• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do so many people hate pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
Years
  • I luv pokemon and alwayz will i hope they got to atleast gen 15

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • People hate it because many people try so hard to be mature. And they view Pokemon as being something that is immature, so they make fun of it and hate on it thinking it makes them look more mature.

Or maybe hating it was kind of a bandwagon thing that everyone jumped on.

Those are my guesses.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
  • comic146.png

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • ^^^^
    LULZ, that one college kid has a Digglet beanie. XD

But yeah, that just about sums it up.

And maybe people hate it because they got owned at it when they were in elementary school?

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Well, in my school, they think they're too mature to play Pokémon.
    But I have made a conclusion:

People who hate Pokémon, is because their parents never bought them a Game Boy or a Pokémon game when they were children. They should overcome their trauma. Now.

I don't believe those pretexts about that they are too mature to play Pokémon or it is too childish.

Me and my brother always play Pokémon, he is 27 years old, and yeah, he got a nice job. I'm 15, about to turn 16, and I'm very anxious to play B&W, I don't care if it is released when I turn 18, 19, 20, whatever.

Amen.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I'll be honest, there was a time I downright HATED pokemon. It's all thanks to the anime, actually - the first season was actually decent overall but quickly became redundant (in my view, anyway). That infamous high-school period where pokemon was labelled 'uncool' basically fueled my hatred even further. I still had some love for the first and second gen. games, mind, and I did not get out of my way to keep this fact a secret. Apart from banter, no-one did seriously make fun of me for that actually. Sometimes it helps when you have an almost permanent scary look on your face >_<.

Then came pokemon emerald (I got this relatively late haha) and my love for the series has been rekindled (Despite me not liking most of the third gen. designs). I love the games, though I really hope the developers take it up a notch with Black and White.

Anyway, without digressing any further, the anime is most likely the main culprit behind the 'immature' light that many people see pokemon in nowadays. Oh and the current anime, dear God. I wouldn't blame anyone who saw that and label pokemon as stupid, even though i would be narrow-minded to judge a franchise entirely on a single aspect of it.

just my two cents

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2010
    Because they have a bravadoon and say pokemon is for kids when they probably love it

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • Yeah I agree with NeoRyder, the anime could do SO much more for the community behind pokemon. It could be SO much better.

I'm lucky compared to some, because I have 4 friends that like pokemon with me and we're all near enough the same age! In fact, as we speak I'm guiding my mate Steven through some of the finer points of Ev training :D

Its good to like Pokez :P

Years
  • few ppl hate pokemon, its just cuz they dont c the "cool kids" playing it, or talking about it. they dont truly hate it, they just allow there friends who think its "childish" to influence their decision in most cases.

lucy_goosey

10 years and counting...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2011
    I'm a self-confessed geek and all my friends and workmates know this. I openly fangirled about SS/HG before they were released.
    Trust me when you get out of school people don't give a Rattatta's backside what you do in your spare time :P

RalfJR

Normal-type user!
    Years
  • Juts because they think its childish but whatever, they are what they are, i play it because its fun and all, i have meet 20 years old people who like it, they aren´t freaks like some fanboy(girl) they are mature and all, my friends know i play it, and i say "whatever its a game its just for fun".

kiyoi

Onion Kid
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2018
    I think the main reason some people dislike Pokemon is because the Pokemon anime is a cartoon aimed at all ages and therefore, very colorful with no swear words or excessive blood/gore. For some of those 'mature' people, anything without them are baby stuff for immature nerds or whatever they like to call people.

But most people I've seen who dislikes Pokemon dislikes anime in general.
    And there are always those people who hates anything popular.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
  • I think the main reason some people dislike Pokemon is because the Pokemon anime is a cartoon aimed at all ages and therefore, very colorful with no swear words or excessive blood/gore. For some of those 'mature' people, anything without them are baby stuff for immature nerds or whatever they like to call people.
    this. no violent, sex, drugs, and swearing means it childish. the funny thing is the people who usually follow this are from about 8-14 year olds. XD i dont rly see many people hating on pokemon, some of my friends dont particular like it but he just hates heaps of sequels in general, says it abuses the game. does it rly matter if people hate pokemon? i mean, if u enjoy it, u shouldnt worry too much. unless of course u get abused for it.

Years
  • When I started to play pokemon two months ago, I remember that I said to two my friends at school, that I cant wait to go home and play pokemon, and one of them said ''Wow, Tomo, You should get back to first grade!'' because we all watched pokemon on TV when we were kids, but now everyone say pokemon are for little kids. I only have one friend that doesn't tease me about playing pokemon. Now I never even mention pokemon at school. And last week, my friends started talking about cartoons they watched when they were kids, and one of them mentioned pokemon and I just pretended I dont know anything about pokemon because they would probably tease me.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • It's a stereotype really. I'm not sure what to say about it except that you won't get that from people with more refined taste.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • They don't hate it, they just think it's a child's thing.
    And seeing an adult playing with a child's toy/game, they dub it right to harrass and/or cause harm to us.

But there's so many concepts in Pokemon that transcend the logic that they're a children's game.
    Pokemon is far from a child's game.

The age ratings don't mean that they're for that age, they merely represent that anyone below the age might not/should not play the game or does not have the game, or it has concepts that should not introduced to a person below the advised age.

Plus the age ratings on Pokemon games are usually 7+.
    + meaning anyone 7 and OVER.

So their logic is illogical.
    Don't worry yourself over them anyway, they're the ones missing out on some quality videogames and anime.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    Trust me when you get out of school people don't give a Rattatta's backside what you do in your spare time :P

This + you'll also find the older you get the less you care about the opinions of others and do what makes you happy.

Years
  • lawl, some of you must be in middle school. In high school, people start to actually mature and stop hating and let people play what they want. They may question why but then move on after you give them an answer. Also there is a lot more pokemon players in high school than one may think.

I remember when someone saw my pokewalker hanging from my pants, they were like "DooD, is that a pokeball?" "Thats's awesome!!!"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back