had Serene Grace ability, I'm sure majority of competitive players still be able to settle with it. Also, although these are transfer-only in X and Y (hopefully, this'll change in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire), it's also able to teach itself Heat Wave and Ominous Wind. Latter is pretty special, since it's got chance of raising all stats of user at once.

Years
  • Can't Pidgeot learn Air Slash, however? It's a flying-type move, which would give it slight boost, and to top it, it's also got some chance of making opponent flinch. Although chances of it would be much, more great if it had Serene Grace ability, I'm sure majority of competitive players still be able to settle with it. Also, although these are transfer-only in X and Y (hopefully, this'll change in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire), it's also able to teach itself Heat Wave and Ominous Wind. Latter is pretty special, since it's got chance of raising all stats of user at once.

I know about Air Slash, but that's really only used on Togekiss who has Serene Grace. It's got Ominous Wind and Heat Wave but the former has a weak base power making it not as effective, while Heat Wave's only use is in doubles/triples.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Also, mixed set? Did you know Pidgeot keeps his mediocre 80 base Attack upon Mega Evolving? This is supposed to be a Special sweeper.
    But Attack is the stat pidgeot would use before mega evolving, so it'd be good to have that option if you couldn't mega evolve it for whatever reason. Besides, 80 power with a 100 BP move and STAB isn't half bad.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • But Attack is the stat pidgeot would use before mega evolving, so it'd be good to have that option if you couldn't mega evolve it for whatever reason. Besides, 80 power with a 100 BP move and STAB isn't half bad.

If you're using Pidgeot and Beedrill (or Charizard, or any Pokémon that used to be NU) in a serious team, you can and will Mega Evolve them. There's no reason not to, and nothing stopping you from doing that.

Even if you didn't Mega Evolve him, Boomburst would be superior to Egg Bomb (lol). It's a 210 BP move vs a 150 BP one, and the difference between base Attack and Sp.Atk. is just 10 points. That's not to mention that, if you're even considering Mega Pidgeot, you're gonna dump all his offensive EVs in Sp.Atk., and possibly use a -Attack +Speed nature, which means his Attack will be even more useless.

Last edited:

Years
  • Speaking of Togekiss I'll like to see Mega Togekiss. With a large boost in it's speed, and special attack with a minor boost to it's defenses. Also a decrease of it's attack to further boost those stats.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • If you're using Pidgeot and Beedrill (or Charizard, or any Pokémon that used to be NU) in a serious team, you can and will Mega Evolve them. There's no reason not to, and nothing stopping you from doing that.

Even if you didn't Mega Evolve him, Boomburst would be superior to Egg Bomb (lol). It's a 210 BP move vs a 150 BP one, and the difference between base Attack and Sp.Atk. is just 10 points. That's not to mention that, if you're even considering Mega Pidgeot, you're gonna dump all his offensive EVs in Sp.Atk., and possibly use a -Attack +Speed nature, which means his Attack will be even more useless.

I'm not saying egg bomb is stronger, but it makes more sense and isn't terrible. Pidgeot learning boomburst makes no sense. The fact that it would make it stronger doesn't change that. Zygarde would have a more reliable physical Dragon STAB with dragon claw, but since it doesn't make any sense for it to have (What with it being a serpent), no one thinks it should get that.

Aside from swellow, which I've already noted my annoyance with, every user of boomburst is based around sound. Noivern has speaker-like ears, Exploud is basically an organic amplifier/ pipe organ, and chatot is able to copy sounds it's heard almost flawlessly. Pidgeot, meanwhile, is a big Super Saiyan Bird. It throwing eggs makes more sense than it somehow making noise loud enough to hurt other pokemon.

Not only that, but boomburst is mainly only given to pokemon who really need it. It's noivern's only reliable move to hit hordes or multiple doubles/triples opponants, and boost to the otherwise mediocre at best chatot and exploud. Mega pidgeot may not have a terribly deep movepoo, but it can do fine with what it has. Giving it hyper voice would be okay, but boomburst would be too much.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I'm not saying egg bomb is stronger, but it makes more sense and isn't terrible. Pidgeot learning boomburst makes no sense. The fact that it would make it stronger doesn't change that. Zygarde would have a more reliable physical Dragon STAB with dragon claw, but since it doesn't make any sense for it to have (What with it being a serpent), no one thinks it should get that.

Aside from swellow, which I've already noted my annoyance with, every user of boomburst is based around sound. Noivern has speaker-like ears, Exploud is basically an organic amplifier/ pipe organ, and chatot is able to copy sounds it's heard almost flawlessly. Pidgeot, meanwhile, is a big Super Saiyan Bird. It throwing eggs makes more sense than it somehow making noise loud enough to hurt other pokemon.

Not only that, but boomburst is mainly only given to pokemon who really need it. It's noivern's only reliable move to hit hordes or multiple doubles/triples opponants, and boost to the otherwise mediocre at best chatot and exploud. Mega pidgeot may not have a terribly deep movepoo, but it can do fine with what it has. Giving it hyper voice would be okay, but boomburst would be too much.

There are lots of Pokémon with moves that make no sense. Manectric, for example, learns Fire-type moves. Does that make any sense?

Egg Bomb wouldn't help Pidgeot at all. It's a physical move, whereas his Mega is Special-based. It also makes even less sense than Boomburst, because all the Pokémon that learn Egg Bomb have egg-like appendages (Exeggcute, Chansey). Remember that Pidgeot being a bird doesn't give it any more sense, since all Pokémon who can breed lay eggs. Yet Egg Bomb is a very restricted move.

Besides, Pidgeot can learn Return which has the same BP as Egg Bomb at full power.

Hyper Voice could help Pidgeot, considering he learns Uproar, but IMO makes less sense than Boomburst.

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
  • I have heard that it appears that a large chunk of data from the ORAS demo has in fact been removed, this would lead one to think that Game Freak has certain elements that they ARE saving for release and will keep a secret until then (Mega Flygon,
    Mega Milotic or Mega Hariyama anyone?)

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Hyper Voice could help Pidgeot, considering he learns Uproar, but IMO makes less sense than Boomburst.

How so? Boomburst is a move which is clearly depicted as an excessively loud noise that is able to shake the ground underneath the user and cause damage to all that hear it. Hyper voice is just a loud, echoing call. Pigeons are not exactly famous for their thunderingly loud shouts.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Huge power with 120+ base attack would be way too OP, in my opinion. I'd say either sheer force or adaptability.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back