• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo's Official View On Fangames

Status
Not open for further replies.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
  • Based on Ash's quest maybe but based on pokemon, as far as you make your own music, tileset, logo, sprites, etc and say in the game that it has nothing to do with the Nintendo games then it should be fine XD

Flameguru

Pokemon: Metallic Silver
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    this is old, but its funny to see howmany people are using illeagal graffix, even me...lol........:P

Onyxrhapsody87

El encantador de la anima
    Years
  • I didn't read the whole thread but the way I see it... people who use in game graphics got them from a rom or someone else who has a rom... It is actually pretty easy to play gba games like this for free... That's why I think nintendo is being so funny about using ripped graphics... Other than that I don't see any reason as to why Nintendo would be against using their graphics as long as no one is getting paid...
    Still... because so many people are doing this... The fan game wave would only help them in future sales... so I personally don't think they would really go out of their way just to sue a bunch fanatics...

§ilv£r

Team Rocket Member
    Years
  • I'm glad to see that Nintendo allows us to do such a thing.
    Even though I'm not so sure that they are too happy with us making them, but I think they can't really stop us (because there's no reason they can except their moods).

So, once again, I'm glad.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • (No need to respond to a dormant topic...)

I think extinct is a better fit. Dormant implies that it could actually be revived with little or no consequences. (Unless, of course, it's a volcano. The ramifications of that are huge) Still, that is a good point. I do think this should be stickied though. It's a really good piece of info.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2008
    Indeed, I may not sell the play, however, I may still require for the cover and the printed instructions and forwarding expenses money?

Sry for my bad english iam german

Atomic

Isnt this awsome
    Years
    • Age 32
    • WI
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    Indeed, I may not sell the play, however, I may still require for the cover and the printed instructions and forwarding expenses money?

Sry for my bad english iam german
    so wait
    If I cant sell the game
    may I still require payment for the packaging and shipping
    <me reformating what you said to make more sense>
    probably not
    considering if its going to say pokemon on it or any of its trademarked concepts words and images
    nintendo wont be happy
    Of course most fangames are distributed online so packaging is not an issue
    of course on the note of ripped graphics
    I think the best method would be a mass distributed fan style
    where it looks decent but has no connections to any of the games (ie not ripped graphics)

NytewolfAU2k7

Game Modder & Creator
    Years
  • Also note that times change, the last time someone emailed about this topic was 2004, Nintendo could of changed their viewpoint for the worse... You never know...

But yeah, use no Trademarked or Copyrighted content and you should be fine, which is why I'm developing custom graphics for the game in my sig...

I don't usually post in necro-topics, but... meh....

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
  • I think that this should'd be stickied because its old and I think that you guys shouldn't try and make loopholes because if they wanted to, nintendo could sue any one of us because of the amout of money that they have. Also I think that this shouldn't be locked and make an exection for it for more understanding of what we can and can't do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back