• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Third Version Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    Dunno if mentioned already, but now that we're well acquainted with the new PKMN introduced in Gen 6, the Kalos starters are going to have Mega Evolutions in the third version. Also, one of the Sinnoh starters will get a Megavolution as well, kinda a little *hint* for the Sinnoh remake, like how Blaziken was the only Hoenn starter receiving a Megavolution when X and Y came out. :3

I don't think they'll do that again, giving one starter a Mega-Evolution. I think Blaziken was the exception that time because it's so popular with fans. Kinda like the way Charizard and Mewtwo received two Mega Evolutions and no-one else did! I don't think we're getting Sinnoh starter Megas until the first 7th gen main games.

Also, methinks that the third version won't be a sequel like B2W2, but an improved version of XY like Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. Why do I think this? Mainly because there's nothing more that GameFreak could add to the story for a sequel. With the third version, they could simply and easily fix how boring the XY story was by adding more scenes and events and blahblahblah.

I think you could be right! I think if they were to do a prequel or a sequel I'd prefer a sequel but I don't think they're going to do either. They'll do what they've done before and just expand on the game they already have. Maybe changing the look of the main protagonist ala B2W2 but keep the customizable options. I think they'll just be jazzed up versions of XY despite
    us being told that'd be "too predictable".

If X2Y2 or even Z are too predictable and GF wouldn't go to any of that route, then methinks that the third version's going to be a Gen 6.5 game located in a different region close to Kalos, with more new "Gen 6" PKMN. Timeline wise, I dunno. Maybe during the events in Kalos, or maybe after the events in Kalos. Being able to visit Kalos would be nice as a post-game thingie. Might be kinda boring if there won't be a mini-story for it though... :/

I can see them going down the route of B2W2 again. Like how B2W2 started in a new place, had different Gym Leaders at the start and then eventually you joined back up to the main bit of Unova. But instead of starting off in a new place I think they'll have a southern Kalos maybe mid or late game that'll maybe have a Gym Leader, replacing a Gym Leader we already have and new Pokémon we haven't seen yet.

Or maybe they'll have a story where the power in Lumiose doesn't come back on and Clemont sends you to Southern Kalos to pick up a part that was supposed to be delivered but has been delayed. Then you go to find the truck has been overturned and the part missing. (Maybe because of team Flare or something) and you have to go and find whoever stole it.

Excuse the drawn lines in paint!
    Lh0t3h8.png

I mean if they did my story-line, and added routes in where I've drawn, it'd make sense that truck could be on it's way to Lumiose since they could have a route that connects directly to it. So it'd all fit.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Don't forget that railway from the town near Terminus Cave!~

That railway is what makes me think that any new areas we get in a future game(s) will be based on Germany instead of the British Isles (plus Ireland), southern France, or Spain. Couriway town (and Anistar City) is based on a region of France that Germany once claimed for itself so it'll make sense for it to be connected to a German based region.

Last edited:

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    That railway is what makes me think that any new areas we get in a future game(s) will be based on Germany instead of the British Isles (plus Ireland), southern France, or Spain.

I don't mind, as long as it's a whole new area then I'm happy.~ But ugghh... any Pokémon that are caught there is still listed as originated from the Kalos region, since the game coding only recognizes the game that generated the Pokémon.

I wonder if Zygarde's plot extends from that location, since it's close to the Terminus Cave.

Years

• A prequel would be nice, but I don't think that'll happen either because it wouldn't make sense why there are more PKMN capable of Megavolving in Prequel Kalos than in XY Kalos. :/ But that's just my opinion.

Not finding certain Mega Evolutions or Stones in X/Y doesn't necessarily mean they didn't exist at all. Plus, if the third version does turn out to be a prequel, then that could possibly explain why they didn't find other Mega Stones in X/Y- the only copies of any Mega Stones exclusive to that game or from OR/AS had already been found.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Maybe they'll add the mega stones to XY (and ORAS) of the later games at the end of the generation.
    Anyways I wonder when we'll get Corocoro leaks...the 9th? The 11th? The 13th?

Come to think of it, Game Freak has to fix that compatibility issue with X/Y and ORAS somehow. I wonder if they'll make this game or games compatible with both X/Y and ORAS. To be honest, I don't know how or what they'll do since I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to programing games.

I'm guessing CoroCoro leaks will start happening anytime between the 9 and 11. I don't think they normally announce new games, so I'm wondering if we could get a new game announcement anytime before or after CoroCoro leaks. That's if Game Freak decides to announce the new games at all this month, if not I'm betting October at the latest. November announcement for a game title would be really pushing it, IMO.

Years
  • Come to think of it, Game Freak has to fix that compatibility issue with X/Y and ORAS somehow. I wonder if they'll make this game or games compatible with both X/Y and ORAS. To be honest, I don't know how or what they'll do since I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to programing games.

I'm guessing CoroCoro leaks will start happening anytime between the 9 and 11. I don't think they normally announce new games, so I'm wondering if we could get a new game announcement anytime before or after CoroCoro leaks. That's if Game Freak decides to announce the new games at all this month, if not I'm betting October at the latest. November announcement for a game title would be really pushing it, IMO.
    BW were announced by Corocoro irc, B2W2 were announced in Pokémon Smash, XY in a Pokémon Direct, and ORAS in a financial meeting or something like that...so it could be announced in any number of ways. I think Corocoro is more likely.

Last edited:

Years
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2018
    I'm really expecting a improved third-version, like Platinum to DP or Emerald to RS, because people say XY feel very incomplete (I haven't yet played them, although).
    Maybe they will announce it this month.

Years
  • I'm really expecting a improved third-version, like Platinum to DP or Emerald to RS, because people say XY feel very incomplete (I haven't yet played them, although).
    Maybe they will announce it this month.
    I wouldn't mind a third version. Oddly the one gen where I didn't get the third version as my first game of the gen ended up getting no third version, so for it to repeat...almost seems like a curse xD.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I would prefer a third version also, but didn't they say they would like things to be less predictable this time around, or something along the lines? If so, who knows, they might be going with something we haven't thought of yet.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I would prefer a third version also, but didn't they say they would like things to be less predictable this time around, or something along the lines? If so, who knows, they might be going with something we haven't thought of yet.

They actually did say they want to make the upcoming game(s) unpredictable. I think you can find the interview from one of the posts in this thread. :P

A sister version or prequel or sequel, tbey are still predictable imo. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019

I just want them to announce that already !! :)
    I trust they will suprise us, that's for sure.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • The only thing unpredictable that I can think of is if they decided to announce a "Z" version as the last main series game of the franchise. "Z" is at the end of the alphabet, and the "terminus" in Terminus Cave is the Latin word for "end", and Zygarde's name starts with a "Z" and is found in Terminus Cave.

That's a crack-theory though, nothing serious. I don't see Pokémon ending for a while, even though it's 20 years old.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    The only thing unpredictable that I can think of is if they decided to announce a "Z" version as the last main series game of the franchise. "Z" is at the end of the alphabet, and the "terminus" in Terminus Cave is the Latin word for "end", and Zygarde's name starts with a "Z" and is found in Terminus Cave.

That's a crack-theory though, nothing serious. I don't see Pokémon ending for a while, even though it's 20 years old.

Eh, but consider this. Maybe this could be the end of the traditional types of Pokemon games. I mean, if there is one criticism that is uniform among all professional critics, it is that the Pokemon formula is way too derivative. I think this makes it easy to have continuity between the games and be able to transfer your favorite Pokemon down through the line, but with the way the games are structured, transferring Pokemon (outside of completing the Pokedex) is kind of pointless. It helps that collecting the gym badges forces you to play within the means of the game for the intro, but once you get all 8 badges, you could just transfer that god mode team you had in a previous game and wreck faces. Challenge obliterated.

So, I would like to hope that we might see a new way of doing things. I know I've pitched it before in this thread and I recognize that it probably isn't going to happen, but I'd like to see them reboot with Pokemon 2.0. I would like them to shave down the number of official Pokemon to around 400-500. Make all Pokemon obtainable in the game and save event legendaries for maybe 2-3. Restructure the stat system so that way growth isn't dictated by leveling up but by battling. So basically Pokemon have hard caps for their Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk., Sp. Def., and Speed which increase slowly over time through battling to the cap. In this way, type match ups, movesets, and some luck matter more than just having an overlevelled team. This would give the game more consistency throughout and make it so transferring Pokemon that you like through games wouldn't result in having it all. To be concrete, you wouldn't be able to beat a level 50 Charizard with a level 100 Rattata. The Pokemon would have no levels, but Rattata's stat caps would be sufficiently lower than Charizards, such that even if the Charizard had maybe been trained less arduously than the Rattata, the Charizard has more potential to grow and should BE stronger overall than a Rattata.

Being realistic for a moment. I really hope the next game is a spiritual successor to X/Y that doesn't take place in Kalos itself, but takes place in a different continent but maintains the customization precedent set by X/Y. I think having a new landmass with a new story but not adding too many new Pokemon would be a perfect way to bridge the gap between the generations. If they do recycle Kalos, I just hope they pack in a lot of features. The PlayNav stuff would be great, more customization options, and hopefully a lot more interesting stuff to do post-game. I really don't know why the game world is so static. They could have rotating weekly events, in-game tournaments, random in-game events or occurrences, and so on. I would really like to see them embrace the post-game with you as the Champion as well. So maybe once a week, a group of three randomly generated trainers (and the pool could include your rivals) challenge you as the leader of the Elite Four. Failing to defeat them causes you to lose the title (and they can give it to the winner or give it back to the original champion). You then have to completely rechallenge the elite four. You could even choose to volutarily relinquish the title so you could train on your own intensively. The options are really only limited by your imagination.

I mean honestly, being able to play the Elite Four as much as you want has always been part of the game. Experiencing events past "the end" has been part of the Pokemon experience likewise. Why they haven't tried to enrich it, especially given the extended shelf life of the games, boggles the mind. It strikes me as something that would be so easy to do as well. So that's what I hope we will see with whatever they make next. Just more ambition.

Years
  • Eh, but consider this. Maybe this could be the end of the traditional types of Pokemon games. I mean, if there is one criticism that is uniform among all professional critics, it is that the Pokemon formula is way too derivative. I think this makes it easy to have continuity between the games and be able to transfer your favorite Pokemon down through the line, but with the way the games are structured, transferring Pokemon (outside of completing the Pokedex) is kind of pointless. It helps that collecting the gym badges forces you to play within the means of the game for the intro, but once you get all 8 badges, you could just transfer that god mode team you had in a previous game and wreck faces. Challenge obliterated.

So, I would like to hope that we might see a new way of doing things. I know I've pitched it before in this thread and I recognize that it probably isn't going to happen, but I'd like to see them reboot with Pokemon 2.0. I would like them to shave down the number of official Pokemon to around 400-500. Make all Pokemon obtainable in the game and save event legendaries for maybe 2-3. Restructure the stat system so that way growth isn't dictated by leveling up but by battling. So basically Pokemon have hard caps for their Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk., Sp. Def., and Speed which increase slowly over time through battling to the cap. In this way, type match ups, movesets, and some luck matter more than just having an overlevelled team. This would give the game more consistency throughout and make it so transferring Pokemon that you like through games wouldn't result in having it all. To be concrete, you wouldn't be able to beat a level 50 Charizard with a level 100 Rattata. The Pokemon would have no levels, but Rattata's stat caps would be sufficiently lower than Charizards, such that even if the Charizard had maybe been trained less arduously than the Rattata, the Charizard has more potential to grow and should BE stronger overall than a Rattata.

Being realistic for a moment. I really hope the next game is a spiritual successor to X/Y that doesn't take place in Kalos itself, but takes place in a different continent but maintains the customization precedent set by X/Y. I think having a new landmass with a new story but not adding too many new Pokemon would be a perfect way to bridge the gap between the generations. If they do recycle Kalos, I just hope they pack in a lot of features. The PlayNav stuff would be great, more customization options, and hopefully a lot more interesting stuff to do post-game. I really don't know why the game world is so static. They could have rotating weekly events, in-game tournaments, random in-game events or occurrences, and so on. I would really like to see them embrace the post-game with you as the Champion as well. So maybe once a week, a group of three randomly generated trainers (and the pool could include your rivals) challenge you as the leader of the Elite Four. Failing to defeat them causes you to lose the title (and they can give it to the winner or give it back to the original champion). You then have to completely rechallenge the elite four. You could even choose to volutarily relinquish the title so you could train on your own intensively. The options are really only limited by your imagination.

I mean honestly, being able to play the Elite Four as much as you want has always been part of the game. Experiencing events past "the end" has been part of the Pokemon experience likewise. Why they haven't tried to enrich it, especially given the extended shelf life of the games, boggles the mind. It strikes me as something that would be so easy to do as well. So that's what I hope we will see with whatever they make next. Just more ambition.
    You might be on to something. Gen 7 should bring another reboot like Gen III and V did so changing the increasingly stale formula for Gen VII makes sense (hopefully more than two mentioned did). Perhaps Z will be the end of the old formula and the start of the new (Omega and Alpha) one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back