• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Starters

Who was your Unova starter?

• Total voters

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
  • I generally consider myself a Grass-type purist (when it comes to starters, anyway), but for some odd reason, Generation V was the exception. It's just that Snivy gave off a much different vibe than the other Grass starters, and Tepig gave off an equal but opposite vibe that distinguished it from the your average Fire starter.

Because of those weird vibes, I ended up picking Tepig as my starter, and the Tepig line eventually grew on me. (For the record, I normally would NEVER pick a Fire-type starter, so that makes Unova a huge oddball in my book.)

Years
  • I chose Snivy on my first playthrough. I love that little guy, and his evolutions are awesome and well designed. I am not a big fan of the other two or their evolutions tbh, but I used them all at least once before.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Wow, I didn't expect the votes to be this close! Oshawott is the one I chose. I wasn't a fan of Emboar's design and thought it was wasted potential. I was pretty neutral about Snivy but there were other Grass-types (Lilligant and Whimsicott) that I wanted to use. I think Oshawott is really adorable (although it has a bit of an odd design I guess) and although I would've loved Samurott to be bipedal, I think it still has a pretty cool design.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I had used all 3 at some point since I had both games. But the starter I used the most was Tepig. It just seemed to be the strongest of the 3 imo. Plus, it looked pretty awesome. I love how it looks. I have a soft spot for pigs and since Tepig is a pig, I loved it. :3

Look wise, I also liked Snivy. It was super cute and green. :3 But sadly it had a horrible movepool so I never got around to using it much. Oshawott was also pretty cute. I did use it a bit more than Snivy. But I'm not to fond of water types so I only used it through a few gyms.

The Amazing Justin

The Original Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    I love Oshawott, but when given the choice of the three, I would probably be more inclined to pick Snivy or Tepig. I usually always go with grass types (For the first three generations, Chimchar breaking that cycle) and only pick one of the two other types after I get the Grass type.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • When the BW anime first came Out I fell I love with Oshawott, and always planned to buy Black Version and choose him. Took until this summer, I bought White simply because it was cheaper and I was low on allowance money, but by then all three had grown on me. I still picked Oshawott thought, got a female starter. :3
    When I got Whitw Two for my birthday I couldn't pick between Snivy and Tepig, equally loving both, but my cousin gave me a Snivy figure for my birthday as well and I chose that one. Yup, left poor Tepig out. So I chose her for my Gates to Inifity character. XD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • That cute sea-otter was always my choice, and it was the first starter that I didn't ditched in the PC box (prior to Unova, I always left the starter in the box) - I just couldn't resist his cuteness, at the time of the 5th Gen, Dewott was my 4th Favorite Pokemon.

Years
  • I went with Snivy; the aesthetics sold me on one.
    But realistically, I was only choosing between Snivy and Oshawott. By the time the Unova games rolled out I'd gotten *so* sick of firefighters.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I didn't like any of them. These were the weakest starters in my opinion. I stuck with Tepig just because Emboar was the most viable pokemon for battling out of the 3.
    Have a fast tank didn't make much sense so Serperior was out. Samurott was pretty balanced but lacked a decent movepool. Emboar was beefy and powerful but incredibly slow but that didn't bother me because it had a great movepool.

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • I chose Tepig.....why you asking!? I always choose Fire Type Pokemon since the 1st Gen which Charmander as my first starter pokemon........I know fire type are weak against water/ground Type but It depends on the player on how to handle his/her Fire Type pokemon from the battle..........Anyways Fire Type Pokemon Forever.......:pink_wink:

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    I chose all three over all 4 versions, but I have always gone back to snivy, since that was my first starter in the Unova region

Years
  • When I first began my first journey on the original Red, my choice was Charmander. (This was before I learned that picking Charmander was pretty much going with Hard Mode.) Since that time, I've compulsively chosen the Fire type starter in every new generation I've played. I chose Tepig, even though I thought its design was incredibly stupid.

I still think its design is incredibly stupid. But then, I'm not really a fan of any of their designs.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Oshawott, Snivy > Tepig for me.

That doesn't mean I hate Tepig though. I just prefer Oshawott because of its type, while Snivy for her regal appearance.

GengyGengar

Sp00py
    Years
  • My first ever starter in Pokemon Black was Oshawott, because it was so adorable and I really love Water types. Then it evolved into Dewott, which was a great mix of cute and cool, and then Samurott is just the almighty overlord of badass-ery.

Sirfetch’d

Snivy for me! I just find the design of Serperior to be really amazing and nearly unmatched when compared to the others. Granted it is really hard to use.

Back