• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega Evolutions in Alola

Which would you rather they add more of in Sun/Moon?

• Total voters

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
  • I hope Mega Evolutions stay, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, please don't add any more. Just go on with Alolan Formes.

We have enough mega evolutions. Concepts like Alolan Formes and the Z-Move are way cooler.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    To be honest, I don't mind if Mega Evolutions stay, but unless they have severe handicaps or are post-game they suck out the fun of gameplay for me. Let me explain, sure, in competitive battling it helps a lot( since Hyper Training is introduced I can finally actually try competitive battling),but the main problem I had with them from the start was that they are SOOOOOO unbalanced. Taking out the fact that the AI in XY was a 12/225( People actually checked this) and that Junichi Masuda made the game easier on purpose for smartphone kids( I'm not joking when I state this. Just look up the interview) other than some important trainers like the champion or Korrina, NO ONE ELSE USES MEGAS IN-GAME. Like, when I use them, it's fun...for a while...but I just got bored with them afterwards as I just steamrolled through everything. Wouldn't it be cool if in late game you found a youngster with Mega Pidgeot? It would be amazing and actually set a challenge against your Mega! In ORAS/XY nothing stopped you from having a full team with Megastones. Yeah you could only use them once per battle, but if you know what you're doing it's pretty freaking easy to steamroll through everything. Plus you can switch and STILL BE IN the Mega form. It's insane.

I get it, it helps pokemon that were garbage/meh-ish to actual become better, but they need to balance it somehow. As much as I loved to use them, they need some more handicaps.( Like one Mega stone on ONE Pokemon for battle. That's it. Or if not, just make it post-game). I know some people might be turned off by my idea, but damn Megas are way too OP and unfair to some pokemon who are popular coughMewtwocough. I'm actually pretty glad Alola forms exist given that they actually give Pokemon that need it a PERMANENT change to their typing and stats than having it be temporary.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Revealing more Mega evolutions would take the Alolan forms out of the spotlight which seem to be the main focus of S/M. It would be wise for them to reveal them just before the release or once all the Alolan forms have been revealed.
    While I wouldn't be against them not revealing any new Megas until closer to the games' release, or even leaving them completely unrevealed, I'd rather there be some Alola forms not shown prior to launch. Revealing certain numbers is understandable because it helps people decide if they want the game or not (and TPC can start producing products of them earlier) but I really enjoy finding some for myself in-game. I know I'm not the only one.

To be honest, I don't mind if Mega Evolutions stay, but unless they have severe handicaps or are post-game they suck out the fun of gameplay for me. Let me explain, sure, in competitive battling it helps a lot( since Hyper Training is introduced I can finally actually try competitive battling),but the main problem I had with them from the start was that they are SOOOOOO unbalanced. Taking out the fact that the AI in XY was a 12/225( People actually checked this) and that Junichi Masuda made the game easier on purpose for smartphone kids( I'm not joking when I state this. Just look up the interview) other than some important trainers like the champion or Korrina, NO ONE ELSE USES MEGAS IN-GAME. Like, when I use them, it's fun...for a while...but I just got bored with them afterwards as I just steamrolled through everything. Wouldn't it be cool if in late game you found a youngster with Mega Pidgeot? It would be amazing and actually set a challenge against your Mega! In ORAS/XY nothing stopped you from having a full team with Megastones. Yeah you could only use them once per battle, but if you know what you're doing it's pretty freaking easy to steamroll through everything. Plus you can switch and STILL BE IN the Mega form. It's insane.

I get it, it helps pokemon that were garbage/meh-ish to actual become better, but they need to balance it somehow. As much as I loved to use them, they need some more handicaps.( Like one Mega stone on ONE Pokemon for battle. That's it. Or if not, just make it post-game). I know some people might be turned off by my idea, but damn Megas are way too OP and unfair to some pokemon who are popular coughMewtwocough. I'm actually pretty glad Alola forms exist given that they actually give Pokemon that need it a PERMANENT change to their typing and stats than having it be temporary.
    This is way more a problem with the main story difficulty getting easier and easier rather than a problem with Megas themselves. There were a ton of missed opportunities with Megas in XY, such as the double battle against the two scientists who used Houndoom and Manectric--that's just asking for a Mega Evolution battle, I mean come on! And even ORAS missed some good opportunities for this too, like giving appropriate Megas to the Elite Four. But again, it's more a problem with the overall difficulty of the game; I didn't use any Mega whatsoever the first time I played through X and it was still absurdly easy.

That being said I do think keeping the mechanic confined to the post-game would not only help prevent powering through the main story as you said, but also give the player some incentive to give another pass through the region and act as at least some sort of post-game feature, even if it's minor compared to post-games of old.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I think it's very interesting to note that in ORAS, the Elite Four did have megas....

... after you rematched them. .__.

That was such bullshit. They could've made the new Elite Four an actual challenge like Cynthia but they didn't CoughStupidsmartphonekidsCough Or they could have at least had some variety. If Mega Absol is a thing why not let Sydney switch it up with a Mega Houndoom or Sharpedo once in a while? I hope Sun and Moon has some enjoyment factor with it's Mega's or else I'm really gonna be pissed.

P.S. Mega Flygon please? Or at least an Alolan Flygon so it gets a boost? Please?

Years
  • This is way more a problem with the main story difficulty getting easier and easier rather than a problem with Megas themselves. There were a ton of missed opportunities with Megas in XY, such as the double battle against the two scientists who used Houndoom and Manectric--that's just asking for a Mega Evolution battle, I mean come on! And even ORAS missed some good opportunities for this too, like giving appropriate Megas to the Elite Four. But again, it's more a problem with the overall difficulty of the game; I didn't use any Mega whatsoever the first time I played through X and it was still absurdly easy.

That being said I do think keeping the mechanic confined to the post-game would not only help prevent powering through the main story as you said, but also give the player some incentive to give another pass through the region and act as at least some sort of post-game feature, even if it's minor compared to post-games of old.

OR/AS had the Elite Four use Mega Evolution but that was only in the rematch against them.

But like you said, it's mainly because the storyline is getting easier with every new game. Kids these days are more likely to pick up a smartphone than a 3DS (because you know, mobile gaming popularity) so they may not know how the main Pokemon games work, and that's why we have things like catching tutorials that are being forced at the start in every game, and with the new battle interface now having effectiveness indicators on your move selection screen it shows that Sun & Moon are being even more newcomer-friendly. It's due to keeping the main story easy for newcomers that we didn't see many NPCs use Mega Evolution in 6th Gen.

I don't mind if Mega Evolution is kept to the postgame since the mechanic is not getting focused anymore but at least give some incentive to want to complete the main story, like you said.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    For y'all who're complaining about no Mega Evolutions, do you seriously want to travel the entire region just to find a bunch of random stones just so you can temporarily power up your Pokémon in battle?

yes :p
    Alola forms aren't a major stat boost, they just change the type AFAIK.

Years
  • I think Alola Forms will get stat changes, since Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash's bio mentioned they did get slower with their new form.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I liked Mega Evolution last Gen but the ones who got them was odd although I like how it changed some neutral looking Shinies. (Although I may be biased as I have a Shiny Female Garchomp)

Whilst I like most of the Alohan forms I'd like to see Dragonnite get something this Gen after being overlooked last Gen. Either a Mega Evolution or an Alohan form (Maybe Dragon/Fairy) would be good.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    i want mega rayquazas dragon accent to be altered into a z move if mega evolution do come back

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    That... may actually make it less OP. Because Rayquaza would have to hold the Flying-Type Z-Gem thing in order to use it. Whereas before it was just a tutor move and Rayquaza could hold any Item it wants... That's really interesting. I definitely wouldn't be against that.

But then it would heavily imply some sort of connection between Z-Moves and Mega Evolution. Not that that's a bad thing, but there'd have to be some lore to go along with that.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I can't tell if that would make it more or less broken than it is.
    this:
    That... may actually make it less OP. Because Rayquaza would have to hold the Flying-Type Z-Gem thing in order to use it. Whereas before it was just a tutor move and Rayquaza could hold any Item it wants... That's really interesting. I definitely wouldn't be against that.

But then it would heavily imply some sort of connection between Z-Moves and Mega Evolution. Not that that's a bad thing, but there'd have to be some lore to go along with that.
    and not only that but it also would be unable to use a z move while mega evolved. it could just be explained with the same thing that explains alola forms: difference in climate.
    hmmm makes me wonder how thats gonna effect deoxys as it initially changed form depending upon region due to the differences in climate between hoenn, kanto & orre

demifiend700

Creator of Pokemon Nova
    Years
  • Sadly, I don't think megas will return, especially when the creators have been stressing all of these new mechanics (Alola Forms, Z-Moves, etc.)
    I have a feeling that they're gone for good.

shadowmoon522

Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Sadly, I don't think megas will return, especially when the creators have been stressing all of these new mechanics (Alola Forms, Z-Moves, etc.)
    I have a feeling that they're gone for good.

i don't seem to recall them putting much focus & black kyurem or white kyurem when XY where released, and that thing was a fusion.
    they also seem to be keeping more to themselves this time around as well.

Years
  • So with the reveal of certain Pokemon having exclusive Z-Moves (as shown with Snorlax and Alolan Raichu in the new trailer) who thinks this mechanic is replacing Mega Evolution altogether? Remember we still haven't had any hints to Megas returning.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    So with the reveal of certain Pokemon having exclusive Z-Moves (as shown with Snorlax and Alolan Raichu in the new trailer) who thinks this mechanic is replacing Mega Evolution altogether? Remember we still haven't had any hints to Megas returning.

If Megas are genuinely not even going to return I may not even purchase the games at launch. Some of my favorite Pokémon are Megas and to just remove the mechanic altogether is absurd and unwarranted. Giving exclusive Z Moves to Pokémon who don't have Megas is one thing, but having these replace them? I genuinely don't think I could come up with a reason to justify that.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • I don't understand why people think they're going to get removed? I can't think of any form besides Gizamimi Pichu and Shadow Pokemon that were exclusive to one generation, much less a major feature of that generation. They went through the trouble to keep making Skymin, Therian genies, Deoxys, etc. in the game and Rotom is even getting a new form after three generations.

What is almost certain is that megas are going to get reworked, like tweaking abilities or BST. I believe one of the devs is on record talking about nerfing Mega Kanga and megas as power creep is a hot topic in the competitive community. They probably are going to focus on Alolan forms and Z moves this time around and there will be no new megas, given that they were a massive failure as far as game balance goes so it is probably best not to introduce more for the time being.

Back