• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I think I have an unhealthy obsession with computer cooling. Once I saw the Corsair H80i GT in action, I want one! Even though my computer does just fine right now, and nobody's overclocking the CPU anytime soon...

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I have to deal with an ambient temperature of around 30C, so a lot of times I just wing it with around 40C-50C idle temps.

It might have something to do with how I'm cooler-obsessed, since the place I'm in tends to be quite hot.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    An ambient temperature of 30C!? Dang that's warm. You'd definitely need cooling for that lol.

There's times that I've considered just running my iMac G3 all night to keep my room warm in the winter - running it for more than an hour starts to really make my room warm, and during the summer I need to keep the window open as to allow the air in my room to vent.

Mmm hmm...

Thinking of adding more fans to the system, and two fan splitters so I don't have to get a fan controller or lose automatic control. (Going to use identical fans per row.)

Years
  • Yeah I love my cooling pad. Was only $12 or so on Cyber Monday and it got great reviews, love this one. Only issue is my laptop can slide off of it sometimes but I find ways to keep it there one way or another. The laptop gets so much cooler when it's on that it almost surprises me. At times it feels ice cold and I dunno whether that's good or not..... :(

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I personally think that laptop being cool may mean a good thing most of the time, because for some, they're able to do several tasks that demands many GPU and CPU activity (like gaming or rendering videos) without having the risk of it being overheating most of the time.

And speaking of which, usually my cooling pad works pretty good at reducing heat most of the time, even though sometimes it's not enough when it comes to rendering videos that I have to provide extra fan in the back.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah I love my cooling pad. Was only $12 or so on Cyber Monday and it got great reviews, love this one. Only issue is my laptop can slide off of it sometimes but I find ways to keep it there one way or another. The laptop gets so much cooler when it's on that it almost surprises me. At times it feels ice cold and I dunno whether that's good or not..... :(

Cooling pads definitely help when the laptop itself doesn't have cooling issues by itself, and by that I mean blocked vents or a failing fan.

You can never be cold enough until it's out of spec. So long as you stay away from sub-zero temperatures, you should be fine...and most homes shouldn't have a problem with that.

I personally think that laptop being cool may mean a good thing most of the time, because for some, they're able to do several tasks that demands many GPU and CPU activity (like gaming or rendering videos) without having the risk of it being overheating most of the time.

And speaking of which, usually my cooling pad works pretty good at reducing heat most of the time, even though sometimes it's not enough when it comes to rendering videos that I have to provide extra fan in the back.

Bingo! Thermal throttling makes your performance tank.

I think I prefer desktops, though. They are much nicer in terms of cooling options.

Years
  • I need to replace my cooling pad. The USB cable that comes with it is worn out from constant use and I'm using my laptop like crazy these days since I don't have a desktop. :/

Years
  • Good to know, thanks Twiggy. ♥ I'm not very tech-savvy so I had no idea lol. Yeah.. I got my cooling pad originally to hopefully play games more but I still stick to minimal usage and turn the game off if the fan becomes too loud. Doesn't happen often (only for those more intensive 3D games) but bothers me when it does. ;(

Hope you can replace yours soon, Zach!

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I need to replace my cooling pad. The USB cable that comes with it is worn out from constant use and I'm using my laptop like crazy these days since I don't have a desktop. :/

Maybe when it breaks :)

(While you're at it, clean out your laptop's heat sinks.)

It's kind of amazing how much improvement you can get with a cheap 2.1 25W set of desktop speakers compared to a freebie USB speaker.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Personally I think cooling pads aren't that necessary if you can make sure that the laptop is working in tip-top shape when it comes to its fans, heat sinks, and vents. Having them be as unobstructed as possible is much better than any cooling pad.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Even then, it's difficult sometimes, I can run Dolphin, a Wii emulator, and even with a cooling pad it still runs at 60°C. Without, it'd probably be at 70 or even higher.

It probably isn't thermal throttling. ;)

Years
  • So far my laptop has done great with ventilation in the almost two years I've owned it. I have yet to hear its fans get loud compared to my last two laptops (both HP and Compaq, respectively), so I hope nothing's wrong yet. :P

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Cooling pads are mostly ineffective at actually cooling laptops - and in some cases can actually make them run hotter if they block fans/vents/etc.

Re: desktop CPU coolers - I actually upgraded to an H100i GTX a few weeks ago and it's made a noticeable difference from my old Hyper 212 Plus. Idle temps are only a couple degrees cooler, but load temps have dropped about 15-18 degrees. My CPU is overclocked as well, so the cooler the better.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Cooling pads are mostly ineffective at actually cooling laptops - and in some cases can actually make them run hotter if they block fans/vents/etc.

Re: desktop CPU coolers - I actually upgraded to an H100i GTX a few weeks ago and it's made a noticeable difference from my old Hyper 212 Plus. Idle temps are only a couple degrees cooler, but load temps have dropped about 15-18 degrees. My CPU is overclocked as well, so the cooler the better.

Probably should check how the cooling system works on the laptop before getting a cooling pad in the first place. If it doesn't have any vents on the bottom... :)

I want a H80i GT myself. :)

Morkula

Years
  • Probably should check how the cooling system works on the laptop before getting a cooling pad in the first place. If it doesn't have any vents on the bottom... :)

I want a H80i GT myself. :)
    I was planning on the H80i GT but the H100i was on sale for only $10 more, so I figured the extra performance was worth it. Either way though, it looks much nicer than having a giant metal heatsink on my motherboard.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I was planning on the H80i GT but the H100i was on sale for only $10 more, so I figured the extra performance was worth it. Either way though, it looks much nicer than having a giant metal heatsink on my motherboard.

Heh. For me, my case doesn't support the H100i GTX, so the H80i GT is as good as it gets. Though it does seem like it's just overkill for me...

Morkula

Years
  • Heh. For me, my case doesn't support the H100i GTX, so the H80i GT is as good as it gets. Though it does seem like it's just overkill for me...
    I actually upgraded my case too. :P
    Wanted to swap out my parents' case, so I just gave them my old one and got a new one for myself. Has a nice side window, better airflow, roomier, etc.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I actually upgraded my case too. :P
    Wanted to swap out my parents' case, so I just gave them my old one and got a new one for myself. Has a nice side window, better airflow, roomier, etc.

That sounds really nice. :D

Me, I think I want to get two more case fans for intake airflow. A pair of good 140mm fans would do wonders...

Yikes, there I am again, wanting things that I probably don't need anyway...

Running all case fans at 100% seems to be a sure-fire way to make sure the air is actually flowing, but the fans do make themselves obvious. At least the fans I'm using don't make an obnoxious sound at that rate...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back