• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Starters

Who was your Unova starter?

• Total voters
Years
  • In the Unova region, we were given a choice between three starter Pokemon like what is traditional for every region in Pokemon and here's who we had on offer to become your partner across this epic land, to hopefully conquer the threats that were in your way...

snivy.gif
    tepig.gif
    oshawott.gif

The Grass-type snake Snivy...
    The Fire-type pig Tepig...
    And the Water-type otter Oshawott.

They each had their differences, but whose side were you on? Team Snivy, Team Tepig or Team Oshawott?​

Years
  • Tepig. I like it's design more than the other two, plus it's a Fire type. I did eventually realize that Samurott is better than Emboar, so I chose Oshawott when I went through White and White 2, but I almost always choose Tepig on Black, and I chose Tepig on Black 2. I never choose Snivy, as it's a Grass type, and I don't like Grass types, nor it's design.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've used all three of them. Snivy on my White, Oshawott on my first run of Black 2, and Tepig and my second run of Black 2 (which was also a Fire monotype run). Despite Gen 5 being my favorite gen, this was actually my least favorite group of starters. None of them really clicked with me design-wise. Movepools are kinda not so great either. BUT GAME FREAK WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU GONNA RELEASE CONTRARY FOR THE SNIVY LINE?!

And then strangely my favorite group of starters are the Gen 3 ones, despite Ruby/Sapphire not being ones I liked that much.

Years
  • Well it wouldn't surprise me if Snivy is the one i've used the most in normal playthroughs of the games. Tepig is another one i've used often, including in my first play of White, before I erased the save. Oshawott is probably the one i've chosen the least, but it was my starter in my main White 2 game that I have a lot of stuff on.

That said, Tepig's evolution line is one I tend to really feel sorry for. ;_;

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In Pokémon Black, I wound up choosing Tepig. For some reason, I always tend to rely on fire-type starter when it comes to going-through Pokémon games for the first time, and same was applied here. Though, I wasn't precisely fond of its evolutions, per se. In terms of design, they did look okay, but for me, not too much; its final form, Emboar, was a little too extreme. If it were more simple, I feel I would've liked it better.

White, I chose Snivy. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to successfully complete this game; stopped after second gym, and haven't picked it back up ever since. Due to this, I wasn't able to fully evolve this Pokémon. As far Serperior is concerned, however, I am a huge fan! Its appearance seems to complement it quite well, and its overall battling capabilities isn't too bad, either.

When I'd gotten my hands on Black 2, I wanted to go with something entirely new, so I picked Oshawott. Unlike above, I was able to successfully evolve this one into its final stage. Similarly to Emboar, though, I found its design to be sort of over-top; wish it had been more simple. Sometimes, simplicity is key, you know? As for battling and whatnot, it was all right.

Years
  • I'm so glad there's multiple options for this haha cause I used different starters for each of my Black and White 2 games :)

I used Snivy in Black and Samurott for White 2; I really liked both of their designs but I didn't stick with Samurott because of the larger Pokédex available in White 2. I really like snakes and otters which was why it was hard for me initially to decide on starters - thank god for the sequels though haha :)

Disolia

Friend of the Lurantis
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Aug 14, 2019
    Snivy was my choice for world conquest.
    Tepig was simply out of the question as I dislike his design and typing.
    Oshawott was a tempting choice, but I choose not to pick them for almost no reason.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I've used Tepig in Black, and Oshawott in White and Black 2. Both were rather tricky to use, especially Tepig, but I had a lot of fun using both.

I never used Snivy and I can't say I'm interested in using one. It has average stats, a poor typing and a meh design.

Nakala Pri

The first time I played Pokemon Black, I went for a Oshawott, because every time I played a Pokemon game, my brother would always tell me to go for a Water type. :P And he was really cute, so I couldn't resist. xD

On my second file, I chose a Tepig, because he was adorable, a Fire type (LOVE!!) and Snivy didn't really appeal to me.

Since then I've been going with Tepig. :P

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I used three of them, at first I choose either Tepig and Snivy when I was playing Pokémon Black in 2 runs (I restarted at some point), and begin choosing Oshawott in White, and Black 2, because it's cute looking, and it become one of my aces in the team.

It's funny that after several tries, I winded up with Team Oshawott right now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Oshawott mainly because it's one of the cutest Pokemon out there. I usually favor the Water Pokemon Starters exept in Gen 2. I found it's exolution line to be a very original and awesome looking Pokemon. My ssecond choice would be Snivy. It's such an elegant looking Pokemon. Especially it's final evolution which is one of my favorite Pokemon designs.

Years
  • I'm sure everyone knows who my obvious go-to Unova starter is. It's Oshawott.

I fell in love with the little guy after seeing its cute face in the anime, and it's a fairly useful Pokemon throughout the game with balanced stats all around and how it evolves from a cutie into a badass samurai otter, and who doesn't love how they use their shells (called "scalchops") as weapons? That is what you call awesome.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2016
    Oshawott for pokemon white cos I like water types,pokemon black I chose Snivy cos I liked the design and in b/w 2 I picked tepig as I hadnt used it yet

Years
  • Tepig. I love fire type starters. Fire's not even my favourite type, but I love the starters. It's bascially that thought that made me choose Tepig, and I loved him.

Even though he's not good at anything. Which he's not.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I actually am not a huge fan of this batch of starters. While I'd say I dislike Sinnoh's more, these are not far behind. That being said, the times I kept my starter, it was usually Oshawott, which is different for me because I'm normally always picking the Fire starter. I've gone through the games with each of them though and...meh. None of them impressed me.

I did pick Oshawott my first time playing White and Black 2 though, so for the sake of the poll, I choose you, Oshawott! (Truth be told, it's my favorite out of the batch and I have a HUGE plushie one named Neeko.)

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I've actually recently begun a new file on my Black version as I'd had a finished one sitting on it for a year or so with a theme I am no longer into.

That first play through I'd chosen Oshawatt, this time around although I once said I'd never do it for a cliche secondary type and unattractive evolved forms, I chose Tepig. So that's where my vote went. His name is Demon, he is now a level 22 Pignite and I love him. Not a single regret.

Last edited:

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I prefer Tepig, then Oshawott, then Snivy.

Tepig is pretty cute and powerful, and once he evolves he becomes a cool mega pig. Emboar is probably the best out of the three due to his insane offensive pressure (even on the special side!), good movepool which includes moves such as Wild Charge, Superpower, HP Grass, Sucker Punch, SCALD and of course Flare Blitz, and decent bulk. Definitely the best of the three competitively due to him being a great Choice Band abuser in RU.

Oshawott... I hate his design. He looks lazy and ugly. That said, Oshawott is useful if you're newer to this game, since he can learn Surf, Waterfall and Strength, and when he evolves into Samurott, he becomes a decent Swords Dance abuser or a powerful special attacker.

As for Snivy, I'm dissappointed her hidden ability wasn't released. She would really love to abuse Specs Leaf Storm like a maniac. Otherwise, you need to rely on Coil to attempt a Serperior sweep, which means she's quite vulnerable on the special side, especially against N and Ghetsis.

Back