• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    An interesting development for Sun and Moon has come about. At E3 press were given a special access look at all that was shown through a username and password on a side E3 site. A user on twitter( I won't mention who.), gave out the username and password to the public, so they could view it. A user on 4chan noticed there was a fact sheet for sun and moon. This revealed nothing new, but when put through a hex editor they found this:

Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?

https://boards.4chan.org/vp/thread/26754470/username-nintendo

The list for Sun and Moon relates to the rating, and mentions, mild language, gambling and alcohol.

What could this mean?

The language could relate to mild swearing, gambling could mean the Game corner is back, but I have no clue about alcohol.

And yes this is real and can be found in the hex editor.

What are your thoughts on this?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It would be T themes. I think. I wouldn't really be surprised. Especially if the Golf Course is a clubhouse. I can see all of these things being there.

Also T rating isn't very big. Most games have references as it is. WoW is a T game and has a ton of alcohol in it.

To be fairly honest, it is hard to believe something like this. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was another game.

The fact this is from 4Chan, makes it even harder to believe it.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    "Mild Suggestive Themes" in this case would probably be "you'll see chicks in bikinis in this game", because you're kind of on a beach and people do sunbathe, etc. And shirtless guys, I suppose.

Gambling would probably mean something related to Game Corner, although it would be a surprising maneuver to bring back the Game Corner after it being gone for so many years.

What I'm most surprised about is the mild language...has there really been any swearing in a Pokemon game before? Seems like the biggest surprise to me, and the alcohol part. I'm honestly taking these two ratings with a grain of salt unless we have some more gameplay videos featuring some examples of these...
    I don't know if we will see these in a video, more so find them ourselves. Suggesstive themes makes sense. And I think the GC could come back through fan demand after all this time.

No pokemon game has used mild language, but the Japanese anime does.

It would be T themes. I think. I wouldn't really be surprised. Especially if the Golf Course is a clubhouse. I can see all of these things being there.

Also T rating isn't very big. Most games have references as it is. WoW is a T game and has a ton of alcohol in it.

To be fairly honest, it is hard to believe something like this. I also wouldn't be surprised if it was another game.

The fact this is from 4Chan, makes it even harder to believe it.

The golf course makes perfect sense actually!

True T isn't big, but no mainline Pokemon has it.

4chan actually is usually on point with data dumping. They do a lot of datamining for games as well as big dataminers on twitter. You can see it for yourself. It seems to check out. I just deleted hex editor, but I'll explore in it tomorrow if I can and redownload it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • If it was going to get a T-rating, then it'll only put more fuel into the flame on 4chan's complaints about the female protagonist lacking any eye candy features like her past predecessors, because the rating listed "mild suggestive themes."

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    "Mild Language", "Mild Suggestive Themes", and "Use of Alcohol" don't necessarily equate to a T rating or mean that the game will have PG-13 aspects. Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life is rated E but has "Alcohol References" and "Suggestive Themes" in its rating. Like Angie said, mild suggestive themes could just be in there because it's very likely that people in swimwear will be in the game, and that is enough to get that from the ESRB.

Mild language could literally just be one character says like ass or something once in the entire game. Use of alcohol legit ranges from one bottle of beer appearing in the game all the way up to something like Fallout where you can actually consume alcohol and it affects your character.

Nevermind that leaks should always be taken with grains of salt until we get official confirmation.

But man would I like to see Pokemon take it up a smidge

Deníz1

Die Nacht ist des Freien Freund
    Years
  • wh would a T eatimg be bad? iirc T is Teens. And since im seeing a trend of pokemon players rather being 18+ rather than 6+ years it would match and show GF knows their ''clients''.

i see pokemon as a game kept aliveMOSTLEY for the players started playingin gen 1-3 ratheer than for thenkida ofbtoday. todays kids most likely arent that much into pokemon anymore they have theor own stuff they all like. this also shows by making remakes of the first gens - bringing gen 1-3 pokemon into the games (especially legendaries seem to be much liked)

So imho Pokemon isnt for Kidsa from 6-16 anymore, its morelikely a Game for this Crazy's who are still in Love with Pokemon since they started in the 90's early 2000'S with the game.

just mho

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • "Mild Language", "Mild Suggestive Themes", and "Use of Alcohol" don't necessarily equate to a T rating or mean that the game will have PG-13 aspects. Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life is rated E but has "Alcohol References" and "Suggestive Themes" in its rating. Like Angie said, mild suggestive themes could just be in there because it's very likely that people in swimwear will be in the game, and that is enough to get that from the ESRB.

Mild language could literally just be one character says like ass or something once in the entire game. Use of alcohol legit ranges from one bottle of beer appearing in the game all the way up to something like Fallout where you can actually consume alcohol and it affects your character.

Nevermind that leaks should always be taken with grains of salt until we get official confirmation.

But man would I like to see Pokemon take it up a smidge
    If the leak is true then perhaps we could get a drunk admin or grunt who ends up giving us the password/key to the boss...

Years
  • I think the fact we saw a girl in a bikini might suggest a more mature rating for this game, but the gambling seems to raise concerns because I know the main link to gambling in Pokemon was the Game Corner and it was banned in the games due to PEGI (European rating system) changing their classification standards.

Mild language is the most baffling one because I don't think main series Pokemon games have any cursing or offensive language, so I guess there's an NPC who might say some bad language considered inappropriate for kids? ORandAS's theory about a drunk member of the villainous team could also fit into this.

As Angie and Icy said, since this is 4chan we should take it with a grain of salt. But the prospect of Sun & Moon being the first "mature" Pokemon games that would suggest being inappropriate to kids (which is usually Pokemon's target audience) is really taking things too far.

As Angie said, a T rating (which would be an equivalent to M for my country) is isolating a whole demographic, the demographic that Pokemon was meant to appeal to in the first place.

Years
  • I think the fact we saw a girl in a bikini might suggest a more mature rating for this game, but the gambling seems to raise concerns because I know the main link to gambling in Pokemon was the Game Corner and it was banned in the games due to PEGI (European rating system) changing their classification standards.

Mild language is the most baffling one because I don't think main series Pokemon games have any cursing or offensive language, so I guess there's an NPC who might say some bad language considered inappropriate for kids? ORandAS's theory about a drunk member of the villainous team could also fit into this.

As Angie and Icy said, since this is 4chan we should take it with a grain of salt. But the prospect of Sun & Moon being the first "mature" Pokemon games that would suggest being inappropriate to kids (which is usually Pokemon's target audience) is really taking things too far.

As Angie said, a T rating (which would be an equivalent to M for my country) is isolating a whole demographic, the demographic that Pokemon was meant to appeal to in the first place.
    We have seen girls in Bikini's before, look at the swimmer females since at least far back as Ruby and Sapphire. Unless if they got stricter then it must be something else, or this 'leak' is wrong/fake.

Years
  • We have seen girls in Bikini's before, look at the swimmer females since at least far back as Ruby and Sapphire. Unless if they got stricter then it must be something else, or this 'leak' is wrong/fake.

I call fake, because 4chan is never to be trusted. I could never imagine Game Freak ignoring kids like that, especially with the changes to the bottom screen interface in battle.

Years
  • I call fake, because 4chan is never to be trusted. I could never imagine Game Freak ignoring kids like that, especially with the changes to the bottom screen interface in battle.
    You do realize that kids these days play rated 13, T, and even some play rated M. Even back when I was a kid I recall my same aged cousins played rated 13 and T games. Perhaps Nintendo has realized that fact. The appearance of Pokémon would still appeal to kids with it's colorful animals that fight.

I do have my doubts about it though, however, 4chan has had real leaks before. They had several of the real BW leaks irc.

Last edited:
    Years
  • T would, as said, keep it from a demographic that they have generally increasingly attempted to appeal to, and probably be a strange direction for them to pursue consistently from there. At this point, it's probably not something they want to pursue.

At this point it would be amusing if it went completely in the opposite direction and ended up with an adult rating.

Years
  • You do realize that kids these days play rated 13, T, and even some play rated M. Even back when I was a kid I recall my same aged cousins played rated 13 and T games. Perhaps Nintendo has realized that fact. The appearance of Pokémon would still appear to kids with it's colorful animals that fight.

I do have my doubts about it though, however, 4chan has had real leaks before. They had several of the real BW leaks irc.

Nintendo picking up on the kids playing mature games thing? That is weird, but it has been a common sight in the video gaming community lately, although I still feel concerned for parents who don't like letting their kids near inappropriate stuff.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I hope that the gambling idea is not gambling on battles. with more audiences and characters shown around the ring and the battles possibly getting bet on, it would be way too close to cockfighting or dog fighting, which is already something pokemon gets compared to in negative lighting.

Nath74K

Pokéfan
    Years
  • Pokemon has always been a game for everyone, especially for kids. I don't think they're going to make Sun and Moon PG13, because they would lost a huge part of their demographics.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    If it was going to get a T-rating, then it'll only put more fuel into the flame on 4chan's complaints about the female protagonist lacking any eye candy features like her past predecessors, because the rating listed "mild suggestive themes."
    Ironically though, they still make threads about her here and there. But they have lilie now lol.
    If the leak is true then perhaps we could get a drunk admin or grunt who ends up giving us the password/key to the boss...

This would be pretty funny. Imagine something like whismicott whisky.

And just to prove that 4chan isn't lying( as I said is true with cases likes these). Here's a look at it again. I pulled it up just now:

Attachments

• Potential Spoilers? Sun and Moon to have PG 13 themes?
      Screenshot (135).jpg
      309.5 KB · Views: 19

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So I noticed in your photo and in the previous photo that the description above the "Teen Rating" description is a description of the "E 10+ rating", so how can we be positive that this is not some database that is just holding all of the possible ratings that this game could have? If it's not, then why is an E 10+ rating pictured in the data there at all?
    I'm definitely curious about this, but at the same time it does still seem fishy.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    So I noticed in your photo and in the previous photo that the description above the "Teen Rating" description is a description of the "E 10+ rating", so how can we be positive that this is not some database that is just holding all of the possible ratings that this game could have? If it's not, then why is an E 10+ rating pictured in the data there at all?
    I'm definitely curious about this, but at the same time it does still seem fishy.

I don't know. Maybe they are still able to get E 10 somehow. This comes from putting a fact sheet through a hex editor. The line mentions a rating, while if you go down a few lines it talks about starting your journey, explore Alola and embark on a quest to become champion. With over & new pokemon!! It's not the & symbol they use in place of the number but something similar. So this seems likely.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2017
    I highly doubt that S&M would get a T rating, since it would alienate a significant part of the playerbase. Even if the games are excellent, the T rating would significantly impact sales negatively internationally, and the devs for Yokai Watch would see an increase in sales. I don't think GF would want that. Anyways, I would prefer that the games would target the youth and the old, instead of alienating one of them.

Years
  • I highly doubt that S&M would get a T rating, since it would alienate a significant part of the playerbase. Even if the games are excellent, the T rating would significantly impact sales negatively internationally, and the devs for Yokai Watch would see an increase in sales. I don't think GF would want that. Anyways, I would prefer that the games would target the youth and the old, instead of alienating one of them.

As we know, Yo-Kai Watch is already extremely popular with kids so if we had Sun & Moon aimed at older players (and is only recommended for older players due to a mature rating classification) it'll be bad for Pokemon who are trying so desperately to win back fans who switched to Team Yo-Kai.

Yo-Kai is popular due to not being "repetitive" in its format and that's why more Japanese kids are on Team Yo-Kai, so Game Freak is picking up on this rivalry and doing some big changes to Pokemon so that it doesn't lose the fan war to the Yo-Kai.

Back