• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated/Overrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Mudkip. That whole meme was just kind of annoying to me. Made me despise that evolution line. And secondly.... Piplup. He was made out I be something way cooler than he is and he just gets worse end-game.

As for underrated.... I'd say Golem. He was a powerhouse for my last play through, he had a solution to everything. Sure it was mostly magnitude or earthquake and self destruct when I desperate... But he got me out of some sticky situations[/SIZE]

jammi567

For underrated Pokemon, I think that Sandslash is at the top of the list (or at least my list). It just looks really badass without having to be big or intimitating to do so.

As well, there's also Arcanine. I don't see many teams use it, but it has really good moves and overall rounded stats.

In regards to overrated Pokemon, it has to be Dialga. Not only does the thing on the top of its head stupid, but it was also overused in the movies. At the cost of having Dialga and Palkia in the first D&P movie, Cresselia didn't get a single movie appearance - another underrated Pokemon.

Years
  • For overrated, I'm going to rant about Pikachu. Crap stats, yet the mascot of the entire franchise. My little sister, who only watches the anime, has repeatedly asked me "Why don't you have a Pikachu?" I hate how the anime treats Pikachu like a god. Other overrated ones are Arceus, Lucario, and Garchomp.

For underrated, all of you probably know where I'm going with this. I'm just going to point to my profile pic, and continue. Other underrated ones are Mismagius and Ampharos. The latter swept through half of the SoulSilver gym leaders for me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't really have one for UNDERrated.... but I gotta say, Arceus? Waaaay over done for me -_-" I'm so sick of hearing about that thing.

Overused =/= Overrated. Overrated means that something isn't as good as people say it is, and when Arceus has the highest stats of any Pokemon and can be any type and learns ridiculous moves I would argue that it's far from overrated.

An overrated Pokemon I would say is definitely Charizard. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more in this thread, it was the last time this one rolled around. As a kid, it's "Charizard is the best!" and "Charizard is so strong!" when it's not really that great at all. It's fine in-game, but just as much as other starters are. Then if you take it to competitive you get destroyed.

Trainer Evan

Loses lots, but keeps trying!
    Years
  • The fact that there ARE overused Pokemon depresses me. We have over 500 Pokemon. Why? Every team in Pokemon should be unique and special, not just Charizard, Lucario, and Tyranitar. That's kind of one of the points of Pokemon, customizing an effective unique team out of your favorite Pokemon no matter what the stats are.

One Pokemon I'm surprised isn;t used all the time is actually my new favorite. Porygon-Z. This Pokemon is a GOD and can mop the floor with OU, even though its in RU for no reason at all.

By competitive standards, my team sucks, but I use it anyway because of how much I love each monster. My team has changed since I made my sig, btw. It's now:

Porygon-Z
    Girafarig
    Kingler
    Typhlosion
    Flygon
    Mamoswine

Last edited:

tpf

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2023
    overrated: pikachu and charizard, pikachu just fails...charizard has a horrible typing and dies on the third switch into stealth rocks, assuming no other damage done, also being weak to a strong priority attack doesnt help it at all lol

underrated: lapras, i've swept many teams with dd+rest+hydration lapras in the rain, best gimmick ever!

ccs

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2012
    I would have to go with Reshiram with the most overrated. I honestly don't understand why people are so obsessed with it. It can easily be defeated with many different Pokemon and it even looks ugly. The worst part of it is that it's design is severely flawed because of the giant phallic like thing dangling between it's legs. Really Nintendo? I thought this was a family game. smh

As far as underrated goes, I find Golem to be one of the all time greats and a staple in my team. He has amazing defense and if you add the right attacks he can be unstoppable.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I feel like Metagross is far overrrated. It loos stupid to me, and I've never used one to great sucess.

:/

I beg to differ. I have used metagross several times, it is great! I have swept the whole unova league with a lvl 80. If you have a good moveset, it is a beast. Bullet punch has saved me many times lol. Also, when it comes to fire fighting types like infernape, zen hedbutt can do some mega damage.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • I can't be the only one that loves me some Ursaring around here.. Only one weakness, great attack, decent everything else mostly.

And hell, it's a GRIZZLY BEAR.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have an intense dislike of Dragonite mainly due to the fact that it was the most awesome-super-cool critter in Gen I. It takes ages to train and the end result is nothing really special, to be honest. There are plenty of other Dragon critters out there more powerful (Salamence) and with more interesting typings than Dragonite (Kingdra, Flygon, Garchomp) and yet Dragonite seems to be revered in many places. I just don't get it, to be honest!

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    The fact that there ARE overused Pokemon depresses me. We have over 500 Pokemon. Why? Every team in Pokemon should be unique and special, not just Charizard, Lucario, and Tyranitar. That's kind of one of the points of Pokemon, customizing an effective unique team out of your favorite Pokemon no matter what the stats are.

One Pokemon I'm surprised isn;t used all the time is actually my new favorite. Porygon-Z. This Pokemon is a GOD and can mop the floor with OU, even though its in RU for no reason at all.

By competitive standards, my team sucks, but I use it anyway because of how much I love each monster. My team has changed since I made my sig, btw. It's now:

Porygon-Z
    Girafarig
    Kingler
    Typhlosion
    Flygon
    Mamoswine
    Uhh well there is a reason why some Pokémon are overused. You say teams are supposed to be "unique" but with that will come that it sucks. They are unique cause noone uses them, and noone uses them for a reason yeah.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Scolipede is certainly underrated. I have used one and cannot see how it was deemed to be weak.

For overrated, Pikachu and Mienfao.

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I have an intense dislike of Dragonite mainly due to the fact that it was the most awesome-super-cool critter in Gen I. It takes ages to train and the end result is nothing really special, to be honest. There are plenty of other Dragon critters out there more powerful (Salamence) and with more interesting typings than Dragonite (Kingdra, Flygon, Garchomp) and yet Dragonite seems to be revered in many places. I just don't get it, to be honest!

I agree with this. I don't however intensely dislike Dragonite, as I tend to sometimes catch Dratini in FR/LG. I much prefer Salamence or Garchtomp.

There was a certain time that I caught Weedle for still unclear reasons, just to see what would Beedrill do upon maximum or high leveling. It actually produced great results in same-level battles, so I consider it a little underrated, at least in my standards. I wouldn't however catch it again, lol.

Also, Mightyena is a little underrated, no? I know a lot who keep saying how weak it is in terms of stats and moves, which is true to a limit. I used in once in my Ruby version, and it was splendid during high leveling (like at 55 and above). There are also Poliwrath who is too underrated.

As for overrated, I agree Lucario is a tad overrated. There are also Gengar, Alakazam, Dragonite, Pidgeot, etc..I can't think of more at the moment, lol.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Well idk, I myself looove Dragonite, for more reasons, like in the anime at Bill's lighthouse, I developed an adoration for him cause of Team Rocket shooting on him while he was just beginning to come out of his shell a little. Also I love his design, it just looks really playful and he is upbeat in general and I like that. Also he's just very good competitively cause he's variable and can be very bulky as well, especially with his new ability which is multiscale haha.

Years
  • For overrated, Pikachu and Mienfao.

Aren't you talking about the purple one, Mienshao? If you are, then I guess I have to agree with you. Although Mienshao is one of my faves, I personally prefer Mienfoo. Mienfoo looks like a cuddly teddy bear (IMO) while Mienshao's looks... heartless. I mean, look at Mienshao's face. It looks a bit dark and stony.

I think that Hitmonlee is also overrated IMO. He is my least fave out of the Hitmon's due to him being overused by players and his design. I mean seriously, Hitmonlee looks more like a walking lump of poop IMO. I would much prefer using Hitmonchan instead...

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2012
    Overrated:
    Charizard. I love Charizard, love his design. But there really are much better fire Pokemon out there.
    Ampharos. It's cute, and probably the best Electric type in SS/HG. I like using it because I like the way it looks. But it's just so slow.. I suppose it's pros outweigh it's cons, but I still think it is overrated because so many people I know worship it when really it is only a slightly above-average Pokemon because of it Special Attack.
    Lucario. Seeing a lot of this, just thought I'd add to it. Lucario is ugly and average in battle. It is not as great as some fans seem to think it is. I suppose I can say that it is functional, though.
    Umbreon. Probably the most popular Eeveelution. Sure, Umbreon is pretty, and it's stats are even decent. But it has a bad movepool, it can't learn much. Maybe in Gen 6 there will be some new moves that Umbreon can use. But for now, it's overrated.
    Eeveelutions In General. We can all depend on Eeveelutions when we are lacking a type in our team. They deliver functional stats, and rather cute appearances. But they are just way overrated, they aren't spectacular as some people may think. (I think Vaporeon and Jolteon are the exception, they are both very good Pokemon despite their popularity.)

Underrated:
    Raichu Overused by children, underrated by mature players. His stats aren't that great, especially in the defense area. But it can learn Magnet Rise (making it immune to it's only weakness) and it is usually fast enough to use it before the opponent can strike back. I'm really considering using a Raichu, it's a good Pokemon with a good Movepool and people need to know that it is at least a C+ rated Pokemon.
    Normal Types Normal types can generally learn moves of other types, which can be used to the trainer's advantage. They only have one weakness, which is easily overcome. I don't know why Normal types have been underrated for so long, but many Normal types, like Persian and Zangoose, kick butt!
    Meganium A well balanced, predictable (in a good way) grass type. I used it when I was little and I had Crystal. It's very sturdy, and just as powerful as other Grass starters. Only downside I can see is that it has a lot of weakness. But it has good Defense, so it balances out.

I can't be the only one that loves me some Ursaring around here.. Only one weakness, great attack, decent everything else mostly.

And hell, it's a GRIZZLY BEAR.

I think Ursaring is a great Pokemon, I love it when I see people using some good quality Normal types!

I just personally don't use it because it reminds me of my mother.. ^-^;

But yes, Ursaring is an underrated Pokemon that we need to see more of. :3

Last edited:

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

[/QUOTE]Meganium A well balanced, predictable (in a good way) grass type. I used it when I was little and I had Crystal. It's very sturdy, and just as powerful as other Grass starters. Only downside I can see is that it has a lot of weakness. But it has good Defense, so it balances out.[/QUOTE]

Now were talking! Go Meganium! :P

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I only play the metagame, so my choices are going to be a bit different from competitive players.

Overrated: Pretty much any starter, any Legendary, any of the ubers in general.

Underrated: I play the game with a different team every time, so I've come to really enjoy using random pokemon that people tend to steer clear of. Specifically: Dunsparce, Stantler, Girafarig, pretty much any never used pokemon.. Except for delibird. I HATE DELIBIRD.

Far Underrated: Luvdisc is a terrible pokemon, but it can be fun just to say that you beat the Elite four with just a Luvdisc.

oh... and I LOVE SHUCKLE

Popsicle

~Dancing Crazy~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2012
    How come Flareon doesn't get no love? It's the most underrated eeveelution! Everybody thinks Flareon is so good but when they figure out that it's a fire type physical attacker, people are like "OMG I love Vaporeon,Jolteon,Espeon,Umbreon,Leafeon and Glaceon. Flareon gets absolutely no love what so ever. I love the eeveelutions with my heart and I would call them overrated but I wouldn't say that because there is my favorite Pokemon,Flareon. I don't want start on overrated. I have 10 1000 page long rants on Pikachu.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back