• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokemon should evolve during battles

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    I agree that it's a good idea, but I don't see Nintendo putting it in. I mean, I wouldn't care if they didn't put it in and I'm sure a lot of other people wouldn't either, but it would be cool to see. They'll probably just stick with the Pokemon evolving after the battle though.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I would love for a Pokémon to evolve during a battle. I've wanted that to happen for the longest time. Nintendo should totally check these ideas out.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    It'd lessen the difficulty of a battle. For example:

You're up to your last pokemon. The opponent has 6 pokemon left. You finish a pokemon with Monferno. It has medium HP. Then it levels up and evolves into Infernape then it randomly sweeps the opponents team..... >_>

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'd love it. So many times has a pokémon reached the level needed for evolution in the middle of a long battle, and then I've had to keep it alive to the end of the battle so it could evolve. Bah! Let them evolve mid-battle, I say. Much cooler.

Years
    Why so many people are saying evolution in the battle would be unfair if the enemy is winning, that is what evolution means. U need to evolve to stay ahead of your opponents and stay as the top dog.

Just like in real world, if species won't adapt to situations and changes to evolve itself that species would become extinct in no time at all. Just like if there is only small animals like rabbits in the area and *foxes kill them to live. Then a *wolf appears and as a better hunter and bigger size it would easily become top hunter of its territory. It would leave fox 3 opinions:

1: To evolve, either physically or mentally to become smart enought to avoid Wolfes or grow bigger in size after thousands of years to match the Wolf.

2: To give up and try to find different animals to hunt that Wolf can't or they have no interest to hunt.

3: To extinct in reing of a stronger predator.

Natural selection is harsh thing, and only strong survive. If you won't evolve you will die, darn simple :P

When evolution happens it should just happen, it would just be very cool if they made this work in the pokemon game.

*Wolf and Fox are just simple examples, this does not mean they overlap in the real world, but I hope you get the idea.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Good idea is a good idea.I like it.But unless there is someone nintendo maker here(New so I dont know all members on here) it will never happen.

Pearlone

Beginning Mapper Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    haha though the stats dont change much when u evolve, mayb a new awesome attack could finish ur oponent. but yeh i guess its cool. but i kinda like to see my pokemon evolve front on...
    they do on the hard to evolve pokemon ex. Pupitar to Tyranitar, Gabite to Garchomp and whatnot.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2016
    It would be nice, you know another thing that should be implemented? Enemy tainer's pokemon leveling up in battle. (In Ruby I had traded over a lv 100 Tyranitar, gainst braly, it never listened, and was KO'd you'dthink that lil' Makuhita would've gained a level from that)

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Omg I had the very same idea!! I love how epic it is in the anime when Pokemon evolve in the battle!! They really should do that in the next games, it would be awesome!

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Not a bad idea, since many pokemon both in the anime and manga sometimes undergo evolution in the middle of battle

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
    I don't want to see this to be honest. Its not because of the unfair advantage thing you have going on, but just for the sake of annoynance with some pokemon.

Lets say you have a Pokemon that evolves with a stone, move, friendship, or trade, and you didn't want it.
    Granted theres B button, but I see this as an annoyance.

Plus, what gain would this be to anything? I mean, sure you may gain a stat boost or so when you evolve. What if your going up agianst something that has something like quick attack or such.

Also, this would still take place in between a pokemon kill. Think about it, you gain the exp AFTER you faint the darn thing!

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    I don't want to see this to be honest. Its not because of the unfair advantage thing you have going on, but just for the sake of annoynance with some pokemon.

Lets say you have a Pokemon that evolves with a stone, move, friendship, or trade, and you didn't want it.
    Granted theres B button, but I see this as an annoyance.

Plus, what gain would this be to anything? I mean, sure you may gain a stat boost or so when you evolve. What if your going up agianst something that has something like quick attack or such.

Also, this would still take place in between a pokemon kill. Think about it, you gain the exp AFTER you faint the darn thing!

To your latter point: exactly. You gain experience after each faint. You can raise a level after each faint. You gain stats and learn new moves. But they don't let you evolve until the very end of the battle. Why?

Also, I don't understand your annoyance with the evolution thing. If the Pokemon levelled up to the correct level, you would have to press the B button to stop it at the end of the battle anyway, even if it doesn't evolve mid-battle. Regardless of when it evolves, you will have to press the B-button the exact same number of times unless you go up multiple levels in one battle. (And how would a Pokemon evolve via trade during a battle?)

I've always wondered why they never implemented mid-battle evolution, especially since you do level up and learn new moves mid-battle. My best guess would be that in R/B/Y they coded the evolution to happen at the end of a battle but forgot to add in a special case for multi-pokemon trainer battles, and have stuck with it since.

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
    To your latter point: exactly. You gain experience after each faint. You can raise a level after each faint. You gain stats and learn new moves. But they don't let you evolve until the very end of the battle. Why?

What sort of answer are you looking for? A fluffy one is that the evolution will require concentration/energy - during a battle the pokemon is incapable of providing either to evolving whilst trying not to get stabbed to death by move of unspeakable pointy horror

A game one? Because of the reasons outlined above about evolution. Because it gets in the way of a battle - and how about because an evolution is something of a 'reward' for doing well in the game, so the risk of losing it is something you have to deal with. This is an rpg but with a focus on battling - interrupting a battle for rpg elements doesnt seem to fit in with what is trying to be achieved in the core games. All imo of course

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    No way, it would be to cheap. That gives you an unfair advantage. That like when your at level 20 going to the first patch of grass and there is a level 5 Pokemon. Unfair man. On top of that it would make things more complex.

um..no. just take it to stronger areas then. and if you think about it, the TC's idea wouldn't even that often, it's not like it will happen in every single battle you do

Thunderhead

Ride the Lightning
    Years
    ^^^With the whole trade thing. I was talking about if it had double evolutions.

Also, even with the pressing of the B button, its still an annoyance regardless.

Years
    That will be a nice change.
    After so many pokemon with the same kind of battle, at least they should do this new thing.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    ^^^With the whole trade thing. I was talking about if it had double evolutions.

Also, even with the pressing of the B button, its still an annoyance regardless.

My point still stands. It's just as annoying after the battle as during, so why does it matter when the Pokemon starts evolving, since it would still only try once per level?

vietazn654

A sound soul dwells within me
    Years
    Yeah that would be cool =p but how about if you want to prevent your Pokemon from evolving? Do you still press B then? xD But I agree that would be awesome.

Back