• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    Also, does anyone agree that Psychic is somewhere in between Light and Dark... here is how I think of it

Light: generally Holy, angelic, innocent, and pure. Of course there will be times where it does actually involve illumination, but this is not the general basis of the type. It opposes the Dark type in every way, being weak to it, while simultaneously being Super Effective on it...

Dark: Sinister, evil, and often the absence of light. Already, most Dark types have a very intimidating appearance and are often black in color.

Psychic: Telepathic/Telekinetic. Mind Control/Reading, Magic... I think of Psychic as the one which would bring darkness and light together, but not actually being apart of either. Just think of tarot cards and voodoo.

Well... Psychic is like magic. However, it does delve into the darkness and the supernatural. Probably why Ghost is super effective against it and dark almost completely overpowers it.

Aside from that... I see no link to it being somewhere between light and darkness... In fact, I may even go as far as saying it's CLOSER to Dark than it is to Light as it can possibly be linked with Black Magic... Just my thoughts on that...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Thats why I say it is somewhere in between the two since it demonstrates traits from both magic and black magic...

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    Thats why I say it is somewhere in between the two since it demonstrates traits from both magic and black magic...

And it does create "Light Effects" in the anime when the attacks are used. lol

But in all honesty, it's because Psychic is so similar to grey, which is probably why some believe there should be a PURE white just as Dark is like PURE black... In fact, MOST Dark Pokemon if not ALL of them are Black... I think the only Dark Type I can think of who isn't positively radiating the color black is Tyranitar...

Did some research, the pure Dark-Types are INDEED positively radiating the color black. This goes the same for Pokemon with their first type being Dark.

Pokemon with Dark as their Secondary Type are usually a Dark Blue, Purple, or have Black Undertones. Or just look plain damn creepy! lol

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    And Cradaunt... or Sharpedo... or Cacturne... but they are all rather intimidating like I said. But yes, finally someone gets it...

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    And Cradaunt... or Sharpedo... or Cacturne... but they are all rather intimidating like I said. But yes, finally someone gets it...

If you'll remember, I had listed Dark Blue under the color categories. Sharpedo definitely fits under that.

Also, I've mentioned this else where but IF there is a light type:

Super Effective: Ghost, Dark
    Not Very Effective: Grass, (probably) Steel, (probably) Poison
    Weakness: (I don't think so but possible) Dark, (possibly) Poison, Grass (absorbs light)
    Resistance: Fire, Electric...

Is all I can think of SO far...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    For me to clarify on m earlier post; I was referring to light as sunlight. Without sunlight, you can't have grass, water, etc. Therefore, a Light element would more alligned as "Creation"

And Void is destruction, the absence of life, so a Void element would be alligned with "Destruction"

I say this, because we have the Dark type, but it's considered Dark from it's cheap way of fighting (see sucker punch, payback, taunt, pursuit, bite, and crunch if you don't get it. They're cheap ways to fight) which is why the fighting type, or the noble way to fight, is super effective, and why psychics can't control them, because of their nasty minds and such. It's why the Dark type is called the Evil type in Japanese

(forgive me, most of you know this, Im just restating it to backup my idea)

So if you look at it that way, the Dark type can't really work against the Light type if that were to happen, so to add a Void type would be a god parallel.

I've always wondered why Fighting was good against Dark, and that really makes sense! But not all of them have to make sense, just look at Bug vs Dark.

I don't think we need a Void type because Dark could be used to encompass evil as well as the absence of light. For example, Umbreon is Dark because it evolved at night and Pokemon like Cacturne and Drapion are Dark because they're just very intimidating. The same can be said for Light, which could resemble purity and physical light.

Years
  • Now, everyone, forget about your Light types and Void types and Smelly Socks types! Brace yourselves for the greatest, most awesome-est new type you're ever going to see: the Food-type.

That's right.

Food. Type.

We so need it. The games scream out for it with moves like Swallow, Egg Bomb, and Milk Drink. There are some obvious Pokemon who would need a type change, like Exeggcute and Cherubi, but that's a minor consideration for such an important inclusion of this obviously lacking type.

It would be weak to Bug types (they eat it) and Poison types (spoiling and rotting). It would be effective against Fighting types (representing their getting fat from over-eating and loosing their muscle strength) and Dragon types (For the same reason as Fighting types. Everyone knows dragons are gluttons).

It would resist Fire (since food needs to be cooked of course), Electric (microwaving) and Ice (refrigerating your food is good for it). It wouldn't be very effective against Bug types and also Ghost types (ghosts don't need to eat), Rock types (rocks don't eat either), and Steel types (because Steel types have to resist nearly everything - it's in their contract).

I fully expect Game Freak to see the need for this type and to include it. One or two legendaries of this type would be acceptable as long as the champion specializes in this type. After all, you need to showcase the bestest parts of your game.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • A light type would be dumb. No type is overpowered for it to be necessary. Even the strongest type Dragon, has new ways of being dealt with, with Ice Shard stealth Rocks. A light type made JUST for the sole purpose of countering Dark-Types would be stupid since its an easy type to deal with. I hope it doesn't happen, the game is fine the way it is, if its not broke don't fix it.

HunterX101

Always Up for an IV battle
    Years
  • I agree, adding a type doesn't seem like a good idea to me either, Especially a Light type(Its completely un-necessary)

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • A light type would be dumb. No type is overpowered for it to be necessary. Even the strongest type Dragon, has new ways of being dealt with, with Ice Shard stealth Rocks. A light type made JUST for the sole purpose of countering Dark-Types would be stupid since its an easy type to deal with. I hope it doesn't happen, the game is fine the way it is, if its not broke don't fix it.
    Agreed.

I have way too many doubts regarding a new type, not just Light-type. New types haven't been introduced since Gen II, why would they throw a new one in when there are 500 Pokémon to show that the existing 17 types have worked just fine? Not to mention it would probably require re-typing a bunch of existing "light-esque" Pokémon which just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • No, dog type is the best.

...No, seriously, back in pre-dp days there was a big thread somewhere spawned about someone suggesting a dog type. I kid you not. AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

But back to the discussions of light type that spawned about the new legendary - looks like Reshiram is less likely to be light type as Zekrom (the black one) is less likely to be dark type! According to serebii.net, the host of Pokemon Sunday posted on her blog that 'she mentioned about her love for electric types and stated that due to this, she wanted to get Zekrom'. That was quickly edited out but not quickly enough... so to me that seems like an accidental set of very strong suggestions that Zekrom is Electric type. IDK, but I think the case for the Light/Dark relationship between the two took a hit there. =P

Of course - not confirmed. But if she says she likes electric types and says _because of that_ she wants so-and-so... hmm.

Last edited:

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    But back to the discussions of light type that spawned about the new legendary - looks like Reshiram is less likely to be light type as Zekrom (the black one) is less likely to be dark type! According to serebii.net, the host of Pokemon Sunday posted on her blog that 'she mentioned about her love for electric types and stated that due to this, she wanted to get Zekrom'. That was quickly edited out but not quickly enough... so to me that seems like an accidental set of very strong suggestions that Zekrom is Electric type. IDK, but I think the case for the Light/Dark relationship between the two took a hit there. =P

Of course - no confirmed. But if she says she likes electric types and says _because of that_ she wants so-and-so... hmm.

Wow, just saw that on Serebii.net, and you have quite a good point. This statement strongly suggests that Zekrom is an electric-type, though no one speculated so yet, surprisingly. I guess if this end up to be its type, then the get engine/generator tail would be justified. It looks like we just have to wait.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    I thought that Psychic was already kinda like Light, but what the heck, I'll take it.

Years
  • But back to the discussions of light type that spawned about the new legendary - looks like Reshiram is less likely to be light type as Zekrom (the black one) is less likely to be dark type! According to serebii.net, the host of Pokemon Sunday posted on her blog that 'she mentioned about her love for electric types and stated that due to this, she wanted to get Zekrom'. That was quickly edited out but not quickly enough... so to me that seems like an accidental set of very strong suggestions that Zekrom is Electric type. IDK, but I think the case for the Light/Dark relationship between the two took a hit there. =P

Of course - not confirmed. But if she says she likes electric types and says _because of that_ she wants so-and-so... hmm.
    I would like it if it turned out to be an Electric type for no other reason than it messes with assumptions about type/color associations since most wouldn't expect an Electric/Dragon to be colored black. Take that, all you "Luxray should've been Electric/Dark" people.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • they should add light types. they should make it so light type has all the the same weaknesses and super effective types as dark. and dark and light should be super effective against each other.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • ^Vague speculation that has been around ever since 3rd gen, maybe earlier. Some say th legendaries of this gen mak it more likely but given recent news one is apparently electric type and not dark it kinda throws that idea out the window (as it was based on a Dark Type/Light type relationship between the two). Obviously there's still a chance like with every gen, just don't necessarily count on it is all I advise - it's happened every gen. -_-

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Light and Dark would be SE on eachother. When light stands up to the dark, it shines the dark away. When darkness goes into the light, it covers up the light, creating darkness.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back