• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo's Official View On Fangames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2012
    well has anyone yet posted a fan game to nentendo? i would but if they say no then......... i m dead

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    BlackCharizard: You ought to tell that to Serebii. I suggested they put a Game Development Thread up there and he turned me down... told me he was afraid his site would get shut down...

Hacker: Send it under a different name. If there's no copyright on it, (Pokemon Fangames wouldn't have one.) then even if it is turned down, you can still post it on the Net. Just, don't give Nintendo any of your ideas... (Like if the evil Zarnon is resurrected in it and threatening to destroy the world.)

My rant: That Nintendo thing... A Heartless corporation that only cares about making money... Even though they probably WOULD make money off of fangames, since there's an entire cult that would play them...

Sony even has fangames on the PS2 (Alien Hominid for one). And guess what? It sells, and Sony makes a profit from it!

Maybe Nintendo should get the hint and do the same thing... Ok, that's my rant.

Nintendo doesn't really care one way or the other, because we aren't making money off of it, and it isn't hurting Nintendo's sales any more than Sony and Microsoft are.

I used HHH's name in one of my older games, and Vince McMahon has yet to sue me. And this is the guy that monetarily destroyed WCW and ECW! If HE doesn't care about that, then Nintendo definitely doesn't!

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2005
    Yes but...

SBaby said:
    Sony even has fangames on the PS2 (Alien Hominid for one). And guess what? It sells, and Sony makes a profit from it!

But doesnt Sony OWN the Playstation 2? Or by fangame do you mean that someone suggests the idea, Sony uses it, sells it and sends xx% of the profits to some person

Years
  • Hitshka the Groudonmaster said:
    But doesnt Sony OWN the Playstation 2? Or by fangame do you mean that someone suggests the idea, Sony uses it, sells it and sends xx% of the profits to some person

Sorry, that was me who posted that, my lousy brother didnt sign out lol
    so yeah, I stand by my post

Years
  • SBaby said:
    BlackCharizard: You ought to tell that to Serebii. I suggested they put a Game Development Thread up there and he turned me down... told me he was afraid his site would get shut down...

Hacker: Send it under a different name. If there's no copyright on it, (Pokemon Fangames wouldn't have one.) then even if it is turned down, you can still post it on the Net. Just, don't give Nintendo any of your ideas... (Like if the evil Zarnon is resurrected in it and threatening to destroy the world.)

My rant: That Nintendo thing... A Heartless corporation that only cares about making money... Even though they probably WOULD make money off of fangames, since there's an entire cult that would play them...

Maybe Nintendo should get the hint and do the same thing... Ok, that's my rant.

Nintendo doesn't really care one way or the other, because we aren't making money off of it, and it isn't hurting Nintendo's sales any more than Sony and Microsoft are.

I used HHH's name in one of my older games, and Vince McMahon has yet to sue me. And this is the guy that monetarily destroyed WCW and ECW! If HE doesn't care about that, then Nintendo definitely doesn't!
    Yes true, but Alien Hominid was a flash game turned into a ps2 game. I'm sure they had all the copyrights to it because the graphics were completely their own. It was converted to ps2 because otherwise macromedia would want a cut.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Alien Homonid is an independent game, that's not the same as a fangame. I'm quite sure they sold it to a real publisher. It's not incredibly different from any other game.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Sony still made a profit off of it. My point is that Nintendo could do the same thing with fan games if they wanted to. That's especially true if they have a limited release of it. Its value might skyrocket.

DarkMage31

RM2K(3) Master
    Years
  • Alien Hominid is NOT a fangame. It is an original game utilizing original graphics and coding and such. The creators own all copyrights to the product. Macromedia merely developed the platform it runs on. It's like the Unreal engine. Game makers liscense the Unreal Engine (3.0 for the next gen) and have the right to use it. Unreal gets the money from the liscense, not the game sales of the game that runs on it. Similarly, Macromedia does not own rights to Alien Hominid - rather, the platform it originally ran on. That's like saying Maya (3D modeling software) owns rights to Shrek.

And yes, fan games are copyrighted that don't use ripped graphics. Any original work by an author that is "fixed in a tangible medium of expression" is instantly copyrighted. You just can't make a lawsuit out of it unless you register with the copyright office.

If it is a parody or criticism, it falls under the category of "fair use." Fair use exists so existing copyrighted material can be used in comment, criticism, parody, etc. It would be hard to review a book without quoting it, right?

And disclaimers are not legally effective either. I quote from Stanford Copyright & Fair Use:
    "A disclaimer is a statement that "disassociates" your work from the work that you have borrowed. For example, if you write an unauthorized biography of Mickey Mouse, you may include a disclaimer such as "This book is not associated with or endorsed by the Walt Disney Company. " Will it help your position if you use a disclaimer? In close cases where the court is having a difficult time making a fair use determination, a prominently placed disclaimer may have a positive effect on the way the court perceives your use. However, a disclaimer by itself generally will not help. That is, if the fair use factors weigh against you, the disclaimer won't make any difference. For example, in a case involving a "Seinfeld" trivia book (see Section C), the publisher included a disclaimer that the book "has not been approved or licensed by any entity involved in creating or producing Seinfeld. " Despite the disclaimer, the court held that the use of the "Seinfeld" materials was an infringement, not a fair use."

If your game does not fit the definition of Fair Use, there is one more thing to consider: Derivitive Work.

A ?derivative work? is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications, which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a ?derivative work?.

On another note, I'm not sure if the hardware companies get money from third party releases, such as Alien Hominid. It seems unlikely publishers have to pay Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony to put games on their systems. If the game was developed and published by one of the above mentioned companies, they would definately get the profit. IDK about third party though.

OK, there goes my whole day. My rant is over.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    OMG...Nintendo's official view on fan games if they found out what RM2k3 was would be horrible...they'd be like: DONT USE THAT CRAP!

Booda Sack

Sphere Master
    Years
  • They also don't give a crap about fan games because how many are actually completed and are as full(as in are as good) as the official games?
    Well I haven't seen any yet.

mko

Custom User Title
    Years
  • hmm I admin I didn't read whole topic but my point is: "... trademarks or registered trademarks of Nintendo of America" but outside US?
    For example a mail sent to Sweden site thepiratebay.org by Microsoft

This letter serves as notification under the Digital Millennium Copyright
    Act, 17 U.S.C. ? 512, or equivalent notice provisions of your local law,
    that content currently residing within your computer system infringes on the
    copyrights of Microsoft Corporation. Moreover, the source code contains
    proprietary trade secret information belonging to Microsoft. I am
    authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft in this matter.

Their response to Dreamworks

As you may or may not be aware, Sweden is not a state in the United States
    of America. Sweden is a country in northern Europe.
    Unless you figured it out by now, US law does not apply here.
    For your information, no Swedish law is being violated.

May be we should program our games outside th USA (I'm already not)

Years
  • I'm in australia, I'm sure US law has some bearing here.. I think the Digital millenium copyright act must have been changed by now anyway..

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • And I really don't think the American folk are gonna leave the country just so that they can make a fangame...XD
    And I still stand by my point (backed up by Booda) that Nintendo wont do anything anyway because they have no reason to. And another thing to think about is that Nintendo are now working on Diamond/Pearl, so all of our games are now outdated anyway. All we're doing is extending FR/LG's life by keeping it fresh in people's minds with our own games.

sketch

3D animator/movie director
    Years
    • Age 31
    • LA
    • Seen Apr 14, 2014
    I live in the US and I'm sure our games our outdated too with all the new features Ninrendo is now making like the DS!We can't compete to make a game as good as that so it doesn't really matter.

Atomic

Isnt this awsome
    Years
    • Age 32
    • WI
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    strikes me as funny that he said audiovisual now if im right
    audio falls under music sounds ect
    and visual meaning sprites graphics and animations and any form of viewable content
    now if you use music from rs or any other pokemon games thats audio and that counts as copying doesnt it....

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Don't post on threads that haven't been posted on for 4 months...

Atomic

Isnt this awsome
    Years
    • Age 32
    • WI
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    It was linked to in a sticky topic so if anyone clicked it and replyed you would be advising them as well besides it isnt just graphics that cant be riped

Krusty

6 string shredder and art dude
    Years
  • So that means Anime based games, games based on Ash's quest are copyright infringing too, right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back