• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo's Official View On Fangames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeot500

Homeless
Years
  • It seems to me that there should be a group set up for the sole purpose of creating sprite/graphics and releasing them for everyone to use, not just specific games. Of course this might not be possible because of the attitude that might exist around here, especially concerning open source, which seems to lean towards no one sharing/helping with work/code. (Well, honestly, I haven't seen that here, but it does seem prevalent in other places so I would assume it might be here as well.) Also, to prevent people from putting forward their sprites and then claiming ownership, they'd have to release it under the GNU Free Public license (which is a simple thing) and so put it more or less in the public domain.

Hmm... it just occurred to me that it's odd that Richard Stallman made the GNU Free Public License for that very purpose, yet when Linus Torvalds used the GNU toolkit for Linux and it became popular, he suddenly thinks that Linux should be known as "GNU/Linux". More egocentric than a thought... ah, what the world wouldn't be like without egocentric geniuses! :-)

PoKeSaFaRi

Former PokemonSafari Webmaster
    Years
  • First of all, congrat for all that investigation u made DarkMage31! Now I know what can I do and what can't I do if I ever want to make a fan game using a nintendo game to start with...

Editing all graphics and Pok?mon would surely be painful if you haven't got a spriter team around (and lots of time too!)...

So...as said above, Nintendo won't take legal actions against us unless u make a game using their (c) stuff and sell them. While we keep it personal or fan made, with no commercial or lucrative purposes, it should be alright.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Yeah, that's the bottom line. And don't say you're endorsed by them either!
    gamecube will have a successor(my guess)
    Duh... it doesn't take a fake rep to tell you that. It's codenamed Revolution and will continue to "innovate" and will be revealed at the next E3.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I'm wondering: What would Nintendo do if you showed them you fangame? I'm asking this because I have a dream of making a fangame and submitting it to Nintendo to see if they would make it officail. (don't flame me, it's my dream)

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • No one here would think of flaming you, although indeed some of us might inadvertantly crush your dream with harsh realities of legal things. Submitting a fangame to Nintendo and having them accept it isn't impossible it's just improbable IMHO. :)

Well to have some representing Nintendo even look at a fangame you'd have to draw it out, make a presentation, outline it, and some other standard business-ish procedures. Then you'd probably have to arrange a meeting make your proposal. In that case if you show them your proposal what they did would depend on whether you made them think they could turn a profit.

If by show them you mean walk up to someone from Nintendo on the street and hand them a laptop with your game running on it, or climb up a twenty-story building and in through the window of a large corporate conference room and then hand someon from Nintendo a laptop with your game running on it--as in, they're unprepared for it--then they'd probably just ignore you or say they couldn't talk to you. If they had other business with you but you hadn't informed them about the nature of your proposal then they'd probably get uncomfortable if you brought it up arbitrarily, and they'd probably ask that you schedule another meeting or take it up with someone else, somewhere else. I suspect.

Years
  • I'd hate to crush your dream but yeah it's true.. Nintendo really is a heartless corporation and all that matters to them is whether they can make money from it..
    I had ambitions like that once but then I realised that they own the copyrights etc. etc. to pokemon and if you did (by chance) present a game to them with way super kool features in it and they think it would sell, they would simply copy your work and ideas..
    We aren't taken seriously in the business world..

Pidgeot500

Homeless
    Years
  • Krazy_Meerkat said:
    and if you did (by chance) present a game to them with way super kool features in it and they think it would sell, they would simply copy your work and ideas..
    Not if you work it right, you have to keep them interested in what you have to offer them. Show them that what you have there is just the beginning.
    We aren't taken seriously in the business world..
    True, fans are only taken seriously as large numbers (percentages, usually :dead:), but people can make themselves be taken seriously, they just to be businesslike. For instance, I know someone who's very professional, a film major in college, and is pushing to make another Resident Evil movie, and he is very familiar with how to approach the corporations involved, and with the processes involved in selling the movie to the corporations. It's still highly, highly unlikely anything will happen IMHO but he believes there's a fair chance if he does it right he can make it work, and I trust his judgement. Fans could sell their game to Nintendo hypothetically but first they'd have to make a proposition i.e. they would not want to make the game first and then show the corporations. Obviously it would have to be done correctly, you'd need lawyers and charts and organization and above all a vision and methodology that shows Nintendo that they need to do it your way. Which is why it'd be especially difficult. And especially improbable. But theoretically, not impossible. ;)

But yeah, I'd choose to realize an untainted vision of a Pokemon game with friends in my spare time (and having it not be technically 100% legal) over bringing it to Nintendo, any day. :D

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    phoenix316 said:
    Well, the chances of Nintendo filing a lawsuit against us are slim to none so I, personally, don't think there's a problem. Of course if you try to sell your Pokemon fangame...that's a different matter.
    I agree there not going to fill it out because 1 reason they have no Idea who we are or even the fact of what country were in I said the same thing to atari well I actually had permission since my cousin works there.

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Sorry to double post my dbz game that im working on is going to be sold through atari with my teams name on it yea I wish it would If I had 50,000 dollars.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Yeah that's very nice.. Don't post off-topic in old threads again please
    Nice to see you post. You've been lingering for ages. Sorry for going off-topic.

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Well, there are a couple of sites that have resources that haven't been ripped. Check the old resources thread. The link is in the sticky. BTW, you shouldn't request sites in this thread.

Years
    • Age 31
    • blah
    • Seen Jan 4, 2010
    i doubt that if we did used ripped graphics nintendo would even bother runing us all up. of course as long as we didnt claim the sprites as out own. but i seripously doubt they would sew us all! how would they? they dont no anything about us?

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • We came to that conclusion about 4 months ago XD Just don't try to sell a game with Nintendo's ripped graphics or you will be screwed ;)

Years
  • Mooshykris said:
    I'm wondering: What would Nintendo do if you showed them you fangame? I'm asking this because I have a dream of making a fangame and submitting it to Nintendo to see if they would make it officail. (don't flame me, it's my dream)
    That would be cool, although it would have to be a hell of a game to get Nintendo's seal of approval!

BlackCharizard

Black Charizard
    Years
  • If u put a disclaimer, ur safe. Trust me. Nintendo has much more important things to do than spend more money filind a lawsuit againswt u. Especially because they know that many might download a free game, like it and decide to buy a real nintendo licenced pokemon game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back