• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Great Video Game Music Challenge! [Over!]

Bay

Years
  • Day 5 - A track you hate from a game you like

I thought a bit which track I didn't like, and I'll go with this one from Ace Attorney's second game. Case Three. Just...case three, bleh.

Day 6 - Franchise Challenge I: Final Fantasy

Confession, I never got the chance to play any of the Final Fantasy games despite playing similar ones like Bravely Default and Lost Odyssey (the latter game which Nobou Uematsu composed). I went with this one as long ago a friend of mine send me some of her favorite anime and game music and this was from one of her collections.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Day 6 - Franchise Challenge I: Final Fantasy

I've always held the very, very unpopular opinion that Final Fantasy VIII is one of the weaker titles in the series. I've always felt that the romance becomes really forced during disc 2 and goes full on crazy in disc 3. The game play becomes more tedious than fun, the card game that you can play on the side suddenly becomes more important than actual fighting. The transportation is incredibly slow and you have to really crawl your way through the globe. The game also has a problem with pacing the cut scenes and there's a lot of needless running around, i.e: the teleport feature at Balamb Garden only works at the start of the game. Rinoa also seems to force herself into situations where she doesn't need to be and the characters try to make the point that she's more important than every other single person in the game. Disc 3 is really where it goes completely out there though, suddenly Squall needs to abandon all his duty and carry Rinoa on his back and walk half way across the world. They go into space and there's this really calm scene when you need to catch her. The music here is absolutely great and it gives the sense that the two of them are truly alone and that they'll die in a matter of minutes. Then of course they go into the lost space ship and another questionable decision happens. You need to clear out the alien experiments, this is either really cool or just ruins the mood.

The point is that no matter how bad I thought Final Fantasy VIII is and how weird it gets during disc 2 and disc 3, there is a scene that I thought was perfect. The dialogue goes on auto-mode just to match perfectly with the music and it just seems like everyone talented at SquareSoft was put onto the team that made this scene and the rest of the game was done by their interns. I definitely think that there are many other Final Fantasy games that have a better soundtrack than Final Fantasy VIII but none of them were able to make a scene like this one.

P.S. This song is actually mentioned in-game during disc 2 and was written by Rinoa's mother for Laguna. It was apparently that it made her famous and I'm so glad we actually get to hear it in a game that has no voice acting.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 6 - Franchise Challenge I: Final Fantasy

Weirdly enough, Final Fantasy X-2 is the FF title that i've spent the most time on when it comes to doing everything, like getting that sweet smutty 100% completion. Anyway, FFX-2 is definitely a game that i consider one of the sillier games in the series but I liked it anyway. This very song, a 1000 words was something that got stuck to my head mainly since it was a rather mellow kind of song. It was a great break from all of the silliness that FF-X2 was and its songs like these that help cool some of that meth down.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Day 6 - Franshise Challenge I: Final Fantasy

When it comes to the songs from the Final Fantasy series, my number one favorite song originated in Final Fantasy V. The song I am referring to is Clash on the Big Bridge. Why is it a favorite song of mine? Well it happens to be the theme for battling Gilgamesh. Plus this song shows up in no less than fifteen games in the Final Fantasy series.

pkmin3033

Day 7 - A track from the last game you played

I'm feeling lazy this morning, so for today's challenge, share a track that features in the last game you played before posting here. For bonus points, give us some context - what sort of track is it? Do you like it? Where does it play? Share :3

Bay

Years
  • Day 8- Track from the last game you played

I mentioned playing Battle Trozei and still playing it. This track plays in Stages 8 and 9 (Stage 9 is where I'm at now). Don't have much thought on the track except it's been in my head for sometime now because of how many times I played those stages, haha. Reshiram, why your stage so hard. x_x

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Day 7 - A track from the last game you played

So I was trying to think of a song that I really liked from this game but I realised that since it's a crossover game, it has music from other series. So I decided to choose the one song that you're guaranteed to hear every time you turn on the game and that is original to the series.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years

Seeing as the last game I played was Saint's Row IV, I am going to have to choose a song from that. The song I am going to choose is The Warden Arrival Theme. This theme plays when an alien enemy known as the Warden shows up and you fight it. The Warden is like a mini boss for the game. Plus you have to beat 25 of them for an achievement/trophy and 30 of them for a challenge.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years

If there's one thing i love about the Doom modding community, is that they know how to unite when something as awesome as Brutal Doom is needing some extra tune ups in order to give it an even punchier and more impactful feel. So this is the E2M1 Theme reworked to be more in line with Brutal Doom's much more Metal as F**K gameplay.

Years
  • Lisia the Lazy procrastinates again. Time to play catch-up.

Day 3 - Scenery Challenge I
    Unfortunately, I can't seem to think of any decent castle themes that fit this image from game's I've played right now... So... generic fantasy game track go!
    Spoiler:

Day 4 - A track that fills you with dread
    Oh, what horrific way will this character be killed by a ghost child now?
    Spoiler:

Day 5 - A track you hate from a game you like
    Okay, so I love the game Okami, but the "voices" of characters in the game can take some getting used to, and I don't much care for songs sung in such voices. I'm sorry, child, but your voice is grating...
    Spoiler:

I pick a track from the Crisis Core OST! This one's a wonderfully orchestrated medley of themes.
    Spoiler:

The last game I played was... Touhou Rhythm Carnival! Scarlet. It's a cute fanmade Rhythm Heaven-esque Touhou game featuring themes and characters from The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. The video I'll share is the minigame with a remix of The Centennial Festival for Magical Girls. It had to be with footage from the game and not just the track because it feels almost incomplete without the sound effect of the marching Flandres. xD This minigame is kinda tricky, especially at first, since I had to learn what the phrases meant through trial and error... but it's one of my faves.
    Spoiler:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Ah, a VGM thread. Kinda lazy to go back and do all of them, but I'll at least do the last two.

I think FFV has my favorite OST in the FF series, and not just because of Battle on the Big Bridge either. Lot of tracks that always stayed with me even long after I've played it. This is the song that's been stuck in my head ever since.

Just about finished with SRW XO and it's been pretty fun. Even with certain annoying aspects, I think it's been my favorite 3D SRW game so far. Of course, the music is always up to par in these games, and it's no different with this one. This is the main character's theme once his/her mech is upgraded. :)

pkmin3033

Day 8 - A fan remix that you think sounds better than the original track

Fan remixes are a bit of a mixed bag sometimes. You can get lovely rendered piano versions of tracks recorded as they're being played by the individual responsible...and then you get nightcore remixes that make you want to stab out the eyes of the person responsible for them. So, for today's challenge, post up a remix of a track that you think is better than the original version, and share your thoughts about it. Bonus points if you post a remix you love of a track you absolutely hate, too!

Oh, by the way, tomorrow begins the challenge within the challenge! It'll last for two weeks. Then we'll go back to me asking random questions, aha.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 8 - A fan remix that you think sounds better than the original track

Duke's E1M1 theme, remade by Andrew Husult. Andrew really killed it really well for his amazing cover of the Hollywood Holocaust theme, which was nice and all, but the original track was kinda reptitive. This one simply made it more metal as Feck, and being more metal as feck = better in my twisted little view >:)

Also, ULTIMATE SUPER COMBO!

How about the Team Fortress 2 menu theme being remixed? Oh yeah, you like it? You like that sweet Demomanhancock playing over your ears VG? :))))

Bay

Years
  • Day 8 - A fan remix you think sounds better than the original track

So this remix came out years before the RSE remakes. While it's a bit slower compared to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's version, I really like the beginning and its own twist around the 3 minute mark. There's also some nice use of drums in certain parts too.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 8 - A fan remix you think sounds better than the original track

Honestly, I don't remember much about Lufia: The Legend Returns. Played some of it a ways back, but never finished it. Not saying that it's better than it's 8-bit counterpart, but it's definitely one of my favorite remixes and overall favorite overworld themes.

pkmin3033

Day 9 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 1] - Your Character Theme

It's time for a challenge within a challenge - your life as video game soundtrack! To kick things off, if you were a video game character, what theme would play every time you were speaking, or doing something interesting? For bonus points, tell us why you picked what you did, and anything else you feel is relevant - is there anything you do in your life that would definitely prompt this theme to start playing, or is it just something you like? Why does it suit you?

This will run for the week at least; kinda depends on how I phrase the questions, haha

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 9 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 1] - Your Character Theme

Let me share what i'm thinking: There are no winners or losers. Only those who are knee deep in the dead, or those who are already dead.

Spoiler:

Well i better quote everything since i can say so much about a song, from a video game, that's actually made by actual musicians, not just some in-house music crew.

Throughout my growth as a person and as a player of all sides (Casual, Solo queue, Competitive, and even borderline professional), i felt that every moment in my life was a battle. A struggle. A Kill or Die situation. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the fear of death, and the joy of telling myself "good job mother f*cker".

And to share something why i chose this piece of music to represent, i remember fighting depression. Its not just that feeling "blue or sad". Its something else. If you don't know what it feels like to fight depression, then good for you. Its not fun, nor is it funny. Its something that triggered me.

This is one of my favorite songs from Killing Floor 2's soundtrack and with Demon Hunter providing much of the songs, it really makes sense. Demon Hunter's "This I know" is a song about the wildness of man despite being conceived by the Father (Or whoever you choose to believe in, Not ultrasatan though). As man, and as "warriors" we are conceived in the fires of war. What war is that? It can be anything. It can be any kind of war we believe we are in. In Killing Floor 2's case, its war against some ZEDs. If its the Doomguy's case, its War against the demons from Mars.

In a shorter nutshell, this song is a battle cry. A War Cry. And everyday or every time i log into a game to start committing some bloody, ultraviolent supermurder as the Ruthless Bane of the Wicked World, this is how i feel. This I know. When I'm about to make a dance floor into a killing floor, this is what i listen to. Or if I feel like doing something more heroic such as climbing the multiplayer ladder, improving on my play, or even playing a game i haven't played yet and pushing myself from being a clown fiesta scrublord to a Challenger, it is what i listen to. This i know.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Day 9 - Your Life In Video Game Soundtrack [Part 1] - Your Character Theme

New Leaf has some pretty neat easy going music, and I think 9pm fits me best. 9pm is also perhaps when I'm most awake, haha.

Back