• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
Years
  • Amazing to see the final update! I've been extremely excited about this and the changes already look incredible. Having official Mint support is wonderful, and I'm so happy to see all the additional polish with the changed graphics and updated cards.

I will say it was a little deflating to see that my dialogue changes weren't used for the Mint version, I really liked them, but it seems you're going for gender neutrality with the pronouns/dialogue - and I think that's the better move, if so. However, I think the new dialogue is a bit flat - changing "because I'm a girl" to "because of my hobby" just doesn't have as much flavor. I also noticed that there are typos - "thier" in Dr Mason's dialogue instead of "their."

So I wanted to offer to go over the dialogue, fix typos, and do some light spicing up of the new non-gendered dialogue. My changes wouldn't be as dramatic as the ones in my previous patch, since I want to keep the gender neutrality. Is that something you'd be interested in me doing for you?

PM me and I'll at least listen. I am probably done with this game though. Also yes, gender neutrality is preferrable because it saves me time when editing two versions if the game, and I don't have to keep constant track of which dialouge is in which version.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Pardon me for not really understanding your github repo, but I can't figure out how to build the rom from your provided source. Do I merge this on top of the current poketcg pret? It errors out every time I try to build the rom it this way.
    (I have the baserom already set up and I have built the poketcg rom in the past)

Years
  • Just finished the game, getting a copy of every card! It was very fun, amazing job! I enjoyed a lot the different strategies you could do. I went simple and didn't make any multi-type decks, although they must be fun as well. The decks I mainly run were:

- Grass deck, with a focus on Sunflora (Sunkern is very decent to start duels), Crobat, and especially Bellossom, which is an amazing card.
    - Water deck, with Politoed to charge energies, Kingdra and Sneasel.
    - Fighting Deck, using Steelix and Tyranitar, who is also very strong.

I also used sometimes a Fire Deck with Typhlosion, Entei and Houndoom, and a Lightning Deck with Pikachu and Ampharos. So very simple yet strong and fun builds!

As for balance, I feel like the game is well balanced. Maybe Electabuzz with only 50 HP and 2 not very strong moves could be a bit bulkier, maybe 60 HP? I don't know, not much to say, it can be seen the huge amount of work put into this to balance the game (with the limitations of the original game) and make it fun.

So yeah, thank you for the experience!!

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Pardon me for not really understanding your github repo, but I can't figure out how to build the rom from your provided source. Do I merge this on top of the current poketcg pret? It errors out every time I try to build the rom it this way.
    (I have the baserom already set up and I have built the poketcg rom in the past)

You shouldn't have to merge it with the officiL pret, first of all. What error message are you getting in Cygwin, make I can help if I know what it is.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I'm using wsl (not that this should matter too much). I cloned your github to Pokemon-TCG-Neo and using "make" in the folder says make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop..

If I include the makefile from the poketcg pret it says instead:
    "make: Entering directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools' gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o scan_includes scan_includes.c gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o gfx gfx.c make: Leaving directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools'
    tools/scan_includes: invalid option -- 'I'
    Makefile:85: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.
    "

Cataclyptic

Years
  • I'm using wsl (not that this should matter too much). I cloned your github to Pokemon-TCG-Neo and using "make" in the folder says make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop..

If I include the makefile from the poketcg pret it says instead:
    "make: Entering directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools' gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o scan_includes scan_includes.c gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o gfx gfx.c make: Leaving directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools'
    "

I have never seen this error before but I'll take a stab at it. It looks like there is some sort of error either in the way you are making the file or the tools section.

First, try making the file just using "/home/username/Pokemon-TCG-Neo" and see what happens. Second, try copying the tools section of my pret file back into the one on your local computer. If that doesn't work, try copying the tools section of the official pret file into that section. If those don't work, tell me what happens and I'll try again.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Doing a fresh clone to /home/username/Pokemon-TCG-Neo and including the tools & makefile from the original pret gives me a very large error that I posted on pastebin here to not post a huge message.

Moving JUST the Makefile from the pret and using the original tools folder from your github gives me this error instead:
    make: Entering directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools' gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o scan_includes scan_includes.c gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o gfx gfx.c make: Leaving directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools'

Would you be able to provide your Makefile in your pret? Maybe that's my issue (I'm assuming the current TCG pret is more recent than the one you were working with which has different variable names)

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Doing a fresh clone to /home/username/Pokemon-TCG-Neo and including the tools & makefile from the original pret gives me a very large error that I posted on pastebin here to not post a huge message.

Moving JUST the Makefile from the pret and using the original tools folder from your github gives me this error instead:
    make: Entering directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools' gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o scan_includes scan_includes.c gcc -O3 -std=c99 -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -o gfx gfx.c make: Leaving directory '/home/mechawful/Pokemon-TCG-Neo/tools'

Would you be able to provide your Makefile in your pret? Maybe that's my issue (I'm assuming the current TCG pret is more recent than the one you were working with which has different variable names)

Okay I think I figured it out. The problem might be that I am using a slightly outdated version of the official pret, I am not sure on that. HOWEVER, I am sure that the makefile still works in this specific hack regardless, as do several other files. So I did a little fiddling around and I copied some useful attributes from the (maybe) outdated version into the main root of the folder- I was getting the exact same errors as you until I did this specific thing. Once those files got copied, voila, the Make command works again.

So here's what you do: I just updated my pret again, this time with those useful files. In about five minutes or so it should be live. Do a fresh git clone of this version and this time there should be no problems making the game.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This hack is wonderful. I'm six medals into my first save file and this experience has totally revitalized a game that I've been playing off and on for most of my life. I can see myself coming back to this hack just as much as the original game going forward. Thanks for your hard work, Cataclyptic!

Anyways, I noticed what appears to be a tiny bug: Unown (J) seems to lack a card rarity icon, at least in my copy of v1.2. It's hardly game breaking, and I believe you mentioned being largely done with this project, but I figured I'd mention it on the off chance you end up revisiting this at some point.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • This hack is wonderful. I'm six medals into my first save file and this experience has totally revitalized a game that I've been playing off and on for most of my life. I can see myself coming back to this hack just as much as the original game going forward. Thanks for your hard work, Cataclyptic!

Anyways, I noticed what appears to be a tiny bug: Unown (J) seems to lack a card rarity icon, at least in my copy of v1.2. It's hardly game breaking, and I believe you mentioned being largely done with this project, but I figured I'd mention it on the off chance you end up revisiting this at some point.

That's actually not a bug, all promo cards lack a rarity icon. But otherwise thank you for your kind comment!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • I just finished this, and absolutely loved it. However, I feel it's essential that I mention this oddity I came across while playing. You can cheese Ronald's end game deck (The one which has a Woubaffet) by just hitting the "Done" button without attacking it, and Ronald will not go on the offense and keep drawing cards till he runs out of more to draw.

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • I just finished this, and absolutely loved it. However, I feel it's essential that I mention this oddity I came across while playing. You can cheese Ronald's end game deck (The one which has a Woubaffet) by just hitting the "Done" button without attacking it, and Ronal will no go on the offense and keep drawing cards till he runs out of more to draw.

Shoot, you're right. Okay I'll fix that soon somehow.

EDIT: I swear the AI is going to be the death of me. It can't process my new attacks and now this too.

So in the internal data, I programmed it such that Wobuffet never retreats because it's a staller until Ronald can get his other cards out. Turns out that this applies even when Ronald gets his good cards out and ready. There are some ways around this annoying behavior, but I'm just going to go with the simplest one and replace it with Miltank, since that option disrupts his deck the least.

Seems like I'll have to make a version 1.3. This fix will be in that update.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    Hi, couldn't find any info on this from previous posts. What emulator are people using to play this? I've tried John emulator for both gbc and GBA and neither of them work, even though I can get other gbc GBA roms to work on them, any pointers would be appreciated!

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Hi, couldn't find any info on this from previous posts. What emulator are people using to play this? I've tried John emulator for both gbc and GBA and neither of them work, even though I can get other gbc GBA roms to work on them, any pointers would be appreciated!

Try VBA-M Emulator, it's the latest model I guess and works for streaming, even.

Days
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    This looks amazing... I will play this asap.

I know it is beyond the current possibilities, but there has to be someone, who can expand the card limit and the limit for types.
    Maybe someone from the Pokemon R/B/Y or G/S/C hackers can do it.
    I will try to contact/ask people.

For now, thank you sooo much for making this hack!!

Days
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    I was looking around a bit.
    The situation is like this:
    -Pokemon TCG has a byte to identify cards. So about 30 cards can be added without much work. It has already been done!! 254 cards are possible.
    -Pokemon TCG2 has more cardslots (64k spots?).
    The disassambly of Pokemob tcg2 is in the works, but it will take some time.

If anyone is interested, you can join the disassambly discord and support the project by participating or just thanking the guys working on it🙂.

Just google pokemon tcg dissambly and you will find a discord link (Discord Server name is "pret")

Cataclyptic

Years
  • SURPRISE VERSION UPDATE

I am not done hacking this game, as the rest of the changes will come in V 1.3. But I wanted to get a version of this game out early to fix some exploits and glitches. Especially Clefable's pokepower.

We have title screen edits, a sh*tton of balance changes (Blame Gotron for the longass document I had to write), fixes, typo fixes and more!

Note: Some of the in game text will be incorrect, such as one of the books saying Kabutop's attack does 20x damage. This is because I am not done with effect changes and balance edits yet, this text will be corrected when I am done with all of that first. So for now, just ignore it.

Version 1.3 will be the probably final version. It seems like some people already sniffed out what I was up to, so I won't keep it a secret: I'm adding even more pokemon next. Place bets as to which ones I'll put in, I only have about 26 spaces before I hit the FF byte in constants!!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Will some of the cards be from the rest of the Neo Series sets or even some from Gym Challenge and/or Heroes?

Back