• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Definitely, if you have an awesome infrastructure already that's probably better! It's definitely minimised the in house stuff, plus we were using Thunderbird a couple of years ago! Man this company grew quick! And 365 was a solution to a lot of our problems at the time, we had a complete overhaul of our email system. switched to a new hosting platform. started bulk imaging machines (thank God!) Now we're also doing support for over 90 stores from 2 main sites, :D

What email server were you running before Office365? In-house Exchange? or something else entirely?

As for us, we image our machines on a per machine basis still, as we have a lot of machines with specialized software as well as a lot of users who need their hands held when new versions of Windows are rolled out, though we do have one base image per machine type.

Speaking of monitor colour type, can you actually tune the laptop monitor colour to warmer? Because sometimes when looking at the white screen for long time quite stressing my eyes.

Check the manufacturer's graphics utility (or the Intel one, depending on the driver in use and how it's labeled) that is installed on your laptop. Sometimes those have options for it.

Years
  • It'd be interesting if laptop screens had built-in color settings, but then that'd probably just jack up the price unnecessarily on many devices since most, if not all GPU control panels allow for color adjustment.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Been thinking about current generation Intel processors and...

Well, i5s. Two Pentiums duct taped together and given Turbo Boost and most additional CPU features, or i7s without hyper-threading and less cache? Fun to think about it.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Well, this is why I hate myself. $400 to get my laptop up and wiped and reinstalled (Twice, loosing some files too) and it seems like the problem is probably just a bad fan, which was the case a few years ago, same laptop. I was going to do the 2nd wipe myself, but it would stay on (shut off randomly) or blue-screened before the backups were done. Now I need to buy one, and I'll probably choose to DIY it since shop labor is expensive. Though the fan placement on mine is all the way in, I think I have to take out even the mother board to get to it.

Years
  • Well, this is why I hate myself. $400 to get my laptop up and wiped and reinstalled (Twice, loosing some files too) and it seems like the problem is probably just a bad fan, which was the case a few years ago, same laptop. I was going to do the 2nd wipe myself, but it would stay on (shut off randomly) or blue-screened before the backups were done. Now I need to buy one, and I'll probably choose to DIY it since shop labor is expensive. Though the fan placement on mine is all the way in, I think I have to take out even the mother board to get to it.
    If it's costing you $400 (I assume USD) to get your laptop fixed, you're better off getting a brand new laptop with better specs at around that same price.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • If it's costing you $400 (I assume USD) to get your laptop fixed, you're better off getting a brand new laptop with better specs at around that same price.

Yeah, at that price, you can get a fairly decent desktop or a somewhat-usable low-end laptop. The thing about computers is that if it's old, it's more of a money sink than an investment because you have parts failing and you have to replace them or recover data and it gets expensive fast.

Not sure if thats possible Tsutarja, though it wasn't $400 in one sum, it was like $220 one time, $180 the other. There was also a $230 screen replacement years back, and forgot how much it cost to get my fan replaced also years back. Now if that was all in a single sum, a new laptop would defiantly be in the realm of possibility, but after paying it, not sure much. I do want a new one though, laptop. I mean a gaming / better desktop then I have now would be nice, but a laptops portability matters.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • So, I'm going to butt in with something that's been on my mind lately, and something I'm sure many have had to deal with before: terrible ISPs.

Specifically, my parents have had service from an awful company called Consolidated Communications since we moved into our current home. We had hoped to keep our previous ISP, but unfortunately, Consolidated has a monopoly on our entire area. We've tried to find others, but as we are a little bit in the country, that doesn't seem to be possible. There service has usually ranged from "bad" to "mediocre", though recently has become nearly unusable. This happened fairly recently, after I began doing regular YouTube uploads again, and I feel it is an upload speed issue (speed tests show Download speed of 16mbps but an upload speed of only 0.08mbps). Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Years
  • So, I'm going to butt in with something that's been on my mind lately, and something I'm sure many have had to deal with before: terrible ISPs.

Specifically, my parents have had service from a company called Consolidated Communications since we moved into our current home. We had hoped to keep our previous ISP, but unfortunately, Consolidated has a monopoly on our entire area. We've tried to find others, but as we are a little bit in the country, that doesn't seem to be possible. There service has usually ranged from "bad" to "somewhat acceptable", though recently has become nearly unusable. This happened fairly recently, after I began doing regular YouTube uploads again, and I feel it is an upload speed issue (speed tests show Download speed of 16mbps but an upload speed of only 0.08mbps). Thoughts?
    What type of internet service is your family getting to the house? DSL or cable/fiber?

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • We've been getting DSL from them.

In general, I'm at a point where I find it easier to, each time after I finish editing a few videos, just take my laptop over to my sister's house and just mooch off her service to upload them.

Years
  • Unfortunately, DSL is very unstable and not the fastest considering it's coming to be a fairly outdated technology(™). DSL service is delivered over copper lines directly and that in turn doesn't allow for the fastest of connectivity, whereas most broadband connections these days are powered by fiber optics.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So I've been thinking of making the backup motherboard do something more useful...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3240 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($51.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($27.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $221.93
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-26 11:34 EDT-0400

(Ignore the pricing information, as I don't live in the USA, but you can use it as a general guideline.)

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    I am utterly that the LGK10 isn't making a big splash in the midrange market. While the 410 is a bit dated, it's still a capable processor. Other then that the phone is a gem. Just got it yesterday and I am in love. The build quality is miles ahead of the plastic junk the Samsung J series is made of,maybe that's what it stands for, and UX is such a lightweight easy to use and look at UI. Camera is average, and I love the less saturated colors on the phones screen, nothing is neon and bright. I am an absolute fan of low saturation,so I cannot get the hate for this department. And again,the plastic chassis is phenomenal, such a sturdy phone.

Years
  • It really is hideous, hence why I rooted and put a ROM on my Samsung phone as soon as I could.
    Some Samsung devices are heavily locked down, though and cannot be rooted/loaded with a custom ROM. I know that the Galaxy 4 tablet I had for a few months (before passing it onto my father) didn't have any custom ROMs available for it, and the most I could do was get TWRP on it and have it rooted.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Speaking of roots, how the hell does one go about flashing the framework for Xposed on lollipop with TWRP? I read the instructions on XDA forums but I am stumped.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Just drop in to post some stuff so Zach won't miss me : ).

So, my dad recently want to buy a new Iphone SE to replace his Iphone 4 cuz it's very slow and kills battery. For me, Iphone SE would be a great idea for him but I wonder Apple company about old phones.

I mean, old phones like Iphone 4 and 4s still able to run smoothly on some apps but why they still do not support those old fellas? I wish they could just introduce ios that capable to run old device smoothly and continuing support for previous generations of Iphones.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Just drop in to post some stuff so Zach won't miss me : ).

So, my dad recently want to buy a new Iphone SE to replace his Iphone 4 cuz it's very slow and kills battery. For me, Iphone SE would be a great idea for him but I wonder Apple company about old phones.

I mean, old phones like Iphone 4 and 4s still able to run smoothly on some apps but why they still do not support those old fellas? I wish they could just introduce ios that capable to run old device smoothly and continuing support for previous generations of Iphones.

The current iPhones barely make it compared to Android phones spec wise, I barely have a clue how people still use the iPhone 4 or 4S. Sure the CPU has always been top of the line,even better then the Snapdragon Equivalents in some ways, but the extremely low amount of RAM Is definitely the thing holding them back. Hell my K10 has 1.5 gigs and I got the phone for 150 euros, at the price current gen iPhones are worth there should easily be 3 or 4 gigs of ram on board.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Well, you made a good point. Iphone does have a small RAM storage, but remember. Iphone is not a multitasking device, even it has switching apps feature but it just freeze the app and begin to operate other apps. So, the RAM storage is absolutely not affecting the performance.

This makes the phone able to efficiently use more RAM on single app rather than multitasking and also saves small battery life as well. It may multitasks, but only applies on notifications or downloading and installing apps which not affects the performance significantly.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So... When it comes to gaming settings decisions, what would you rather have? Screen tearing or input lag? As many of you might know the V-Sync feature forces the game to update screens at the display rate, (FPS) but sometimes add an input lag (Mouse jittering and keyboard input delay). I've been in some situations that this was inevitable, at least I couldn't fix it. I used to go play CoD 2 at a cyber cafe, in these cases I had to turn V-Sync off, otherwise I would've sucked at aiming :P But there are some cases where is ultimately up to preference (Single Player Games). I'm a performance freak, I would sacrifice the last pixel in the screen for a few FPSs more :P How about you?

If NVIDIA has their way, soon, we won't need to pick. No fancy hardware required, either - all you need is a semi-recent NVIDIA card if all the things go right. (Oddly as it sounds, it's not Pascal-specific.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back