• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
  • Kanto remakes of some sort will have to happen at some point, especially with the alternate dimension thing they pulled in OR/AS. Still, though, Game Freak seems to have a problem with keeping the remakes far too close to the originals (FR/LG are the exact same but with a new coat of paint and the addition of the Seviii Islands which...weren't all that exciting, they tried with OR/AS but decided against adding certain things like a better Safari Zone and Gym Leader rematches in favor of keeping it close to R/S), so I'd prefer sequels over remakes if the remakes are going to be nothing but the same old same old but with Mega Evolutions and Fairy types. If people really want to experience the original stories that badly, then they could watch Pokemon Origins (which includes Mega Evolution to a small degree, so that covers that).

You know if they go ahead and remake Yellow they should throw in Johto and Hoenn...at least Johto to push keep the tide of another HgSs away for the time being. Since the Yellow was based on the anime they could take cues and add anime stuff to Johto. Essential a Yellow remake will become a tribute to the Original saga of the anime. Also that'll make Sinnoh the most outdated region design wise (well actually it is already as DPP were before HgSs and those had Kanto in them, and now Hoenn which was the former oldest has been remade).

I agree with Johto for that same reason, but...why Hoenn? It just got a remake and it was considered a different series anime wise.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Well Gen 3 also includes FrLg (and Emerald), just saying. While Kanto is next to Unova as my least favorite regions (with Hoenn as my fav) I would like to see what they do with it's story line after seeing what they did with RS.

I group remakes in with the Generation they were remaking, so FRLG = Gen 1, HGSS = Gen 2, ORAS = Gen 3, and so on.

Btw saying FrLg were made for an obsolete console makes it sound like the GBA was already obsolete when the games themselves came out...

Well, technically, it was on the verge of becoming obsolete as that was the same year the DS was released. Nevertheless, I think we can all agree that the GBA is extremely outdated nowadays. If it wasn't, then ORAS wouldn't have been made.

2018 won't be a bad time actually. I guess they could start Gen VII on 2016, have the third version/sequels on 2017 or 2019, have Yellow on 2018, have a break and have DP remakes. Or maybe Yellow will be like FrLg were to Emerald in Japan, those three were released in 2004 there. Maybe they could be release a couple of months after the start of Gen VIII which maybe 2018 (btw I just figured how you got this from my pattern...2004 plus 14. Then DP remakes by 2022? and HgSs remakes by 2028?), and have a third version in 2019, and by 2020 DP remakes. Of course if they do that then next will come HgSs remakes as they will eventually have as much issues as the main Kanto games do now...and then we Hoenn fans will want Delta Emerald (I will be way too old though at this rate)...and so on...

Well, if the "FRLG remake" is actually a Yellow remake, then the "HGSS remake" would probably be a Crystal remake. Based on that pattern, New!Yellow and New!Crystal would be 10 years apart, despite the games taking place three years apart.

Nitpicky or not, but one thing I didn't like about FRLG and HGSS is how much further apart they were from their respective originals. While RBY and GSC were made for the same handheld and had very similar graphics, FRLG and HGSS were made for different handhelds and had very different graphics. This had the (annoying, IMO) effect of making HGSS feel less like sequels than GSC did, especially with the lack of direct connectivity between the remakes (something the originals also had).

So, here's a radical idea--Why not do Yellow and Crystal in the same Gen? Let's treat Gen 2 more like the Gen 1 sequel it was meant to be and have it be the B2W2 to Gen 1's BW. While HGSS isn't anywhere near as outdated as FRLG, it (along with the Unova games) will be as soon as DPP become outdated enough to need remakes, so why not knock out two birds with one stone and ease the remake burden later on? Besides, Yellow and Crystal are both standalone games, and you know how much GF loves to release pairs. Why not do something different and put them together?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • @ Betty

I had a similar idea, but that includes both games in one cartridge. Like how the Kingdom Hearts Hd remakes had two games in one plus a movie.
    For the game which could be called Pokemon Thunder Crystal it could have us play through Kanto first then have access to the Johto story line. They could spice up Johto's by giving Ho-oh, Lugia, the Beast trio, and the starters Megas. Also maybe a story where Ho-oh and Lugia become a central focus of the plot, at least to the level Suicune was in Crystal, with Suicune of course having the largest role. At the end when you challenge Red/Leaf! he/she could have the team you defeated the E4 with in the Kanto part (with it being updated with every new Hall of Fame.) If you chose Leaf then Red can appear in another area with his usual team but with a Mega of the starter nor picked. Also access to the PWT post game either where the old man is bulding something (yay a world where he actually completes it!) It'll be quite large but the Kanto region model can be reused except for some areas between the two so only Johto and perhaps the Sevii islands will be extra but those are small. I think the New 3DS may be able to handle such a game. Or maybe have it be two cartridges but packed together (initially) as a special for the 20th or 25th anniversary which will be fitting to include both as the series was meant to end with Johto.

Now for some things from ORAS to back up eventual Kanto remakes being likely. Someone mentions that a place in Hoenn (Irc it was in Lilycove) reminds him of his hometown. Meanwhile another mentions he hopes Lissia would go visit his home region of Kanto.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I think everyone would like to see each region (especially their favorite region) on the newest console or handheld, but the next remakes we'll be getting will be Diamond and Pearl.

Truthfully, I would SOOO love to see a Colosseum/XD remake/sequel on the Wii U. I feel like it would really give a little 'umph' to the Gen III nostalgia, since Colosseum was the first story-driven console Pokémon game that we got and it was released sort of alongside Ruby and Sapphire.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I still feel that if a new game in Kanto comes about, I'd like to have a new adventure in it. Maybe even travel to Johto postgame and reverse what GSC/HGSS did. But I don't feel that any Kanto-focused game it will happen this generation. We'll just have to wait and see on that front. (Besides, a 25 year anniversary would be more fitting imo than 20).

And there's potential for that too, given as mentioned above they'd have to throw in a new typing and mega evolutions now. If it's a remake, then it'd have to have some sort of differences given the ORAS Delta Episode thing (which really places all other games separate from ORAS and XY now). You could also make it a sequel of a ORAS/XY-version RBY by having Professor Blue (he's mentioned in XY) be the one who got back from Kalos and inform you about Mega Evolution.
    BettyNewbie said:
    I wouldn't want to start with a Pichu; it's stats are terrible, even by Baby standards. Imagine just how much more of a nightmare Brock would be.

And, I also don't want Pikachu to get a Mega Evolution. It already obsoletes Raichu enough with the Light Ball. Instead, let Raichu have the Mega (either Electric/Fairy or Electric/Fighting).

Here are some ways Pikachu could stand out:

- Guaranteed Light Ball
    - Learns Volt Tackle at L50 (instead of Thunder)
    - Can learn Surf and Fly straight from the HMs
    - Will always follow you (like in the originals)
    I agree with that, and Pikachu already has enough attention as it is with the likes of Contest ones and the event Pichus too. Not sure I agree with the ways it stands out besides maybe the Light Ball being given to you (ala mega stones being given to you in the sixth gen games). Volt Tackle is a special move that I feel should remain an egg move, and likewise the Fly and Surf ones should remain unique to those events rather than be possible for everyone (otherwise having one that can surf or fly is no longer special, much like how having a shiny Gyarados isn't special now). As for following you... I'd be fine with that if anything else could do that too like with HGSS, haha.
    OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire said:
    Now for some things from ORAS to back up eventual Kanto remakes being likely. Someone mentions that a place in Hoenn (Irc it was in Lilycove) reminds him of his hometown. Meanwhile another mentions he hopes Lissia would go visit his home region of Kanto.
    Wasn't that first NPC you mention also in the original RSE games?
    Mochi said:
    Truthfully, I would SOOO love to see a Colosseum/XD remake/sequel on the Wii U. I feel like it would really give a little 'umph' to the Gen III nostalgia, since Colosseum was the first story-driven console Pokémon game that we got and it was released sort of alongside Ruby and Sapphire.
    Yes please!

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    @ Betty

I had a similar idea, but that includes both games in one cartridge. Like how the Kingdom Hearts Hd remakes had two games in one plus a movie.
    For the game which could be called Pokemon Thunder Crystal it could have us play through Kanto first then have access to the Johto story line. They could spice up Johto's by giving Ho-oh, Lugia, the Beast trio, and the starters Megas. Also maybe a story where Ho-oh and Lugia become a central focus of the plot, at least to the level Suicune was in Crystal, with Suicune of course having the largest role. At the end when you challenge Red/Leaf! he/she could have the team you defeated the E4 with in the Kanto part (with it being updated with every new Hall of Fame.) If you chose Leaf then Red can appear in another area with his usual team but with a Mega of the starter nor picked. Also access to the PWT post game either where the old man is bulding something (yay a world where he actually completes it!) It'll be quite large but the Kanto region model can be reused except for some areas between the two so only Johto and perhaps the Sevii islands will be extra but those are small. I think the New 3DS may be able to handle such a game. Or maybe have it be two cartridges but packed together (initially) as a special for the 20th or 25th anniversary which will be fitting to include both as the series was meant to end with Johto.

Well, I wouldn't bundle New!Yellow and New!Crystal together as part of the same game (which would be too much), but releasing them as a pair of games could work. Since Gen 2 is intended to be a direct sequel to Gen 1, I just feel that the two should be released closer together.

Otherwise, your ideas are good.

(I should also note that they could do something similar with the Unova games when they come up for remakes, like a "Grey"/"Grey 2" pair. This simplifies the remake schedule into Gen 1/Gen 2 (2018), Gen 4 (2022), and Gen 5 (2028).)

I still feel that if a new game in Kanto comes about, I'd like to have a new adventure in it. Maybe even travel to Johto postgame and reverse what GSC/HGSS did. But I don't feel that any Kanto-focused game it will happen this generation. We'll just have to wait and see on that front. (Besides, a 25 year anniversary would be more fitting imo than 20).

But, again, what would it be a sequel to? Neither FRLG or HGSS exist on the current timeline.

Not sure I agree with the ways it stands out besides maybe the Light Ball being given to you (ala mega stones being given to you in the sixth gen games). Volt Tackle is a special move that I feel should remain an egg move, and likewise the Fly and Surf ones should remain unique to those events rather than be possible for everyone (otherwise having one that can surf or fly is no longer special, much like how having a shiny Gyarados isn't special now).

Volt Tackle would be an allusion to Red's and Ash's starter Pikachus (which know the move, despite having not been bred), and Surf would be for Pikachu's Beach. (Besides, it's not like this would be the first time people were able to get a Surfing Pikachu without a special limited time event.)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I would be all for another Kanto remake if they'll do the exact following:

- Expand the Pokedex to 190 as it was originally intended, which includes the cross-gen evos of Kanto's Pokémon.
    - Revamp the roster lineup of the gym leaders and Elite Four members as a result of the expanded dex, so duplicates from the same line and Pokémon not associated with their type specialty wouldn't be much of an issue.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I found the covers for the remakes:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Well, I wouldn't bundle New!Yellow and New!Crystal together as part of the same game (which would be too much), but releasing them as a pair of games could work. Since Gen 2 is intended to be a direct sequel to Gen 1, I just feel that the two should be released closer together.

Otherwise, your ideas are good.

(I should also note that they could do something similar with the Unova games when they come up for remakes, like a "Grey"/"Grey 2" pair. This simplifies the remake schedule into Gen 1/Gen 2 (2018), Gen 4 (2022), and Gen 5 (2028).)

But, again, what would it be a sequel to? Neither FRLG or HGSS exist on the current timeline.

Volt Tackle would be an allusion to Red's and Ash's starter Pikachus (which know the move, despite having not been bred), and Surf would be for Pikachu's Beach. (Besides, it's not like this would be the first time people were able to get a Surfing Pikachu without a special limited time event.)

Yeah, I originally thought up of the idea for the joint release for the two BW games (I also hope they'll be called Grey), at least a fused Black and a fused White would be good.

I wouldn't mind an expanded Kanto dex, it's the only one that wasn't expanded in it's remakes. They could give Giovanni Rhyperior, make Mega Nidoking, Steelix, Nidoqueen, Dugtrio (or maybe replace it with Kangaskhan), and maybe Persian if it is a Yellow remake, if not then I guess leave it at 5 (btw what was up with them giving him another Rhyhorn in FrLg when he had a Rhyhorn and a Rhydon in the original RGB).

I just realized something important. What will they do with the base behind the game corner? I guess they could make it into a contest hall with Lisia visiting like that person in Hoenn wanted, and then everyone finds out it's run by Team Rocket...no one would suspect that.

Years
  • I just realized something important. What will they do with the base behind the game corner? I guess they could make it into a contest hall with Lisia visiting like that person in Hoenn wanted, and then everyone finds out it's run by Team Rocket...no one would suspect that.

Maybe have the building be abandoned, but still serve as the entrance to Team Rocket's base? Or they could just replace the games with Voltorb Flip or some equivalent.

Years
  • Maybe have the building be abandoned, but still serve as the entrance to Team Rocket's base? Or they could just replace the games with Voltorb Flip or some equivalent.
    Or maybe a Restraunt like the Mauville one. Speaking of Mauville I'll like to see Saffron become really big and become like Tokyo which it is based off of. It should get a bunch of new sites such as Tokyo Tower (which was based off of the Eiffle tower so they could use Prism Tower's design for it.) Maybe make it the gym.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I wouldn't mind an expanded Kanto dex, it's the only one that wasn't expanded in it's remakes. They could give Giovanni Rhyperior, make Mega Nidoking, Steelix, Nidoqueen, Dugtrio (or maybe replace it with Kangaskhan), and maybe Persian if it is a Yellow remake, if not then I guess leave it at 5 (btw what was up with them giving him another Rhyhorn in FrLg when he had a Rhyhorn and a Rhydon in the original RGB).

My ideal Gen 1 remake would include all of the first 251 Pokémon, all of their pre/evolutions from Gens 3/4/6, and the following 3rd and 4th Gen Pokémon (for type diversity purposes):
    - Poochyena/Mightyena
    - Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
    - Sableye
    - Feebas/Milotic (not a rare type, but they're counterparts to Magikarp/Gyarados)
    - Carvanha/Sharpedo
    - Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon
    - Cacnea/Cacturne
    - Mawile
    - Swablu/Altaria
    - Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir
    - Absol
    - Shuppet/Banette
    - Aron/Lairon/Aggron
    - Drifloon/Drifblim
    - Stunky/Skuntank
    - Bronzor/Bronzong
    - Spiritomb
    - Riolu/Lucario (this one would probably be a must just because of its popularity)
    I just realized something important. What will they do with the base behind the game corner? I guess they could make it into a contest hall with Lisia visiting like that person in Hoenn wanted, and then everyone finds out it's run by Team Rocket...no one would suspect that.

The Game Corner would be tricky. If push comes to shove, they could just stick Voltorb Flip in there like they did in HGSS, but I'd like to see something a little more creative. Like, how about a video game arcade? I've always wanted to see something like that in the Pokémon games, and this would be a good opportunity to put one in.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing Celadon completely redesigned like Mauville was in ORAS. The newer handhelds are capable of so much more than the GB/C and GBA, so I'd like them to take advantage of that.

Years
  • My ideal Gen 1 remake would include all of the first 251 Pokémon, all of their pre/evolutions from Gens 3/4/6, and the following 3rd and 4th Gen Pokémon (for type diversity purposes):
    - Poochyena/Mightyena
    - Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
    - Sableye
    - Feebas/Milotic (not a rare type, but they're counterparts to Magikarp/Gyarados)
    - Carvanha/Sharpedo
    - Cacnea/Cacturne
    - Mawile
    - Swablu/Altaria
    - Absol
    - Shuppet/Banette
    - Aron/Lairon/Aggron
    - Drifloon/Drifblim
    - Stunky/Skuntank
    - Bronzor/Bronzong
    - Spiritomb
    - Riolu/Lucario (this one would probably be a must just because of its popularity)
    The Game Corner would be tricky. If push comes to shove, they could just stick Voltorb Flip in there like they did in HGSS, but I'd like to see something a little more creative. Like, how about a video game arcade? I've always wanted to see something like that in the Pokémon games, and this would be a good opportunity to put one in.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing Celadon completely redesigned like Mauville was in ORAS. The newer handhelds are capable of so much more than the GB/C and GBA, so I'd like them to take advantage of that.

No Gen V or Gen VI additions?

I would love a game arcade. I wanted them to do that for the Mauville Game Corner but alas they did not.

I wouldn't mind Celadon being redesigned but I'll also like to see Saffron City be turned into a large Lumiose like Metropolis or larger so that it'll actually look more like the Tokyo it's based off of.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • My ideal Gen 1 remake would include all of the first 251 Pokémon, all of their pre/evolutions from Gens 3/4/6, and the following 3rd and 4th Gen Pokémon (for type diversity purposes):
    - Poochyena/Mightyena
    - Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
    - Sableye
    - Carvanha/Sharpedo
    - Cacnea/Cacturne
    - Mawile
    - Swablu/Altaria
    - Absol
    - Shuppet/Banette
    - Aron/Lairon/Aggron
    - Drifloon/Drifblim
    - Stunky/Skuntank
    - Bronzor/Bronzong
    - Spiritomb
    - Riolu/Lucario (this one would probably be a must just because of its popularity​

The problem with making an ideal dex is that the region in question must have certain areas where it makes sense to find these Pokémon. For example, Kanto lacks a desert area, so Pokémon such as the Trapinch line and Cacnea line won't be able to appear in the new dex. It's a key detail I've noticed when looking at each region and their dex.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    No Gen V or Gen VI additions?

Those would be postgame. As "foreign" as the Gen 3-4 Pokémon are, the Gen 5 and 6 ones are even more so, IMO.

I wouldn't mind Celadon being redesigned but I'll also like to see Saffron City be turned into a large Lumiose like Metropolis or larger so that it'll actually look more like the Tokyo it's based off of.

I'd like to see all of Kanto redesigned, to be frank. The 3DS can do a lot more than a GB/C, GBA, and even, DS can do, so I'd like to see it (as well as Johto and Sevii) fleshed out a lot more, visually. Pallet Town, for example, could look more like its anime counterpart.

The problem with making an ideal dex is that the region in question must have certain areas where it makes sense to find these Pokémon. For example, Kanto lacks a desert area, so Pokémon such as the Trapinch line and Cacnea line won't be able to appear in the new dex. It's a key detail I've noticed when looking at each region and their dex.

You can always put them in the Safari Zone (which could be redesigned to have a special "desert" area).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • But, again, what would it be a sequel to? Neither FRLG or HGSS exist on the current timeline.
    Maybe not so much a direct sequel but more just a story set after the general events of TR in Kanto and Johto in the games already out (as none of those games would now be in the same universe as one with mega evolutions which won't just get removed now, they could always pretend there was a version of those events in the world of mega evolutions).
    Not sold on that. While it would be an allusion, they haven't yet made it freely available without breeding for it so I'd be surprised if that changed in any future games, nor have they used the anime elements since Yellow to that extent. Most that has happened are event Pokemon given out in Japan reflecting Pokemon from the anime or movies. (That and I'd prefer Thunder on my Pikachu, and wouldn't want Volt Tackle to just replace it. =p Each to their own though.)

As for your Surfing Pikachu example, I'd argue that it's still not the same level as making all Pikachu - or even just your starter one - able to learn Surf or Fly via HM. In that case, you had to buy a spinoff title, and complete challenges in it to boot. That's rather different levels of availability for the move imo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Maybe not so much a direct sequel but more just a story set after the general events of TR in Kanto and Johto in the games already out (as none of those games would now be in the same universe as one with mega evolutions which won't just get removed now, they could always pretend there was a version of those events in the world of mega evolutions).

So, a brand new game with a brand new cast of characters that doesn't reference anything from Gen 1 or Gen 2 that just happens to be set in Kanto and Johto? ...Yeah, no thanks. If I wanted to play a brand new game, I'd just go get XY.

And, no, you can't pretend there's Omega Reality versions of Gens 1 and 2, because those games don't exist, and you can't make a sequel to something that doesn't exist.

And, yes, Origins is a version of the Gen 1 story that has Megas, but there are several problems with that: A) it's an anime, not a game, B) it's not game canon (however accurate it is), and C) it doesn't cover Gen 2 or even, the Sevii Islands (which deserve to be acknowledged again and fully fleshed out, IMO).

Not sold on that. While it would be an allusion, they haven't yet made it freely available without breeding for it so I'd be surprised if that changed in any future games, nor have they used the anime elements since Yellow to that extent. Most that has happened are event Pokemon given out in Japan reflecting Pokemon from the anime or movies. (That and I'd prefer Thunder on my Pikachu, and wouldn't want Volt Tackle to just replace it. =p Each to their own though.)

It wouldn't be the first time that an egg move has become a level-up move (see Crunch on Totodile), and it's not like it would be something that every single Pikachu in every single game would be able to learn--It would be limited to the non-evolving starter Pikachu in New!Yellow.

(And, BTW, Thunder has been a TM in every Generation, so it's not like it would be gone for good. Personally, I prefer Thunderbolt to either; better accuracy and no recoil.)

As for your Surfing Pikachu example, I'd argue that it's still not the same level as making all Pikachu - or even just your starter one - able to learn Surf or Fly via HM. In that case, you had to buy a spinoff title, and complete challenges in it to boot. That's rather different levels of availability for the move imo.

No, it's not the same, but it's still a HECK of a lot more accessible than a one time only event that's restricted to a few countries and can't be traded over to any other games. (Frankly, I'd like to kill these kinds of events for good, regardless of whether or not they seem "special.")

Years
  • That's true, they could simply make RGBCSC/FrLgHgSs into lore, but something about that is unappealing. I wouldn't mind a game that takes place in a region north of Kanto and Johto with access to one or the other later on. I guess they could also not make them connected and have someone travel them from afar. Maybe it could take place before the alternate events of Red/Leaf's adventure. Perhaps it could show a player who knows young Lysander, Cynthia, and Sycamore, Cynthia is said in DPP to have had a dex when she was younger so Red may not have been the first dex holder...

Back