• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterd1994

pokemonfanforever
Years
  • Thinking of using this. What's good to use protect. Or knock off Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - High Jump Kick
    - Protect / Knock Off
    Item Attached: Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How many stat boosts do you need to get Stored power up to maximum? it says the maximum base power of the move is 860 (so that would be 42 stat boosts plus the 20 of it's original base power) but if you boost Att, Def, Sp Att, Sp Def, Speed and Accuracy 6 levels each, that's only 36, so how do you get it up to max? Not that anything would necessarily live long enough to get to max stats, but still, I'm curious. )

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    How many stat boosts do you need to get Stored power up to maximum? it says the maximum base power of the move is 860 (so that would be 42 stat boosts plus the 20 of it's original base power) but if you boost Att, Def, Sp Att, Sp Def, Speed and Accuracy 6 levels each, that's only 36, so how do you get it up to max? Not that anything would necessarily live long enough to get to max stats, but still, I'm curious. )
    You forgot Evasion :) :) :).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Thinking of using this. What's good to use protect. Or knock off Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - High Jump Kick
    - Protect / Knock Off
    Item Attached: Life Orb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
    You definitely want to use Protect. Protect guarantees that Blaziken gets a Speed Boost, which it needs in order to be effective since base 80 Speed is really meh (Protect is also a Doubles staple move, should you ever wanna use it in Doubles). The last slot is up to you. Knock Off gives Blaziken a way to deal with Ghosts without using Flare Blitz (particularly since Chandelure, Giratina, and Jellicent all lol at it's STABS) and Knock Off is useful for crippling item dependent Pokemon. Swords Dance boosts Blaziken's Attack to crushing levels, making it hard to wall. Adamant is best if you don't use Swords Dance since Blaziken needs the extra Attack, but you can use Jolly if you use Swords Dance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How many stat boosts do you need to get Stored power up to maximum? it says the maximum base power of the move is 860 (so that would be 42 stat boosts plus the 20 of it's original base power) but if you boost Att, Def, Sp Att, Sp Def, Speed and Accuracy 6 levels each, that's only 36, so how do you get it up to max? Not that anything would necessarily live long enough to get to max stats, but still, I'm curious. )

The max power is indeed 860 with the 42 boosts. Here's the formula as stated in Bulbapedia:
    Bulbapedia said:
    [20 (base power) + {20 x 7 (Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed, evasion, and accuracy) x 6 (maximum positive stat stage)}]

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What am I missing about Substitute? It seems like most movesets automatically have this move on them, and while I get the reason behind the move, it seems mindlessly slapped onto everything that can make use of it.

To use a specific example, I was looking up a moveset for Swoobat (that has a terrible base HP of 67) and they had Substitute on it, however, am I wrong in my presumption that since Substitute takes 1/4 of your HP, that it itself only has 1/4 of the max HP of the pokemon using it? So if your pokemon has low HP, wouldn't 1 hit take it out? So basically any move you were going to use you might as well just use because if Sub is only giving you 1 extra turn because it's HP is so low, and you're using that 1 extra turn to CREATE the substitute, where exactly are you gaining anything? Or am I completely wrong and Substitute has it's own HP or something? Thanks for the explanation.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What am I missing about Substitute? It seems like most movesets automatically have this move on them, and while I get the reason behind the move, it seems mindlessly slapped onto everything that can make use of it.

To use a specific example, I was looking up a moveset for Swoobat (that has a terrible base HP of 67) and they had Substitute on it, however, am I wrong in my presumption that since Substitute takes 1/4 of your HP, that it itself only has 1/4 of the max HP of the pokemon using it? So if your pokemon has low HP, wouldn't 1 hit take it out? So basically any move you were going to use you might as well just use because if Sub is only giving you 1 extra turn because it's HP is so low, and you're using that 1 extra turn to CREATE the substitute, where exactly are you gaining anything? Or am I completely wrong and Substitute has it's own HP or something? Thanks for the explanation.

Substitute fails if the user has less than 25% HP left.

In case you didn't get it before, Substitute can be used on a predicted Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave to block the status that occurs. It can also be used on a predicted switch to give the user time to do whatever it has to do before it attacks.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Substitute fails if the user has less than 25% HP left.

In case you didn't get it before, Substitute can be used on a predicted Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave to block the status that occurs. It can also be used on a predicted switch to give the user time to do whatever it has to do before it attacks.

I never said I was using it below 25% of maximum HP, I was asking

To use a specific example, I was looking up a moveset for Swoobat (that has a terrible base HP of 67) and they had Substitute on it, however, am I wrong in my presumption that since Substitute takes 1/4 of your HP, that it itself only has 1/4 of the max HP of the pokemon using it? So if your pokemon has low HP, wouldn't 1 hit take it out? So basically any move you were going to use you might as well just use because if Sub is only giving you 1 extra turn because it's HP is so low, and you're using that 1 extra turn to CREATE the substitute, where exactly are you gaining anything? Or am I completely wrong and Substitute has it's own HP or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    ^Sometimes that one turn is all you need to set-up and devastate the opponent.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    i really need an explination please help im breeding my pokes everything is fine i got 1 poke finished and then i move on to jynx well the ditto im using is one traded to me and once i got to modest nature on a smuchum which is what i need it says that they preffer to play with other pokes i also tried this with a nother smuchum it seems that this modest smuchum just does ot want to breed however i am assuming that this is a really stupid question and i will feel incredably stupid once answered but i need to know and i cant fin an explination anywhere

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    i really need an explination please help im breeding my pokes everything is fine i got 1 poke finished and then i move on to jynx well the ditto im using is one traded to me and once i got to modest nature on a smuchum which is what i need it says that they preffer to play with other pokes i also tried this with a nother smuchum it seems that this modest smuchum just does ot want to breed however i am assuming that this is a really stupid question and i will feel incredably stupid once answered but i need to know and i cant fin an explination anywhere

Smoochum is a baby Pokémon, like Riolu, and baby 'mons can't breed. (you sick bastard! jk~) You'll first have to evolve them to be able to breed them again with a Ditto. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    godamit i new it was stupid... can this question be removed please? XD too emarressing lol thanks again Jagold

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    godamit i new it was stupid... can this question be removed please? XD too emarressing lol thanks again Jagold
    It's not really a stupid question though, it's a perfectly legitimate question about breeding. Nobody knows everything about everything.....

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    thanks just feel like ive asked a couple really dumb ones but its all good thanks for the help as always great group of ppl

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I'm breeding a Ferroseed now and it's moveset needs to be planned since 2 - 3 of the moves will need to be bred onto it, but I am going to be running the following

Held item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Moves: Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed

So as you can see, I'm having trouble getting rid of one move, so which is better, Spikes or Stealth Rock (since Spikes stacks, but Stealth Rock takes type affinity into account) OR should I get rid of Leech Seed and keep both Spikes and Stealth Rock? Thanks!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So I'm breeding a Ferroseed now and it's moveset needs to be planned since 2 - 3 of the moves will need to be bred onto it, but I am going to be running the following

Held item: Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Moves: Gyro Ball, Power Whip, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed

So as you can see, I'm having trouble getting rid of one move, so which is better, Spikes or Stealth Rock (since Spikes stacks, but Stealth Rock takes type affinity into account) OR should I get rid of Leech Seed and keep both Spikes and Stealth Rock? Thanks!
    Having two hazards on the same Pokemon is kinda unnecessary. Unless you're running a defensive/stall team, usually only one hazard is needed. Stealth Rocks is the better one because nothing is immune to it (flyers and pokes with Levitate are fairly common) and it rips huge chunks of health out of common things like Charizard, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back