• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • If you were showing anime to somebody for a first time I thought you'd probably avoid that sort of thing. Those that use charts have probably not got the largest powerlevels, I'd have been put off if the first anime series I saw was something like that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I wouldn't really compare the two in terms of ecchi. I mean, you can watch Kill la Kill for the ecchi, but ultimately it's not going to appeal to someone that's watching it solely for that as much as something like Highschool DxD or, more relevant, NGNL, mainly because it's not trying to.

Years
  • Kill la Kill was aware of its fanservice levels and deliberately went there without crossing the sexual harassment threshold in most cases (there's one big spoilerific exception to this), and generally making the female characters strong and independent (even if many of the outfits were completely ridiculous by the end, it distributed them fairly equally among male and female characters). It also does a good job of distracting from the fanservice with excessive over-the-top action.

NGNL did not feel like it was aware of its fanservice levels, and when it felt like it was, sexual harassment of female characters by the lead male almost always ensued. The female characters in it were generally poorly written because fanservice was such an overused crutch used in place of character development, and it was always the lead male pulling off a miracle. Fan service basically felt like the main point of NGNL at times.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Ehh. I just tend to look at all anime nudity the same, aha x_x... A butt's a butt and a boob's a boob. I don't really consider the politics of said butt or boob.

But

Kill la Kill was aware of its fanservice levels and deliberately went there without crossing the sexual harassment threshold in most cases

NGNL did not feel like it was aware of its fanservice levels, and when it felt like it was, sexual harassment of female characters by the lead male almost always ensued.

This right here pretty much sums up why I didn't like NGNL -w-

Years
  • Lewd is lewd, though there's a difference between sexual harassment of the viewer and sexual harassment of the viewer and the characters. For the former, the viewer can just turn off the show. For the latter, the viewer can turn off the show, but for those who don't, it can implant in their minds that such behavior is okay outside of the show, even though it's really not (it's relatively rare, but it can cause such a mindset).

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • The thing about KLK's fanservice that set's it apart from normal ones you see in other shows is that it's so outlandish yet paid little attention to (It doesn't try to highlight it with close ups or w/e) that when it comes to Ragyo's bath scene with Satsuki it doesn't come across as fanservice to me and more like illustrates how distasteful the relationship between them is.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • lol, that entire last post.

15GKSZt.jpg

Look at Kill la Kill this way. Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Sir Codin

I didn't even pay attention to Kill La Kill's fanservice and I normally don't mind fanservice.

What drew me into the anime was how over-the-top fuckawesome all the action and other shenanigans were.

Sir Codin

You know, Weeaboo Name, normally you'd be pissing me off right now, but since I'm suffering through the Rubikon Dungeon of Planescape: Torment right now, your comments are like gnats compared to the torment this fucking place is putting me through.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Laptrap's just being laptrap. Nothing new here, move along.

I was just at the bookstore after neglecting to go there since September last year. The amount of manga volumes I missed racked up to 43 volumes. That costs me nearly a IDR. Good lord, I can buy 2 copies of 3DS games with that kind of money. And that's saying something.

I don't have the money to get them now, so I think I'll try to come by weekly to catch up on all of them. Man, that's a lot of volumes. And let's not get started on new titles.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back