• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon should evolve during battles

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    No, it should be left the way it is for multiple reasons.
    1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been.
    2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem.
    3) I abhor the anime and believe that if it were not for the gay TV show that it is, the entire franchise would have been targeted at a broader and older audience and would have had better staying power and would not be considered taboo for all those middle schoolers out there who care too much about being cool.

Leave it the way it is, and ignore the anime. If anything, the anime should try to follow the games more, not the other way around.

Staying with tradition slows down the gaming industry, and it doesn't bring in the big bucks. There are many traditions Game Freak is breaking you know.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't see it happening, but it would be pretty cool to see.

Hey PC. Me again. Just quoting another one of Beachy's posts and telling y'all about how he raided my brain for posting material to get +1 postcount.

Anyway, agreement. I can see it now: "Chimchar used Ember! Wild Caterpie fainted! Chimchar leveled up to 14!"

"...huh?"

Years
    If so, there should be an energy burst that causes FLINCH or some thing where other no attacks are made. After the battle, then comes the nickname. And there should be a removal of the evolve animation. Takes up too much time. There should be a Yes or No "pop up" during battle for the option to allow evolution, similar to saving or learning a new move where it will ask "you" twice. Maybe switch the Yes to a No so one would be required to pay attention to what is going on and actually utilize the "basic reading skill required to fully enjoy this game feature".

Waki Tobaye

Now known as City Checkpoint.
    Years
    I'm sorry but if I use Ice beam on a buizel using aqua jet I don't expect it to be an attack. I also don't expect the other pokemon to start spinning around to shed off damage or to avoid attacks. Or use two moves in combination...I also don't expect for thunderbolt to cause a golem to faint.
    Aim for the horn!

Please keep the games with the games and the anime with the anime. We don't need them correlating with each other; possibly causing some unnecessary dissatisfaction with most gamers who aren't the biggest fans of the anime.
    I agree, if they were to implement this; then they probably were to bring the combination attacks to the games too; along with other stupid things that take place in the anime

Spoiler:

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    That would be great, then you could be like "wazzam now im gonna own u in style with an awesome fully evolved pokemon.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I know. I was describing it as if your pokemon gained a level each time it won against the opponent's pokemon. If the pokemon is much weaker than the opponent that got defeated, it sometimes gains a lot of experience in order for it to evolve and gain a few levels.

They could make it so that the chance to evolve only happens once during a battle, and simply having to wait until the next battle/challenge to have it evolve.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I never really understood why I had to wait till the battle was over to evolve a Pokémon anyway. I mean, it got its level up moves (if applicable), so why not evolve at the same time? I'd be fine if they added this in.

But I don't think I'd really care too much either. @_@ I'm used to the way they do it so it wouldn't be a huge deal if they left it that way.

TotoPacMan

*insert witty title*
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2024
    It would be cool, I've had many too many a times when one of my guys couldn't evolve because I lost (normally to a gym leader). But i could see it as an unfair advantage, say you're dragonair evolves midbattle. now they have no chance. but then again, who cares about npcs T_T

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    True. But I think it'd be a good idea to make computer players gain xp from beating your Pokemon - that way their Pokemon might level up as well, and make matches/rematches a bit trickier.

On-topic - Pokemon should definitely evolve in-battle. It's a no-brainer.

Stole the words straight from my head!!

No way, it would be to cheap. That gives you an unfair advantage. That like when your at level 20 going to the first patch of grass and there is a level 5 Pokemon. Unfair man. On top of that it would make things more complex.

How would it get more complex? And all it means is one Caterpie sooner has to deal with your next evolution.

No, it should be left the way it is for multiple reasons.
    1) It is tradition. Leave it the way it is, as that is the way it has always been. That's a terrible reason, traditions are only good when coupled with an open mind.
    2) It takes the strategic aspect of battling away, as well as the prize of evolution after you finish a fight. If you suck too much to win the fight and you have to try and level up again, that is your own problem. Because once you've earned the correct amount of exp to evolve and completed all the requirements one is supposed to wait for their Pokemon to evolve as proving that they can win the battle has so much to with a Pokemon's ability to evolve. >.<
    3) I abhor the anime and believe that if it were not for the gay TV show that it is, the entire franchise would have been targeted at a broader and older audience and would have had better staying power and would not be considered taboo for all those middle schoolers out there who care too much about being cool.

Leave it the way it is, and ignore the anime. If anything, the anime should try to follow the games more, not the other way around.

Aim for the horn!

I agree, if they were to implement this; then they probably were to bring the combination attacks to the games too; along with other stupid things that take place in the anime

Spoiler:

I don't understand this at all. "No because it'll make it like the anime." Huh? Maybe just maybe the anime got it right for once. I mean this simple little addition could be made without all of a sudden making the two canons identical. And why would GF add combination attacks from the anime as well as other, "stupid things," just because they implemented one feature that makes sense? How does letting Pokemon evolve during battle relate to adding combination attacks?

The anime is grossly inferiour to the games, but letting Pokemon evolve during battle isn't going to bring the two any closer together.

Also about the awkwardness of having the evolution sequence mid battle, I personally don't feel it'd be that bad, but they could just do away with it and have the animation sequence take place on the battle screen in front of your opponents Pokemon. Letting you still retain the power of pressing B and cancelling the evolution of course.

Dragonika

Isshu Region Champion
    Years
    Yes that would be awsome but we dont want it to be to much like the anime series it would spoil the game but yes evolving in battle would be pretty epic :D

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    For some reason I like it the way it is now... and in some episodes, like with the Parasect VS Charmeleon episode, Parasect didn't evolve until the battle was over. I just think it would be a little complicated anyway.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
    Some pokemon evolve by using elemental stones on them, or by being traded, Both these thing can't be done during a battle. I'm thinking here they want all the evolutions to take place out of the battles.

Though I really wouldn't wind it they added the function.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
    If they were to implement this, they should also put like a few trainers that are capable of experience the same with one of their Pokemon to make it seem as you are not the only one to make it rain.

rossbot

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2013
    Staying with tradition slows down the gaming industry, and it doesn't bring in the big bucks. There are many traditions Game Freak is breaking you know.

Sometimes. Granted, improving graphics and adding certain elements to a game are understandable. But certain things should be left alone. I cite Zelda II: the Adventure of Link.

I am firmly convinced that the only way the game has survived in the states thus far is because they have adhered to tradition, for the most part. I almost stopped playing the series entirely because of all the nonsense they were putting out (Ranger, Gale of whatever).

and open minds are easily taken advantage of.

Last edited:

15ares

My jimmies remain unrustled.
    Years
    it will bring in some realism (as far as pokemon could be realistic) to the game, and it could possibly turn battles around. i hope they bring in a feature like this

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I'm actually somewhat surprised at the overwhelming approval of this idea. I've never had a problem with my pokemon skipping their evolution level because of losing a battle (mainly because I save before any battles I know will give me difficulties. XD), so I never put any thought into it and consequently never knew there would be such a high demand to fix it. XD

One issue that kinda ties into this one though. I believe that the opponent trainer's pokemon should gain exp. if your pokemon faints. By extension, if their pokemon reaches their evolution level, they should evolve midbattle as well, right?

Should it be limited to levelup evolutions or should using evolutionary stones midbattle do their job as well? (at the cost of your turn of course)

Back