• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Reading about it, Reference.com kernel and OS are essentially synonymous. So that's kinda the end of that train. The way I see it, Linux is an operating system (since it alone satisfies that definition) and a "distro" is that operating system with a collection of software for it packaged alongside. If you put it in terms of Windows, Microsoft simply forces shipping and running those two things together while Linux takes a more modular UNIX-like approach by separating the two. Linux retains its ability to forego the need for the software a distro provides, too.

An OS is the kernel plus the several layers that use it — e.g. apps, background processes, etc.

It still utilizes the Linux kernel regardless. So, it is Linux. Granted Linux with a big closed-source crap taken on it, but still Linux.

Sure.

What other system has as significant a presence using those philosophies than Linux, then? I find Linux to be the only relevant one that follows the Unix philosophy.

OS X is Unix-based.

That's what out-of-the-box Linux distros are meant for. They're something your average tech-literate person (i.e. can do a Google search and has basic problem-solving skills) can work through.

My main point is, Linux and most any distro are undoubtedly more efficient than Windows. XP comes close but is ancient so doesn't really count. The whole thing about Microsoft's market share amounts to the fact that they snagged de facto status for all the companies and big whigs who know nothing about computers and got a foothold in, because the only reason anyone needs Windows at the moment is for software compatibility. Besides that there is support, but even Linux distros provide that – see RHEL. If Microsoft didn't get that foothold they'd be good as gone for average Joe, and who knows what would've taken their place? My guess is OS X and Linux personally. It's more than likely Linux would have a larger userbase because for everything except X video game and Y old piece of legacy junk program, they don't need Windows and would probably switch simply for hearing that it "works better." Which it does in most ways. And if that happened Linux would get the de facto "market share" Windows has simply by virtue of Windows not being there, and so on and so forth. I don't think consumers really care too much if a business backs an operating system or if a mission in the name of free software does and no person is in charge. Only enterprises care about having an authority that answers to them when something doesn't work right, and even then the approach Red Hat takes to providing just that is also a thing. And if they do – say you're right and every OS with market share needs an owner of some kind – there is the hypothetical OS X. Which I imagine would be a lot more lenient towards developers working between it and Linux than Windows is, judging from how much more similar the two are in reality compared to either one and Windows.

But all that never happened. Point of that is, Windows is just here now and there's not a whole lot we can do about it. It's jammed the door open for itself, so to speak. Which kind of sucks because it's not the most efficient or modular thing ever, and is largely a one-size-fits-all shoe figuratively speaking.

Yeah I see your point. Linux might be more lightweight now, but that's because of the direction it's taken, and I think we both agree on that. The reason why I yammer on so much about large companies is because they have the resources to keep something marketable. Windows isn't just the most popular OS right now just because it's been that way for years; you can't ignore their other efforts. Microsoft prioritises feature development over modularity or binary size, and that's also what's kept them afloat.

And with that, I think we've managed to completely derail this thread... yay! :p

Years
  • Is anybody still running a Windows 7 install? Could y'all verify if checking for updates is just downright not working (as in, hanging), or is it just me? My netbook still won't download any available updates and it's just a clean install from a Windows 7 Home Premium disc.

Years
  • Well, I installed Windows 10 onto the netbook now although it's probably not faring well with the atom processor :P

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, I installed Windows 10 onto the netbook now although it's probably not faring well with the atom processor :P

Just give it some time while it does things. Run a few updates or something. Once it's done everything it needs to do, try taking it out for a spin.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    So I compiled Linux a couple times, for the first time. It was a lot of fun getting to go through all of those optimization and support options :D
    I installed Gentoo a couple times in a VM, but I've never actually used it. Just like my Arch Linux system too much. The only downside is that I haven't managed to get NVIDIA Optimus working on it, ever since my Bumblebee setup broke a couple years ago.

Years
  • My crap tablet has an Intel Atom and it's taking Windows 10 fairly decently. It does lock up from time to time when web browsing, but it's mostly because Chrome is a memory whore. Edge actually runs better on it.
    Browsing on Edge is actually a bit laggy for me.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • My crap tablet has an Intel Atom and it's taking Windows 10 fairly decently. It does lock up from time to time when web browsing, but it's mostly because Chrome is a memory whore. Edge actually runs better on it.
    k0L9ps4.png

The worse part is that has to be on Windows (as my numbers are not that high on GNU/Linux), and is probably counting the system. I just watched my RAM metre drop from closing 47 tabs (a heavy coding session) in Firefox down a mere 300MiB in Linux, so the numbers for FF make sense to me when skewed for OS bloat. Take what you will of that – MS is likely taking advantage of parts of their system in a way that no one else would know how or care to do. It's their OS, after all.

Then again, trading RAM for speed kind of makes sense. It's what Chrome does, Edge just took it a step further. The more you store in memory the (theoretically) less you have to compute. Nothing too special other than holding a niche really.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2016
    This is a question you probably don't get often but since my problem originated on the Pokecommunity forums I'd thought I'd ask it here;

Does anyone know how to successfully download things from Mediafire? Every time I hit the download button the page refreshes. I've tried deleting my Mediafire cookies but it hasn't worked.

I apologize in advance if this question isn't appropriate for this thread, but I have no where else to turn.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    The worse part is that has to be on Windows (as my numbers are not that high on GNU/Linux), and is probably counting the system. I just watched my RAM metre drop from closing 47 tabs (a heavy coding session) in Firefox down a mere 300MiB in Linux, so the numbers for FF make sense to me when skewed for OS bloat.

Can confirm. Closing Firefox after a normal session (20+ tabs) only frees about 500mb of RAM on my system. I've never encountered an issue with RAM or slowing down due to Firefox unless it was some particularly Javascript intensive webapp, which is why I can never understand complaints about its supposed "bloat".

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Can confirm. Closing Firefox after a normal session (20+ tabs) only frees about 500mb of RAM on my system. I've never encountered an issue with RAM or slowing down due to Firefox unless it was some particularly Javascript intensive webapp, which is why I can never understand complaints about its supposed "bloat".

Mmm hmm. I also don't get about Firefox being "bloated" since it appears to be not that.

Though, not having working multi-process is both a good and bad thing. Good since RAM usage is lower, bad since anything that goes wrong will take everything else down with it.

Come to think about it, I think most apps will be smart and use less system memory if it finds itself in a low-memory situation. Usually.

Years
  • I bought a new mouse tonight (since my old one was giving in), and lo and behold...it has a blue laser to it! I didn't even realize they made mice with that color laser.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I bought a new mouse tonight (since my old one was giving in), and lo and behold...it has a blue laser to it! I didn't even realize they made mice with that color laser.
    Oh a laser! Cool!

True laser mice (such as mine here) are totally invisible. Neat blue optics though.

Now that a paying job is on the platter in addition to my volunteer job... I'm going to be buying a lot of things, mostly tech. Hopefully I won't get too bored out of my mind at work and the money'll be worth it enough, because... computer builds!

I had the initial thought to just straight up buy my Skylake build before Christmas, but then I decided that'd be really spoiling... so I may put together the old build I originally wanted with the Core i3-4370 and 750 Ti. I also had the side thought of maxing out the hardware in Tyre here (my C2Q slim tower) with a GT 740, 530 Series SSD, USB 3 card, and possibly even a Blu-Ray drive... not that I'd ever use it, but it does add a good amount of resale value plus it's destined to be our living room entertainment PC once I have a desktop besides it.

I have this really strange desire to collect an inventory of PC parts for no valid reason whatsoever. I tell myself it'd make startup for a business easier, but when the heck am I going to be doing that? Years from now at least.

Years
  • Don't be so sour, I didn't mean it like that. :P

Anyone here use Git or GitHub? I'm finally managing a real-deal project on there.
    Exhausting, week sorry. XD

I like github! I don't have an account there or any projects but the way that libraries are organized is very neat and the fact that they have an algorithm to compress libraries into a zip file is neat, too.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Exhausting, week sorry. XD

I like github! I don't have an account there or any projects but the way that libraries are organized is very neat and the fact that they have an algorithm to compress libraries into a zip file is neat, too.
    You should at least register there so you can fork stuff! It's always neat to be able to fool around with the source code for big-time software.

There's a few projects I'm working on. The biggest is Sapphire, a PokéScript editor, but besides that there's also vPatch (formerly Violet UPS) that's going to be a universal cross-platform ROM patcher, and Sevenstone, a cross-platform ROM picture data editor.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Mmm!

I'm now on my desktop now. Managed to squeeze in a GTX 970 (ASUS Strix GTX 970), 16 GB of overclocked RAM (Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3-1866 CL9), and a Z97 chipset motherboard (ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER -mostly for the other features and the aesthetics) to the original build. Quite a bit more expensive, but, hey, it's also really snappy.

Also, the 2 TB WD Black sure makes SSDs make no sense. Just saying.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I still have my desktop, but it's rarely used anymore since my laptop's specs are far more advanced than my PC, even my first laptop that I'm currently using is faster.

Btw, my dad has been considering for me to get a new PC someday that will be purposed for a video editing powerhouse, so I hope that I'm able to get one for months. I'm still not sure which processor should I go with, though, given the prices and performances...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Just got a GTX 960 4GB (Gigabyte G1 Gaming). I would've scraped the money for a GTX 970 but the power consumption seemed to be too much of a ask for my stock PSU and the reported issues with the VRAM seem concerning. Haven't installed it yet, waiting for pin adapters as the current GPU only uses one 6-pin, and my model of the 960 I own requires one 6-pin and one 8-pin.

CPU (i7 870) was also having some thermal problems (would reach 80c easily when playing modern games) so removed the cooler and cleaned it thoroughly. Now I get about 10-15c temperature difference. Might consider disabling hypertherading or outright replacing the cooler. Still better than building a new computer, the i7 870 is plenty fast.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back