• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What annoys you about hacks?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
  • Grammar errors and script errors. I also dislike the weird glitchy stuff that sometimes occurs when you do something. Or in other words the wrong flag settings.

I also hate some fakemon... They're kinda weird...

Arikisu

Coder
    Years
  • You wanna know what angers me the most?

Hackers that don't put any effort into the game.

I'm currently working my butt off for a hack called Pokemon Shadow Aura, and it just makes me so furious to see lazy hackers. I played the worst pokemon hack like, two minutes ago.

There was but one change to call it a hack: The hero sprite was changed.

It's like it just took them only 5 minutes to make it.

moudinho

Moudinho Of All Trades
    Years
  • I think that if a good hack has been stopped from production,the creator can decide to 'sell off' its rights to another hacker,that way,the new hacker can complete the game and we'll all be happy. ;D
    but too complicated a thing to do i guess.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    I think that if a good hack has been stopped from production,the creator can decide to 'sell off' its rights to another hacker,that way,the new hacker can complete the game and we'll all be happy. ;D
    but too complicated a thing to do i guess.
    The thing with that is what if the new hacker isn't as good as the former? What if the original owner had idea and features that were too advanced for the new hacker? Not to mention everyone takes creative liberties when creating something from a manual. It just wouldn't be the same as the original hacker had intended it to be.

moudinho

Moudinho Of All Trades
    Years
  • I get annoyed at almost anything,but usually its just that certain hack tools get spoilt or laggy,and thus ineffective work thus crappy maps.

TheZerox9

That's Right
    Years
  • fakemon, bad grammer, incomplete hacks, bad tiles, sprites, and the annoying 2 tile door on R/S/E that NO ONE FIXES!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, will no one hack emerald without a million glitches or it being a Gold Remake. I have yet to find a good emerald hack that wasn't crappy or was a gold remake. HG is out. Get over a gold remake! We don't need it!!

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    fakemon, bad grammer, incomplete hacks, bad tiles, sprites, and the annoying 2 tile door on R/S/E that NO ONE FIXES!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, will no one hack emerald without a million glitches or it being a Gold Remake. I have yet to find a good emerald hack that wasn't crappy or was a gold remake. HG is out. Get over a gold remake! We don't need it!!
    It's funny that bad "grammer" annoys you considering it's spelled grammar. Irony. And there's nothign to "fix" with the 2 tile door thing. That's the way the game was built,. And to "fix" it is fairly time consuming.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2011
    the everlasting Out-of-Body Experience, especially if u didn't save for 1hour

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2011
    The way every game and almost every tool revolves around GBA games. come on guys we're in 5th gen now but i haven't even seen a 4th gen hack. this is more aimed at the tool makers because i know that its impossible to make a hack without the tools so i'll just say: WHAT IS THE POINT IN MAKING YET ANOTHER GBA TOOL WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE A PERFECTLY GOOD SELECTION NOW. unless you are truly bringing something new to GBA hacking, move on. other 5th gen tools have been made, it's not impossible. sorry for this rant but i've grown attatched to 4th and 5th gen pokemon and, at this point, will not play a hack because they don't contain them.

noobtrainer123

some dude
    Years
  • 1/the WHITE SCREEN that i mostly get from fireRed hacks but only sometimes with ruby hacks.
    2/too many fireRed hacks.

the white screen problem really bugs me.cause i cant play fireRed hacks.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • Let's see... the fact that most hacks are incomplete. (Gosh. I'm so selfish. |D)

And the lack of 4th/5th gen hacks.

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
  • Well badly drawn Fakemon I love well drawn fakemon though. I also hate; bad grammar, tile mistake or tiles that don't fit within the city.
    Remakes that are not needed, A hack from older Pokemon games ( The GBA ones ).
    Hacks with barely any change from the original games, what's the point in hacking games without changing it very much..?

~Kian~

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    The way every game and almost every tool revolves around GBA games. come on guys we're in 5th gen now but i haven't even seen a 4th gen hack. this is more aimed at the tool makers because i know that its impossible to make a hack without the tools so i'll just say: WHAT IS THE POINT IN MAKING YET ANOTHER GBA TOOL WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE A PERFECTLY GOOD SELECTION NOW. unless you are truly bringing something new to GBA hacking, move on. other 5th gen tools have been made, it's not impossible. sorry for this rant but i've grown attatched to 4th and 5th gen pokemon and, at this point, will not play a hack because they don't contain them.

Let's see... the fact that most hacks are incomplete. (Gosh. I'm so selfish. |D)

And the lack of 4th/5th gen hacks.
    In response to these quotes I say this: Have either of you tried to make a 4th/5th gen hack? How far did you get with no map editor? I assume you could go at it by means of a Hex Editor [assume meaning I don't know if it's possible] but that would be incredibly time consuming and chances are you would give up before you finished half of the first map. So unless you've made major/innovative strides at hacking the 4th/5th Generation I don't see how you can logically add "no 4th/5th gen hacks" to your list of grievances.

On-topic:
    1. It annoys me to no end when hacks add 4th/5th gen buildings but don't have the door animations that go with it. In any event you could just reuse the pre-existing doors in the ROM. It's just ugly/tacky when I'm playing a hack and I just phase through the door like Casper with no animation or any of that.

2. This one is more aimed at the players more than the hack/hackers. I truly dislike when the players take for granted what Hackers do. This is more so about players who disregard all of the work that is put into the hack and want more. Sort of like a "that's it?" attitude. Those kind of players bother me.

~QM

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2012
    you shouldn't advertise asking people to make your hack lol

another thing I hate is when people from youtube make hack tutorials saying advanced text and advance starter and advance mart are all you need to make a hack and they just make prof oak say "ZoMG I liek do **** 2 Ur Gf LolloLLLolLlLOlO i Take drUUgZ" and when you say there's more to hacking than that, they say you can't hack any better, so you post a video of your hack, and they say everything is the same tiles and same sprites when they have been changed but there's haven't, and then you post another video of mapping and they say you can't even map and don't know how to even though you have a video of it.

Sounds like you're feeding the trolls. That's bad for your health, dude. :P

-I think first and foremost, I hate the lack of finished hacks. I understand it's difficult to make hacks, but I'd prefer people to finish the hack and THEN release it because nothing sucks more than waiting (sometimes indefinitely) for something you're super-excited about.

-I absolutely adore the Fakemon in Pokemon Crono (at least the sprites), but I have yet to see another hack do good fakemon, so this is usually a no.

-Bad grammar is inexcusable in this day and age. As is leetspeak and texting syndrome. "Ur goin on a grand adventure!" is not good dialogue.

-New types should not be added. They really aren't needed, and they don't feel right.

-I'm past Gym #2 in Rijon Adventures, and while it has good dialogue and good ideas (I love the buyable PP restoring berries), too many maps are copied from Red/Blue, even though it's not a remake. Feels a bit lazy and/or unoriginal.

-I'm perfectly fine with cursing as long as it's not used like a high-schooler or a rapper would use it (i.e. just cursing for cursing's sake). People use curse words. It is a fact. And if they are used organically, it could increase the immersion in the hack.

Years
  • NOTHING BOTHERS ME MORE THAN WHEN NOTHING IS CHANGED. HOW IS THAT EVEN A HACK?

*clears throat* Yeah, not a lot of stuff bother me about the hacks themselves, I only have around five things that bother me about actual games. But if it's in the hacking community in general, it goes up to around 20. Why are there 15 more things actually I think there are more but who cares than if it were only about the games? All I can say is the actual hackers. Put in a spoiler for the sake of the people who are too lazy to read. Open if you're okay with a wall of text...
    Spoiler:
    Write it on the back of your hand that if you can't give/take criticism, you really shouldn't make a thread/give criticism.

...Yeah, that's all I'm gonna say... For now anyways.

regimeen

Alt + F4 user
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 16, 2011
    the biggest thing that bugs me is hacks that get awards, sometimes many and then they are not completed. its really annoying when the hack looks amazing but is never finished. i gotta say i could not agree with you all more

jabberjabber8

../\..
    Years
  • the biggest thing that bugs me is hacks that get awards, sometimes many and then they are not completed. its really annoying when the hack looks amazing but is never finished. i gotta say i could not agree with you all more

Personally I except a lot of hacks will never be completed they take a VERY long time and often people simply can't dedicate enough time to it any more, I know I struggled to with my hack when I had exams.

No for me by far the most annoying thing about hacks is when you see a great hack with crisp maps, and great scripts then you notice that they have 386 fakemon, I just can't stand the things..!

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2011
    Unfinished hacks:
    I can understand why some would release a beta first. Finishing a hack is not easy and you want to see if anyone is interested before continuing. What bothers me is how people just drop their projects like it's nothing. Why should I be interested in a hack if there is no real dedication or commitment towards it's completion? Even worse is when these unfinished hacks win Hack of the Month/Year.

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    1. Bad spriting
    Don't sprite if you can't
    2. People who never finish hacks
    SERG!O....
    3. Bad tiling
    'Nuff said.
    4. Cliche storylines
    I know just about every story cliche out there..
    Collect badges, defeat evil teams who... WANNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD DUDNDUDNDUDN OK already, I get it..
    5. Overleveled
    I wanna challenge, not a (insert curse here) grind time.
    6. Stops it for no reason
    I'm personally one of those people. I always get too lazy. And my computer's a (insert curse here).
    To be honest, it wasn't Baro who translated it it. I don't think he intended it to curse so much. Besides, I don't give a crap. QUARTZ IS AWSOME. Go ahead, sue me.

Back