• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hey Famon, you are 50% right. She is pretty shy and needs courage and confidence so that she can talk to ash about her feelings and get closer to him but really is it so easy in real life? Man they are just trying to make us think that it is a true world and they have succeeded in that everything feels real her emotions, her habits everything. I would even like if she discloses her feelings fast and they get closer but she will take time for that it's her personality nothing else. She is on the shyer side, and that is also because she loves him from so many years but never met from so long so it would take time.

Pokemon is a Kids Anime , Not reality ! If Reality is important then writer should make Ash , Serena & Clemont to act like real 10 year old Kids rather then Mini-adult.

Its not that Serena Current personality can't work ! But She need Ash for her successful Characterization.
    If Ash acted like a Super Smart & Strong Protagonist that kept his Immaturity like Alder then Serena's character could have work .

For example , Mio , (K-on ) , Lillth (trinity Seven) and Kurousgi (Mondaiji) are also very shy , timid and Passive character .
    And You can actually put Serena on them.
    But they were better character because of their behavior toward Ritsu (K-on) , Arata (Trinity Seven) and Izayoi (Mondaiji)

Same Way , If Ash constantly tease Serena and mess with her to make her angry & embarrassed that she has a Outburst toward him then her character will get funnier and better.
    But Ash is Such Good Manner Gentle good Boy ! He can't even tease a fly .
    It make me Puke.

For Kid Anime , The Best Character are the Funny character.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    For Kid Anime , The Best Character are the Funny character.

That doesn't make any sense.

So your idea of funny in Pokemon is some corny over-the-top goofy cornball who makes funny faces at children, or some girl who acts like a disturbed ape/rogue alley-cat?

Or would you at least be interested in Blockhead Clefairy (straight out of the Pocket Monsters manga). If there absolutely has to be comedy in Pokemon, let there be some random WTF humor (the same brand of comedy from Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) with minimal pop-culture references.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    That doesn't make any sense.

So your idea of funny in Pokemon is some corny over-the-top goofy cornball who makes funny faces at children, or some girl who acts like a disturbed ape/rogue alley-cat?

Or would you at least be interested in Blockhead Clefairy (straight out of the Pocket Monsters manga). If there absolutely has to be comedy in Pokemon, let there be some random WTF humor (the same brand of comedy from Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo) with minimal pop-culture references.

BW Series tried that and turn Pokemon Anime into a nightmare.
    BW Series also prove that making Random Funny face without proper Script and Comic Timing is just annoying.
    To me , My Idea of Funny come from Original Series where everyone wasn't as Goody Goody as they are right now .
    And because of this , Original Series stood over other Series.
    Currently , It seem all character such as Serena , Clemont , Shauna , Tirno and Trevor are force to treat each other Kindly & Politely to Show How Good Friend they are .
    Original didn't show this type of Makeshift Friendship.
    They shown Real friendship where friend Support and Help each other But they can also mock/Tease each other and fight over silly thing .
    It didn't even took 40 episode for Brock to start hitting Ash like this--
    I108.jpg
    I87.jpg

That why The Original Trio were So Fun ! The XY Group doesn't come close it.
    Your So Call Nice & Polite Shoujo Heroin Type Serena will only work on Mature Shoujo Anime . Not in Kids Anime like Pokemon .
    Just Because You Think Misty was Bad Character because she hit and Shout at Ash Doesn't mean Majority of Fans think that Same .
    Because Practically Everyone believe Misty & Brock to be the Best Traveling Companion.

XY Series reaching 50 episode Yet Serena & Clemont are so Formal & Blend that it make me Puke!
    Serena would be so much Interesting If She was one of those Bishoujo that can be both Polite and Violent .

Example : Ash is Falling from a building So Serena grad Tierno and throw him to where Ash about to Fall . Fortunately , It saved Ash's life while Tierno passed out .
    Then Serena come to cheek on Ash with a Random rival.

Serena : Ash , Are you Okay ?

Ash : Ya , I'm fine thank to Tierno.

Serena : It was so brave to him to come and Save You

Rival : Hold it , I clearly saw You throwing Tireno to........

(Serena shove a Pokepuff on his mouth)

Serena : Oh My , You shouldn't talk while eating Ha Ha Ha .

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    BW Series tried that and turn Pokemon Anime into a nightmare.
    BW Series also prove that making Random Funny face without proper Script and Comic Timing is just annoying.
    To me , My Idea of Funny come from Original Series where everyone wasn't as Goody Goody as they are right now .
    And because of this , Original Series stood over other Series.
    Currently , It seem all character such as Serena , Clemont , Shauna , Tirno and Trevor are force to treat each other Kindly & Politely to Show How Good Friend they are .
    Original didn't show this type of Makeshift Friendship.
    They shown Real friendship where friend Support and Help each other But they can also mock/Tease each other and fight over silly thing .
    It didn't even took 40 episode for Brock to start hitting Ash like this--
    I108.jpg
    I87.jpg

That why The Original Trio were So Fun ! The XY Group doesn't come close it.
    Your So Call Nice & Polite Shoujo Heroin Type Serena will only work on Mature Shoujo Anime . Not in Kids Anime like Pokemon .
    Just Because You Think Misty was Bad Character because she hit and Shout at Ash Doesn't mean Majority of Fans think that Same .
    Because Practically Everyone believe Misty & Brock to be the Best Traveling Companion.

XY Series reaching 50 episode Yet Serena & Clemont are so Formal & Blend that it make me Puke!
    Serena would be so much Interesting If She was one of those Bishoujo that can be both Polite and Violent .

Example : Ash is Falling from a building So Serena grad Tierno and throw him to where Ash about to Fall . Fortunately , It saved Ash's life while Tierno passed out .
    Then Serena come to cheek on Ash with a Random rival.

Serena : Ash , Are you Okay ?

Ash : Ya , I'm fine thank to Tierno.

Serena : It was so brave to him to come and Save You

Rival : Hold it , I clearly saw You throwing Tireno to........

(Serena shove a Pokepuff on his mouth)

Serena : Oh My , You shouldn't talk while eating Ha Ha Ha .

Go watch One Piece and pretend that Nami is Serena. Brock is a doctor now and Misty is never coming back. It was never about characters acting ugly. It's about showcasing different kinds of collectable pocket monsters and what Ash actually set out to do.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Go watch One Piece and pretend that Nami is Serena. Brock is a doctor now and Misty is never coming back. It was never about characters acting ugly. It's about showcasing different kinds of collectable pocket monsters and what Ash actually set out to do.

Actually, no, even during the Original Series, it was never about showcasing different kinds of Pokémon. It was all about the leagues and Gym Battles. Don't forget, they placed particular emphasis on collecting Gym Badges in order to get into the league, since at least the fifth episode.

Another thing, Famon wasn't saying that's literally all the characters did as being ugly, he was just explaining how humor was most effective. Besides, Misty and Brock, heck, even Jessie weren't nearly as bad as the Love Hina girls (and BTW, were we to talk about that series, I actually would agree with you about how horrible those girls are, especially when the stuff they did actually was borderline spousal abuse, especially when Keitaru Urashima very rarely actually deserves it since he usually stumbles upon them by accident or, heck, even when they stumble on him for a change.).

And FTR, never say never regarding Misty, even if that's what Hidaka said (remember, he also indicated in the same interview that he was completely unfamiliar about who Arceus is around the time the second DP movie was coming out).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019

Atleast Nami is 10 time more Popular then Serena ever be ! Not to mention One Piece is still as good as before .
    Unlike Pokemon that trying to be like ''Dragon Tales'' therefore ruining the show.

Pokemon Original series was also about introducing Pokemon as Well.
    But it become Popular Anime Because it had better humor , Well Written Character and Dynamic Character interaction .

Truth is , Serena is totally & Completely blend ! There nothing interesting about her except her Look and Crush on Ash.
    It won't change even if she get herself a goal.
    Misty & her Personality was the right choice for the traveling Companion that time ! Unfortunately Serena's personality is not right for the show.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Serena loves Ash and thats fine. we get that but why is she always drooling over Ash to show us her feelings ? I have no idea. And It also raises questions about her self respect and character as well.She really needs some goals other than always staring at Ash and begging for his attention.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Serena loves Ash and thats fine. we get that but why is she always drooling over Ash to show us her feelings ? I have no idea. And It also raises questions about her self respect and character as well.She really needs some goals other than always staring at Ash and begging for his attention.

Well, that's kind of an exaggeration, but is it really not ok for someone to have feelings for another person? I mean, even Misty has showed feelings for Ash in a way that crosses over the friendship border, but does that mean she is constantly drooling over Ash? Or does her simply having a goal completely justify what you find wrong with their feelings?

Serena's goal is not always staring at Ash, her goal is finding what she wants to do in life, or at least during the rest of her young life. It may be a short-term goal, but at least we get to learn more about her personality and how it's not one-dimensional and not completely geared toward one interest.

Years
  • Serena loves Ash and thats fine. we get that but why is she always drooling over Ash to show us her feelings ? I have no idea. And It also raises questions about her self respect and character as well.She really needs some goals other than always staring at Ash and begging for his attention.

I don't think that's the case at all! I mean, yes, the writers did play up her crush before she started thinking about a goal, probably because they didn't know what else to do with her... And that wasn't the best writing ever. But she has someone she really adores; that's an intense feeling for anyone. There's nothing wrong with being head-over-heels in love with someone.

It would've been boring if the writers hadn't done anything else with Serena, because that would've made her a one-note character. But I love it that they had her feeling bad for not having a goal, and trying to find one. That's so realistic, and something I and a lot of other people can relate to. Also, Ash is an inspiration for her; his example made her want to find her own dream.

And she's done a lot to support Ash, too. I don't mean just cheering for him, either. Like when he was having trouble in the Shalour gym battle, and she told him to just find his own rhythm. So it's not a one-sided relationship.

Eheh, to be honest, I'm not a fan of Amourshipping. I mean, I think it's a great ship with a lot of good points, but I'm too emotionally invested in Pokeshipping still to support it. Even so, I love Serena; I think she's a really great character.

Years
  • wow so Serena's goal is to find a goal.Thats really great.It never ceases to amaze me.

She's already decided to do Pokevision... Anyway, I relate a lot better to feelings of aimlessness. I mean, how many of us have clear, defined goals about what we want to do with our lives? You feel like you should have some sort of passion, but it takes time to develop, to figure out what you're really drawn to and enjoy. Even so, it's easy to feel inferior and lost if the people around you are already working toward their goals. It's refreshing and different to see that kind of character development in a show where most of the characters just automatically know.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Well, that's kind of an exaggeration, but is it really not ok for someone to have feelings for another person? I mean, even Misty has showed feelings for Ash in a way that crosses over the friendship border, but does that mean she is constantly drooling over Ash? Or does her simply having a goal completely justify what you find wrong with their feelings?

I think Serena's goal should come first just like all the previous characters like Ash Brock Misty and love should come second.
    Think about it if Serena had a goal and she joined ash to fulfill her dreams.Then things would have gone differently. In that way her feelings for Ash would have developed through her interactions with Ash.That is always the best way rather than "feelings first" way cause It is not "Forced". It comes with the growing of characters and interactions.It comes "naturally". Thats why I think she really needed a goal first instead of declaring the love for Ash.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    She's already decided to do Pokevision... Anyway, I relate a lot better to feelings of aimlessness. I mean, how many of us have clear, defined goals about what we want to do with our lives? You feel like you should have some sort of passion, but it takes time to develop, to figure out what you're really drawn to and enjoy. Even so, it's easy to feel inferior and lost if the people around you are already working toward their goals. It's refreshing and different to see that kind of character development in a show where most of the characters just automatically know.

Technically, we already had a character like that. Her name was May (don't forget, she initially and reluctantly went for Pokémon Gyms before she settled for Pokémon Contests).

And how can we be certain that she'll do Pokevision? For all we know, that might be a red herring just as Pokémon Gyms were a red herring for May's goal.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015

Well we will see what will happen to her
    but its about time she has some character development

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • May was undecided for thirteen episodes. And she happened to find the right thing for her- good for her! However, Serena didn't. Not for like, three times as long. And I like that. I like that she was actively trying to figure herself and her passions out- a lot of young adults can relate to that tbh. I like seeing her succeed in finding something she things she wants to do for real, and I don't even care if it's some sort of red herring. Because hey, people do that too! They try things and maybe do things for a long time before finding something better, or deciding it's not the best path for them! Brock did that already. It's a human thing. *shrug*

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Spoiler:

Yeah, and those 13 episodes May had before fighting Roxanne also had her training her Pokémon in the way of Gym Battling, even if reluctantly, and the direction was even pointing towards Gym Battling even while she was technically undecided, and yet lo and behold, she became a Coordinator instead. I'm probably being cynical right now, but I'd rather there be at least two, maybe three Pokevision contests without changes before I get any indication that's her true goal, just to make sure they don't pull a May on us.

I think Serena's goal should come first just like all the previous characters like Ash Brock Misty and love should come second.
    Think about it if Serena had a goal and she joined ash to fulfill her dreams.Then things would have gone differently. In that way her feelings for Ash would have developed through her interactions with Ash.That is always the best way rather than "feelings first" way cause It is not "Forced". It comes with the growing of characters and interactions.It comes "naturally". Thats why I think she really needed a goal first instead of declaring the love for Ash.

He does have a point there. If Serena's sole character bit was crushing on Ash, it really would make her character seem pointless, which was one of the biggest complaints about the character. She'd in effect be no different than the triplets from Disney's Beauty and the Beast (actually, no, even the triplets had a bit more characterization than simply being lovestruck tarts for Gaston, based on subtle things in their scenes), and at least the triplets were minor characters, not the star or co-star.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Yeah, and those 13 episodes May had before fighting Roxanne also had her training her Pokémon in the way of Gym Battling, even if reluctantly, and the direction was even pointing towards Gym Battling even while she was technically undecided, and yet lo and behold, she became a Coordinator instead. I'm probably being cynical right now, but I'd rather there be at least two, maybe three Pokevision contests without changes before I get any indication that's her true goal, just to make sure they don't pull a May on us.
    I don't think that it ever seemed like May was seriously going to challenge the league. She was clearly consistently uncomfortable with battling in that way and anyone who had played the games knew that there was another route- contests. Like seriously, the way it was written was absolutely set up to give May a different goal. I remember watching AG as a kid- not having played any Pokémon game beforehand, watching it from the beginning- and wondering not "when is she going to do gyms properly?", but "what's she going to do instead of gyms?"

And we've already had a few interests for Serena, plus a path she was really reluctant to take. PokéVision, PokéPuffs and Rhyhorn racing- the latter jives with May's reluctant battling. They ain't too into it, but they don't know any other path to take. So they do that for a while, but see- they both found something that really captured them. May got into contests right away after being introduced to them. Serena's taken a little detour, sure, but into things that are ultimately relevant to her key interests (fashion, performance, baking). She's been into fashion since episode one. She's been baking since episode 7. She started in with the performance with episode 21. Key points of TriPokalons: performance and fashion. Key point of every performance-oriented PokéGirl's development: making the regional Pokémon treat. I'll be absolutely astonished if she doesn't keep with TriPokalons.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think that it ever seemed like May was seriously going to challenge the league. She was clearly consistently uncomfortable with battling in that way and anyone who had played the games knew that there was another route- contests. Like seriously, the way it was written was absolutely set up to give May a different goal. I remember watching AG as a kid- not having played any Pokémon game beforehand, watching it from the beginning- and wondering not "when is she going to do gyms properly?", but "what's she going to do instead of gyms?"

I did the games, and I mostly skipped the contests. I probably only did one contest for the Secret Base things, and that didn't work out so well (couldn't even win one measly ribbon in one event) and gave that up as a result (and don't even attempt to ask me to get a Milotic. It's already bad enough that I tried to get an ornament and failed miserably, I will not try to humiliate myself again just to get a Milotic via Feebas, especially when Feebas itself is difficult to find as it is without evolving it, not to mention finding the right nature for it to evolve, meaning I'm likely to waste Pokeballs and resources just to get one with the right nature, a literal needle in a haystack or as literal as one can get.). And besides, I don't recall Contests actually being "another route." That would imply that you do those and get the ending all the same, when even in both Gen 3 and Gen 4, the only way to get the end credits is fighting in the league, and that can only be accomplished by doing Gym Battles.

And we've already had a few interests for Serena, plus a path she was really reluctant to take. PokéVision, PokéPuffs and Rhyhorn racing- the latter jives with May's reluctant battling. They ain't too into it, but they don't know any other path to take. So they do that for a while, but see- they both found something that really captured them. May got into contests right away after being introduced to them. Serena's taken a little detour, sure, but into things that are ultimately relevant to her key interests (fashion, performance, baking). She's been into fashion since episode one. She's been baking since episode 7. She started in with the performance with episode 21. Key points of TriPokalons: performance and fashion. Key point of every performance-oriented PokéGirl's development: making the regional Pokémon treat. I'll be absolutely astonished if she doesn't keep with TriPokalons.

And again, we'll see until late into the show if that actually is her goal. They have pulled a fast one on us before regarding Poke-girls, anyways, so it's best to play it by ear.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • No but my point was not that Contests were the obvious alternative route- they were just a feature in the games that could be construed as an alternate route for a character. My main point was that May was never written to enjoy gym battles and it was clear that she would not be following that path. We knew already from the previous anime seasons that there were many alternate professions in this universe and that it wasn't all "Pokémon Master" or "League Challenger". Previous companions had already embraced different career paths- they did start out as leaders, sure, but that ended up as Water Pokémon Master and Pokémon Breeder (eventually Doctor). So like, there was no reason to assume May would eventually come 'round to gym battles.

And it's the same with Serena. While she found out that there was some joy in Rhyhorn racing, she's still not passionate about it. She loves baking, but so much that competitions are her thing. PokéVision was fun, but she's not the best with the technicalities of filming and lighting and editing. She's into fashion and sewing, but has never pursued it with career intent. But now with TriPokalons, she's found something she is passionate about. And when characters find what they're actually passionate about, they go for it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    No but my point was not that Contests were the obvious alternative route- they were just a feature in the games that could be construed as an alternate route for a character. My main point was that May was never written to enjoy gym battles and it was clear that she would not be following that path. We knew already from the previous anime seasons that there were many alternate professions in this universe and that it wasn't all "Pokémon Master" or "League Challenger". Previous companions had already embraced different career paths- they did start out as leaders, sure, but that ended up as Water Pokémon Master and Pokémon Breeder (eventually Doctor). So like, there was no reason to assume May would eventually come 'round to gym battles.

And it's the same with Serena. While she found out that there was some joy in Rhyhorn racing, she's still not passionate about it. She loves baking, but so much that competitions are her thing. PokéVision was fun, but she's not the best with the technicalities of filming and lighting and editing. She's into fashion and sewing, but has never pursued it with career intent. But now with TriPokalons, she's found something she is passionate about. And when characters find what they're actually passionate about, they go for it.

You know , I don't think redesigning Serena would be a bad idea .
    I was watching the ORAS Anime Shot .
    And I notice Serena & May (ORAS) has similar personality yet May (ORAS) seem much much more cooler then Serena.
    The main difference Would be May(ORAS) not fawning over Brenden .
    So Does Serena canonized crush is what make Serena less cooler ?
    I don't know.
    However , I think Serena seem less cooler & Cutter then May (ORAS) because of her cloths, Specially that Hat . Serena look too much like a 30 year old woman then a 10 year old girl.
    So , May be it would be better if Serena change her outfit and hairstyle to look more like a 10 year old girl.
    Also , She should appear with her Original bang rather then that side-swept .

Back