• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga NP: The Theory of Slice of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • I don't think I've said anything too unreasonable recently.

The animation was terrible for the most part and the nudity was fanservice, nothing deeper than that. Show wasn't terrible by any means but those two things are fact. I can understand people wanting to think that shows they like are something more though.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Just a question, what series have you personally considered "deep"? Because in all actuality, Kill la Kill DID have a lot under the surface. Maybe not a million valuable morals, but everything I've seen here from the others have been fair observations.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • So basically, themes like that count towards an anime having a deeper meaning. But themes such as negativity towards sexuality, and social/living(just to name two examples) classes don't?

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Okay, you've changed my mind, Kill la Kill is as deep as No Game No Life.

Although I will say I can't remember any negativity towards sexuality in the show. Are you a tumblr user that sees that in everything?

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Absolutely not, but alright. It's all about looking under the surface. Remember when Dter ic mentioned the less than desirable relationship between Satsuki and Ragyo? It can be found there.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • I'm obviously not seeing things as clearly as you guys. The relationship between Satsuku and Ragyo was certainly negative but there wasn't really much to it, one girl is trying to stop her psycho bitch mother from going through with her doctor evil style plan. The bath scene was just her showing her dominance and reiterating the fact that she is a crazy bitch.

I wasn't trying to offend you. If I did please don't blog about it.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Yes, people can take what they want from a series, even if it isn't there. Like they did with the religious symbolism in NGE, even after the director admitted he put the in because they looked cool. You could take the revealing outfits as a metaphor for her becoming an adult but even that theory is quite the stretch. Trigger stuck the fanservice up to to 11 so that people would think there is more to it than there really is. Off the top of my head I think only the nudity at the end had any deeper meaning.

Literal Chinese cartoons, eh. Doesn't look interesting but I guess that doesn't matter because muh kana.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • trigger stuck the fanservice up to to 11 so that people would think there is more to it than there really is.

That's a bit over the top. I'll agree with the idea that the fanservice they used is there for absolutely no reason, that's one way to look at it. But not just to make people think a deeper meaning is there when it actually isn't.

Last edited:

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • People really did read into it a lot, and lots of others share the opinion of dondon on the previous page. It isn't disgusting otakubait so I'm allowed to enjoy it.

Selling blurays, giving people people talking points and creating hype were other reasons. They did a great job of pandering to the more casual anime watcher, I'll give them that.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • In post #2132 I said that they made the fanservice so out there that it would make people try and read into it. A big part of the show's ability to get people talking was that, so I don't really see how the posts aren't linked.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I meant the post that I quoted before about Trigger adding fanservice to mislead people into discussing something that doesn't actually exist. If we're going to have such a long discussion, at least try to reply to me instead of jumping around to reiterate what you said 6 posts before x_x;

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • Huh, you've lost me.

The part you quoted was my opinion on the fanservice in Kill la Kill, and my my next post was a natural follow up.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Friendly neighborhood reminder for everyone to behave themselves in this thread. Getting reports for different things in this thread nearly everyday, so everyone please remain respectful of each other. Thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back