• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
  • Added a couple of new screenshots, one of them showcases the new Radical Red exclusive signature abilities of the Simis! Also added a GIF to the videos section that showcases a pretty substantial buff to Slaking: you can now use healing moves on turns you're supposed to be loafing around in Truant (excuse the horrible cropping...)

First release should be soon, hang tight :)

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Added a couple of new screenshots, one of them showcases the new Radical Red exclusive signature abilities of the Simis! Also added a GIF to the videos section that showcases a pretty substantial buff to Slaking: you can now use healing moves on turns you're supposed to be loafing around in Truant (excuse the horrible cropping...)

First release should be soon, hang tight :)

Love the fact that you are generating new abilities and adding buffs to Pokemon that really deserve some love. Although I do have a doubt, I'm assuming that Simisage's new ability doubles SP attack use at the price of using only one move, don't you think this would be broken if it was made to hold a choice specs coupled with its impressive speed stat?

Years
  • Love the fact that you are generating new abilities and adding buffs to Pokemon that really deserve some love. Although I do have a doubt, I'm assuming that Simisage's new ability doubles SP attack use at the price of using only one move, don't you think this would be broken if it was made to hold a choice specs coupled with its impressive speed stat?

Sage Power basically mirrors Gorilla Tactics from Sword and Shield (Galar-Darmanitan's signature ability) but for Special Attack; it's not a 2* boost it's 1.5x. Although he'll definitely be powerful if you stack it with a Choice Specs/Choice Scarf he certainly won't be broken considering their limited movepool and subpar stat distribution. At least, that's my take on it. The buffs are something that I've put a lot of thought in, so I may create a monstrosity in the process, but I'm trying my best to evaluate them to make sure nothing is too crazy :) And I should clarify that it's the Simis hidden ability; the hidden ability switcher isn't available until after the 4th Gym, and he does need a special item for his service.

EDIT: New abilities, both ideas taken from Clover:
    pmIr3GD.png

I always thought some of their abilities would be cool if they were on actual Pokemon, so here's one! Striker gives a 1.3x boost to kicking moves and are the new Hidden Abilities of Hitmonlee and Tsareena.

blademaster.png

Blademaster gives a 1.2x boost to sword/cutting moves on top of a +1 crit hit ratio. It's an insane buff to Mega Gallade, so his attack has been reduced from 165->155. Blademaster will also be on Farfetch'd and Duoblade.

Also, new addition to Castform's signature ability Forecast: If you give it its corresponding weather rock (i.e Icy Rock, Damp Rock, Smooth Rock, Heat Rock) it will activate that weather along with changing to its corresponding form. Will post a video tomorrow showcasing this. On top of that, all its base stats have been buffed from 70 to 90.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Also, new addition to Castform's signature ability Forecast: If you give it its corresponding weather rock (i.e Icy Rock, Damp Rock, Smooth Rock, Heat Rock) it will activate that weather along with changing to its corresponding form. Will post a video tomorrow showcasing this. On top of that, all its base stats have been buffed from 70 to 90.

That and the Slaking buff is insane, I'm even more excited to play this.

Years
  • That and the Slaking buff is insane, I'm even more excited to play this.

Yeah, buffing Slaking is a bit tricky since he already has an insane movepool/BST, he's just completely held back by his trash ability(and I obviously can't take that away). I suspect even this change could be a little too significant but I'm having some testers try him out and see how strong he is. In competitive I think he wouldn't too too powerful but ingame he might be a complete beast. And if those buffs interest you, Arcehops' Defeatist has also been changed from activating at half health to activating at 1/3 health.

Happy to hear you're excited :)

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Yeah, buffing Slaking is a bit tricky since he already has an insane movepool/BST, he's just completely held back by his trash ability(and I obviously can't take that away). I suspect even this change could be a little too significant but I'm having some testers try him out and see how strong he is. In competitive I think he wouldn't too too powerful but ingame he might be a complete beast. And if those buffs interest you, Arcehops' Defeatist has also been changed from activating at half health to activating at 1/3 health.

Happy to hear you're excited :)

Oh ny gosh, i absolutely LOVE Arcehops, it's my favorite fossil mon and i always felt that it was mistreated with defeatist because it was genuinely very frail and suseptible to priority. Also, i know you haven't planned any post-game but would by chance consider adding in a battle facility like the Frontier?

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Where is my boi Goomy? I read the pokemon location list but my boi is not there. :(

But nevertheless this hack is hella amazing

Years
  • Where is my boi Goomy? I read the pokemon location list but my boi is not there. :(

But nevertheless this hack is hella amazing

All pseodo legends can be bought in the revamped Game Corner, including Goomy.

Oh ny gosh, i absolutely LOVE Arcehops, it's my favorite fossil mon and i always felt that it was mistreated with defeatist because it was genuinely very frail and suseptible to priority. Also, i know you haven't planned any post-game but would by chance consider adding in a battle facility like the Frontier?

I don't have any plans for battle facility, tbh it's not something I'm particularly interested in... sorry :p

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Hmm. This hack is looking extremely promising. Looking forward to when it's released! Keep up the good work, mate. You're doing an awesome job keeping us all hyped up for it~

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Revamped game corner? At Celadon City right? How I wish they can found in the wild since it takes forever to evolve them.
    But ok

But plz can you put them in wild? 🙊🙊🙊

Generris

LOMEGALU
    Years
  • Similar to Pokemon Clover, there is a soft level cap based on the next boss battle. Many "challenge" hacks can easily be beaten by simply spamming turbo boost and overlevelling. This prevents you from doing so, instead allowing you to reevaluate your team and strategy to defeat bosses.

Hm, not sure I like that change. Overlevelling is a real thing people like to do. I believe they made a joke about it in an anime. Yuru Yuri, I think. One character liked to stay underlevelled and have a challenge, whereas the other character liked to overlevel and steamroll enemies. Forcing someone to play the way you want because you don't like a certain playstyle is a big no-no. I'll still give the game a shot though, maybe it's not that intrusive.

Years
    • Seen today
    Having a level cap is an extremely good idea. Beating the game because of how much time you spent grinding is lame.

Years
  • Hm, not sure I like that change. Overlevelling is a real thing people like to do. I believe they made a joke about it in an anime. Yuru Yuri, I think. One character liked to stay underlevelled and have a challenge, whereas the other character liked to overlevel and steamroll enemies. Forcing someone to play the way you want because you don't like a certain playstyle is a big no-no. I'll still give the game a shot though, maybe it's not that intrusive.

So this "concern" is something that's been flying around on my discord server so I'm just going to address this so I don't have to listen to this awful argument every day, with the justifications being even worse than the last. It's one of my many favorite features of Clover and it's rather puzzling to me that so many people don't view this as a good thing.

I've tried to stress this in the main thread but... This is supposed to be a difficulty hack. If the monotonous grind of overlevelling is something you enjoy doing for whatever bizarre reason then you really ought to play something else.
    With that being said, there are plenty of options to "steamroll" opponents in this hack. You have access to an insane selection of Pokemon, many of which have been buffed tremendously. Furthermore, there's access to IV perfectors, EV training gear, more move tutors and TMs, which are other ways to effectively boost your cast that are also far more productive than the strenuous grind of overlevelling. I'd even add that using these resources to demolish your opponents is simply far more rewarding.
    Forcing someone to play the way you want because you don't like a certain playstyle is a big no-no.
    It's almost as if creators have the right to expect people to experience their game in a way they intend to. Shocking, I know.

It's called Radical Red for a reason y'all

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    So this "concern" is something that's been flying around on my discord server so I'm just going to address this so I don't have to listen to this awful argument every day, with the justifications being even worse than the last. It's one of my many favorite features of Clover and it's rather puzzling to me that so many people don't view this as a good thing.

I've tried to stress this in the main thread but... This is supposed to be a difficulty hack. If the monotonous grind of overlevelling is something you enjoy doing for whatever bizarre reason then you really ought to play something else.

I agree.

That's one of the main selling points of Clover. I'll go on the record and say it's my number 1 hack, because of all the changes to the game mechanics that makes the overall playthrough a blast, making it easy to ignore the 4chan content and general depiction of the internet within a ROMhack, which I like anyway, but many people are repelled by it. That's what makes me interested in the hack, the inspiration drawn from certain Clover features combined with the cutting edge CFRU engine.

Also, EVs tend to do more than levels do, especially if the AI doesn't have EVs. In Emerald Final, I EV trained my Pokemon that didn't touch level 60, and they wound up destroying Steven, who is in the late-70s. EV training offsets overleveling, but most hacks don't make EV training streamlined like in modern main series games. Just having the Power items in a hack is great, so I'm looking forward to that aspect in this hack.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I agree.

That's one of the main selling points of Clover. I'll go on the record and say it's my number 1 hack, because of all the changes to the game mechanics that makes the overall playthrough a blast, making it easy to ignore the 4chan content and general depiction of the internet within a ROMhack, which I like anyway, but many people are repelled by it. That's what makes me interested in the hack, the inspiration drawn from certain Clover features combined with the cutting edge CFRU engine.

Also, EVs tend to do more than levels do, especially if the AI doesn't have EVs. In Emerald Final, I EV trained my Pokemon that didn't touch level 60, and they wound up destroying Steven, who is in the late-70s. EV training offsets overleveling, but most hacks don't make EV training streamlined like in modern main series games. Just having the Power items in a hack is great, so I'm looking forward to that aspect in this hack.

Ya know what? I don't know ev/iv stuff like this guy, but they make a ton of sense. Levels are not everything. Being soft capped just means you need to work on your strategy more then just sheer strength.

Years
  • I agree.

Haha, we appear to be on the same wavelength it seems! I hope my hack lives up to your expectations.

Anyway, some updates...

Here's an image of the upgraded Forecast:
    hail.png

Another new ability, since it's something I've been fiddling with as of late. Ice types are kind of garbage, and aside from Aurora Veil, the support for hail is seriously lackluster in comparison to the other weathers. I've made Mega Abomasnow a complete monster already, but here's more support for hail: a new ability called Icy Protector, the Hidden Abilities for both Glaceon and Lapras. If it's hailing on switch in, Icy Protector sets up an Aurora Veil that lasts for 3 turns(this cannot be boosted by Light Clay).

icyprotector.png

Along with this, Hail damage has been increased from 1/16 per turn to 1/12. EDIT: Icy Protector isn't working properly so this has been temporarily removed.

Also, a new move. I never liked that Sharpedo and Bruxish didn't have a good water stab to abuse Strong Jaw, and I wasn't really down to give them Fishious Rend, so I made this instead. Gyarados and Basculin can learn it as well, simple 90 BP Physical Water move boosted by Strong Jaw, with a 10% chance to flinch.
    aquafang.png

I'll likely be adding two new exclusive abilities before the first release. On top of that, things I still need to do are polishing Wild Pokemon locations, adding ways to obtain a lot of the new items, as well as locations for nonKantonian fossils.

Last edited:

Generris

LOMEGALU
    Years
  • So this "concern" is something that's been flying around on my discord server so I'm just going to address this so I don't have to listen to this awful argument every day, with the justifications being even worse than the last. It's one of my many favorite features of Clover and it's rather puzzling to me that so many people don't view this as a good thing.

With that being said, there are plenty of options to "steamroll" opponents in this hack. You have access to an insane selection of Pokemon, many of which have been buffed tremendously. Furthermore, there's access to IV perfectors, EV training gear, more move tutors and TMs, which are other ways to effectively boost your cast that are also far more productive than the strenuous grind of overlevelling. I'd even add that using these resources to demolish your opponents is simply far more rewarding.

It's almost as if creators have the right to expect people to experience their game in a way they intend to. Shocking, I know.

It's called Radical Red for a reason y'al

Just keep poisoning that well. There is absolutely no need to call it an awful argument, or say the justification is bad, because you don't agree with it. Instead, you only need to justify your reasoning behind this decision. You just keep taking shots at overlevelling, as if it isn't a valid play style. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others agree with you. And clearly, since this has been brought up in the Discord server, some people kinda like overlevelling.

It's absolutely fine to balance a game however you want and expect people to place a certain way, but you don't want to force people to play a certain way. People have some choice in the game with the Pokemon selection and the IV/EV stuff, but how about giving them more choice? How about letting them overlevel because it's their play style. Pokemon is meant to be an RPG, and RPG games usually give players choice in how they play. You're just removing a choice because you don't like it. Overlevelling is a completely valid playstyle, whether you like it or not. If someone wants a level cap, let them determine that for themselves, or maybe, if it's possible, put it in as an option. I've seen people put some interesting options into their fan games before, I imagine a level cap is possible. Also, Emerald Kaizo solved this issue pretty well. You can do whatever you want the entire game until the end, then everyone is lvl 100. Everyone's at the cap and on an even playing field.

But yeah, it's your game, you can obviously do what you want. Just don't talk shit when you remove a certain playstyle and people that like that playstyle have questions or say something about it. Don't act as if your way is superior.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2022
    How about letting them overlevel because it's their play style. Pokemon is meant to be an RPG, and RPG games usually give players choice in how they play.
    Most RPGs with leveling systems don't let you overlevel or discourage overleveling by reducing the amount of EXP you get when you are a higher level than the enemy you are killing. This is true in the official modern Pokemon games as well, but they don't discourage it as much as most other RPGs do

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2020
    Just keep poisoning that well. There is absolutely no need to call it an awful argument, or say the justification is bad, because you don't agree with it. Instead, you only need to justify your reasoning behind this decision. You just keep taking shots at overlevelling, as if it isn't a valid play style. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others agree with you. And clearly, since this has been brought up in the Discord server, some people kinda like overlevelling.

It's absolutely fine to balance a game however you want and expect people to place a certain way, but you don't want to force people to play a certain way. People have some choice in the game with the Pokemon selection and the IV/EV stuff, but how about giving them more choice? How about letting them overlevel because it's their play style. Pokemon is meant to be an RPG, and RPG games usually give players choice in how they play. You're just removing a choice because you don't like it. Overlevelling is a completely valid playstyle, whether you like it or not. If someone wants a level cap, let them determine that for themselves, or maybe, if it's possible, put it in as an option. I've seen people put some interesting options into their fan games before, I imagine a level cap is possible. Also, Emerald Kaizo solved this issue pretty well. You can do whatever you want the entire game until the end, then everyone is lvl 100. Everyone's at the cap and on an even playing field.

But yeah, it's your game, you can obviously do what you want. Just don't talk muk when you remove a certain playstyle and people that like that playstyle have questions or say something about it. Don't act as if your way is superior.

Well this game is supposed to be challenging , and having the level cap is just part of the challenge , and this is what the creator is aiming for , they dont need to justify their reasoning behind it , they just find that's the best and most fun way to play their rom hack and alot of people agree .If you don't like what the creator is aiming for , why are you even interested in this game?

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Also, Emerald Kaizo solved this issue pretty well. You can do whatever you want the entire game until the end, then everyone is lvl 100. Everyone's at the cap and on an even playing field.

Emerald Kaizo's not the example to use. Yes, eventually everyone is at the level cap. You can get by the hack without overleveling, like I did in my 2nd playthrough, for the most part. Or get through it by overleveling, like in my first playthrough, having my Ursaring destroy everybody until the Pokemon League. A key thing missing in this Emerald Kaizo example is that the hack forces you to play offensive. You complain about Radical Red forcing a playstyle, yet you use Emerald Kaizo as an example, a hack where you are forced to run an offensive team. Defensive and stall ones don't work because everyone has a Lum Berry, AI teams are crafted to withstood status condition attempts. You don't get Protect as a TM so Toxic-stalling is not feasible. However, the AI freely does that.

With that, I enjoy Emerald Kaizo, I think it's the best of SHF's Kaizo hacks. That's an example of a forced playstyle being a good thing. No healing items during battle, no EVs, those are all handicaps, options cut from the player. But yes, you get a lot of options on Pokemon to use...towards the end of the game. You can't get certain ones until the postgame, and even then, their catch rates are ridiculously low. Wailmer's catch rate is 3, for example, Wobbuffet's is 1.

If Emerald Kaizo can get a pass, then this hack has no problem enforcing whatever playstyle it wants. To me that's the beauty of Pokemon ROMhacks, and the best ones successfully stand out, whether it be from original story, new region, or specially crafted difficulty. The last mentioned is what this hack is gearing up to do.

Back