• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
  • I have to say Japan Club (well, actually it's called Nihon Club but...) since anime and manga isn't really the main focus in the club. We got language lessons, go, Japanese culture lessons, so I really can't call it Anime Club in any way. P:

At least the senpai-kouhai relationship is rather obsolete and we still hang out a lot with our senpai and kouhai.

It still took a lot of work in order to make things organized in the club, which is really hard since my high school didn't have a special room for the Nihon Club (in fact, almost none of the extra curricular clubs have any). Our members are pretty organized in my opinion, although schedules always get wonky since sometimes we want to do something but things just don't go our way what with curfews and lack of facilities at high school.

Like really, we only have 1 hour of activities, tops. It can go higher but with students finished with school at average around 3.30 PM and the school forces everyone to leave at around 4.30 PM, I'm pretty surprised if anything goes right and steady in any club.

Now this is becoming a personal rant about my high school. I'll stop now.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • To be honest your Japan club actually sounds really fun. Our club just felt like a group of people watching the same anime without much of the socializing and getting to know each other part.
    If I wanted to just sit down and watch anime I'd rather do it at home, or even in a stream with other people in stream or sit down with friends or something.
    I generally like the idea of it being a "Japan club" rather than an Anime club and the whole culture and language lessons sound fun.

Our clubs at any of my schools never had their own special room either. We just claimed/booked which everyone was free and that could accommodate the amount of people in the club.

The anime club itself was always starting around 5:30-6 since that's when majority of the classes were over.
    I had classes which finished at 6:30 at sometimes and that would mean me having to turn up late and having to take buses from my campus over to the main one which was always a lot of effort.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I'm making my way through the first season of ALDNOAH.ZERO, and I still don't know what to think. I like it a lot, but then it's kind of boring?? Ugh, maybe I'll drop it. Then maybe I'll keep watching because Slaine's story is the only interesting part.

Skip Class

Years
  • I myself have been debating to watch ALDNOAH.ZERO or not. Heard so many things from people - mostly good and that it's the "BEST ANIME OF 2014", but that just feels like too much hype to me. I personally don't watch Mecha, but it does look interesting.

Candy

Years
  • I've been putting Aldnoah.Zero on my plan-to-watch list for quite some time now, but after the first episode I'm kinda debating with myself upon continuing or not. Seems to have promise, but at the same time there's quite the amount of negativity in regards to the story. :/

Sir Codin

Okay, first impression of the shows my club watches on Thursdays:

Log Horizon - season 2
    Kickass, love it already.

Is The Order A Rabbit?
    Moe girls doing moe things. Meh. Although I thought the part where a girl drew a picture of a battle tank in a cup of coffee using creamer was fucking awesome.

Witchcraft Works
    Boy meets girl. Girl is a witch. Guy is getting attacked by furries commanding robot bunnies for...whatever reason. Can't really say how I feel about this one. At least the witch is hot (and I mean that in more ways than one)

Skip Class

Years
  • Knowing me, Aldnoah.Zero just seems like the type if anime I'll chuck on my "To-Watch" list but never actually watch. Might as well save myself the time and not watch it unless I really changed my mind about it.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • If I was running the club I'd suggest 1 airing, 1 classic and then another series which is totally different from the other 2. Those selections are so samey. I like Log Horizon and WCW was fine but if I was choosing to attend based on this I probably wouldn't bother. Of course there is the social aspect which I obviously can't judge, good people would obviously outweigh indifferent anime choices.

I hope your club also has the odd marathon meetup where you do an entire series.

Sir Codin

Actually we do occasional entire series runs.

Also, as for your lineup, we actually have done that in the past, problem is, putting classics in the lineup tended to actually turn away many potential members, including Japanese exchange students, because many classics are stuff that lots of people have already seen before. So we decided that for future lineups, the anime series we choose can't be more than 3 years old.

That said, we do show first episodes of a lot of series every now again of anime both new and old and this semester we'll actually be doing something called "Anime Through The Decades" episodes where for a certain number of weeks, we show an episode of an anime from a particular decade. In this case, 70's, 80's, 90's, and early 2000's. In fact, we'll be doing full series runs of decades 70's through 90's

70's: Cutie Honey
    80's: Macross
    90's: Tenchi Muyo!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • There are loads of things considered 'classic' which are not particularly popular in the west. Of course I could see how airing a lineup like Bebop, FMA and Azumanga Daioh might put people off, even if they are all good shows. I'd still take generic over a bunch of currently/recently aired cute girl shows though.

However much I look at it Usagi and WCW seems like especially odd chouices for a group watch. I guess you were avoiding a lot of the popular things of the last few years because everybody had already seen them?

Through the ages is a nice theme, I sometimes do things like that to select my next few shows.

Sir Codin

Well, I only stated what we're watching Thursdays, here's what we're watching on Wednesdays:

Akame ga Kill!
    Amagi Brilliant Park
    Barakamon

Also, here's a list of everything we've watched for regular meetings for the past several years:
    http://csumb-anime.com/?q=pastshows

Sir Codin

- D-Frag!
    - Kamisama
    - Log Horizon
    - Watamote
    - Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
    - Attack On Titan
    - Busou Shinki
    - Tomodachi
    - Ao no Exorcist
    - Seitokai no Ichizon

Also, back when we did classics, I really enjoyed Slayers. Of course, I knew I would, since I was the one who brought it to the table.

Also, we had summer "meetings" as well (they're no official, so they don't go on the website). Here are some shows I remember we've been watching:

- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    - No Game No Life
    - Space Battleship Yamato
    - Seikon No Qwaser

Those are the ones I've enjoyed, although Qwaser I only enjoyed watching because I got a kick out of making fun of it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Reading these posts, I'm pretty glad our country does not force clubs =D

I myself have been debating to watch ALDNOAH.ZERO or not. Heard so many things from people - mostly good and that it's the "BEST ANIME OF 2014", but that just feels like too much hype to me. I personally don't watch Mecha, but it does look interesting.
    It isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's about SCIENCE being SCIENCE and beating everything that isn't SCIENCE.

Sir Codin

Uh, last I checked, nobody in my club was forcing people to attend.

Candy

Years
  • Well over here they say it's mandatory but really, it's not. I know a lot of students who never joined any club during their 3 years of high school. P:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back