• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Darkness Falls~ *Dark Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
Years
  • If you could have any Dark-type in real life which one would you have and why?

That's easy, Umbreon of course because it's my favorite pokemon.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Alright so ive been having those stupid wifi issues so i was gonna make a biomothly pokemon of the week on friday but we will wait...

So for now a new topic maybe?
    If you could make any (existing/current) Pokemon part Dark what would it be and why?

Also i loved everyones answers especially zorua! Hehe
    Honorable mention for me would probably be umbreon and absol as theyd be great to have in real life i mean who wouldnt want an absol following them? You'd just look cool all day! Haha. And umbreon would make a great pet and its cute! (Plus it can shoot Shadowballs at people if needed and bite everything in sight haha)

RedWolf98

That Guy >.>
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    Username: RedWolf98
    Reason you love dark types: Umbreon has always been a favorite of mine ever sense I knew of him. Another reason why I love dark types is just how over powering they can be come! (Think of an Umbreon with the following moves; Confuse Ray, Double Team, Baton Pass, Bite or Faint Attack)
    3 partner pokemon: Umbreon, Greninja, Houndoom

Which pokemon would I want to make dark..?
    Maybe a Dark Rayquaza? I mean, who wouldn't want to see a dark Rayquaza? He would be so more powerful than he already is!

Years
  • Which Pokémon would I want to make part Dark-type? Probably Luxray or Arcanine, as those two can learn specific Dark-type attacks. Not to mention the former has some shades of black, or dark blue, all over itself. And maybe if the latter got a Mega Evolution they could give it the Dark-type to benefit those moves. But the former surely looks like something that could use that type and fit it sensibly.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • If you could make any (existing/current) Pokemon part Dark what would it be and why?

I'd have to choose Luxray. It's color scheme screams Dark-type and it gets Crunch and would benefit greatly from getting STAB with it. Honorable mention to Garchomp because Dragon/Dark is a cool type combination, even if those dumb fairies get a huge advantage :P

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Username: Mithel_Celestia
    Reason you love dark types: So sneaky and sly... I love it! *insert sinister grin*(I joined a different Dark-type fan group before it got necro-ed just to let peeps know.)
    3 partner pokemon: Ark (Mightyena/Omega Ruby first run MVP), Daze (Hydreigon), Desper (Absol)
    Answer any current topic:
    If you could have any Dark-type in real life which one would you have and why?
    I would LOVE a Mightyena! You don't know how much I love him. Mightyena is such an underated Pokemon. :\

Also may I throw a new topic?
    If there would ever be a Dark-Type gym and gym leader, what theme do you think would fit it?
    I was thinking on what a dark-type gym would look like and it came to me: It could be Biker's Garage with the gym trainers being the gymleader's crew or Bikers waiting for their bikes to get repaired. The gym leader would be a Biker Mechanic (if couldn't guess)

Dedenne1

Years
  • Username: RedWolf98
    Reason you love dark types: Umbreon has always been a favorite of mine ever sense I knew of him. Another reason why I love dark types is just how over powering they can be come! (Think of an Umbreon with the following moves; Confuse Ray, Double Team, Baton Pass, Bite or Faint Attack)
    3 partner pokemon: Umbreon, Greninja, Houndoom

Which pokemon would I want to make dark..?
    Maybe a Dark Rayquaza? I mean, who wouldn't want to see a dark Rayquaza? He would be so more powerful than he already is!
    Welcome to the club red wolf I'll add u to the member list momentarily! Also great picks on partners i love Houndoom! Hehe

Which Pokémon would I want to make part Dark-type? Probably Luxray or Arcanine, as those two can learn specific Dark-type attacks. Not to mention the former has some shades of black, or dark blue, all over itself. And maybe if the latter got a Mega Evolution they could give it the Dark-type to benefit those moves. But the former surely looks like something that could use that type and fit it sensibly.

Luxray forever! Thats something i always thought it needed maybe a mega would give it s
    To him and Arcanine is possible but i think id only see it with a mega in that typing.

If you could make any (existing/current) Pokemon part Dark what would it be and why?

I'd have to choose Luxray. It's color scheme screams Dark-type and it gets Crunch and would benefit greatly from getting STAB with it. Honorable mention to Garchomp because Dragon/Dark is a cool type combination, even if those dumb fairies get a huge advantage :P
    See Luxray just gives off that vibe about being a dark type along with electric i think its, its black mane and coloring! And its physical features on its face make it out to be one scary pokemon!
    Username: Mithel_Celestia
    Reason you love dark types: So sneaky and sly... I love it! *insert sinister grin*(I joined a different Dark-type fan group before it got necro-ed just to let peeps know.)
    3 partner pokemon: Ark (Mightyena/Omega Ruby first run MVP), Daze (Hydreigon), Desper (Absol)
    I would LOVE a Mightyena! You don't know how much I love him. Mightyena is such an underated Pokemon. :\

Also may I throw a new topic?
    If there would ever be a Dark-Type gym and gym leader, what theme do you think would fit it?
    I was thinking on what a dark-type gym would look like and it came to me: It could be Biker's Garage with the gym trainers being the gymleader's crew or Bikers waiting for their bikes to get repaired. The gym leader would be a Biker Mechanic (if couldn't guess)
    Welcome welcome. Welcome! I'll add u ASAP to the member list! And omg u made a new topic like thank u! Haha! Nice question btw ill answer in a sec!

Ok so firstly to the old topic i would obviously make Luxray dark and electric its just so fitting in my eyes! Ok so current topic is Mithels topic...

I agree on the biker garage as that would be cool i could also see it being an abandoned building maybe an old power plant thats deserted and hardly runs something like that! Dark is kinda hard to do with themes but i could also see it coenciding with Roxie's theme from unova as like a dark band idk just a thought haha. Anyways discuss oh and sorry for any inactivity internet issues :/ but im back!!!!

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • Welcome back Dedenne.

An abandoned building could work but it fits ghost types more.
    Maybe some sort of maze, similar to the gym on Dewford island. The gym leader could run some sort of 'dog' theme, having Houndoom, Mightyena, Umbreon, Absol?

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Welcome back Dedenne.

An abandoned building could work but it fits ghost types more.
    Maybe some sort of maze, similar to the gym on Dewford island. The gym leader could run some sort of 'dog' theme, having Houndoom, Mightyena, Umbreon, Absol?

A dark maze theme sounds like neat idea, too. I had a similar idea with an illusion-themed gym where you have to go through rooms in sequence or you get tossed back to the start. the gym trainers may even give you tips to accomplishing it.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • If there would ever be a Dark-Type gym and gym leader, what theme do you think would fit it?
    I see the Gym Leader being some sort of mysterious person wearing a long black coat and a black hat or a typical secret agent wearing a tuxedo. As for the Gym itself: to the former a maze filled with obscuring mist would fit, for the latter something with a lot of switches and moving doors.

Although bikers as trainer class tended to use only poison types in the earlier games, I totally see the fit with the dark type. The Gym could be a stunt course or something.

Dedenne1

Years

• Featured Dark Type Of the Week!
    24vru4k.png

Tyranitar, The Armor Pokémon. If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward. Its body can't be harmed by any sort of attack, so it is very eager to make challenges against enemies. Extremely strong, it can change the landscape. It has an insolent nature that makes it not care about others.

Possible Questions:

Have you ever used Tyranitar Competitively or in Game?

What do you think of his mega? Did you think he deserved/needed a mega?

What are your thoughts on him being a dark type?

Did you ever see Tyranitar as a Ground and Dark type more than a Rock and Dark type?

Whats your overall opinion on his overall look and pokedex entry?

Other thoughts?

I thought id start up POTW again and shorten it up alittle its also returning Bi-monthly! And we will also keep the current topic running for any of you that may have missed a chance to answer it!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I see the Gym Leader being some sort of mysterious person wearing a long black coat and a black hat or a typical secret agent wearing a tuxedo. As for the Gym itself: to the former a maze filled with obscuring mist would fit, for the latter something with a lot of switches and moving doors.

Sounds ominous, I love it! It's a bit cliche but the idea itself fits really nicely with beginning to shape a mysterious character. He reminds me a lot of Grimsley though so what could be done to make him stand out from his Gen V counterpart?

I think one option is to pull off another Giovanni though I'm not sure how many people want a repeat of the events of R/B/Y. However dark types are used by the more 'evil' trainer classes with them being heavily favoured by the grunts, admins and thieves of the pokemon world, making the dark type leader the perfect choice for a villain. Throw in a shady outfit, a twisted personality and a team full of dark types and hey presto, you're ready to go! One double agent ready to bend the storyline.

Although bikers as trainer class tended to use only poison types in the earlier games, I totally see the fit with the dark type. The Gym could be a stunt course or something.

Interesting, I've never noticed the trend between bikers and the types they use! I've always just known them to be thugs who like using really tough looking pokemon haha.

I'd be up for a dark type biker though! Maybe we could sort of create a small storyline for it similar to the Delta episode of ORAS? It probably wouldn't be as extensive but could involve the character helping local police forces deal with various rogues and thugs, all of whom use dark and poison types. And I guess it could end with a final battle between the trainer and the head of the biker gang or something.

And now onto the POTW!

Have you ever used Tyranitar competitively or in-game?

No but I'd like to. I think the idea of having to wait till Mt. Silver made it seem not worth training though. But if there's ever a game where I don't have to wait till post game then give me a shout!

Ayy, they made his mega look pretty cool. Did he deserve one? Definitely. As a pseudo-legendary it'd be hard to imagine one of the strongest pokemon in the game not being able to mega evolve.

Honestly? I don't think they've really ever emphasised Tyranitar's dark typing unless you count some of the dark type STAB he was given in the form of Crunch and Dark Pulse. He does look evil though so I suppose it suits him! It's just that there focus was on his primary typing of rock and not much else contributes to him being dark other than his design.

Did you ever see Tyranitar as a Ground and Dark type more than a Rock and Dark type?

To this day, I'm still not really sure between what differentiates a rock and a ground pokemon. I've noticed that rock pokemon seem to be well... literally made of rock. Its dex entry does mention that it causes catastrophic earthquakes though so I guess I've always seen it as more of a ground/dark type pokemon!

Whats your opinion on his overall look and pokedex entry?

latest

If Mecha Tyranitar vs Golurk didn't remind you of Godzilla then I don't know what would! That being said, I love its design. Huge creature that could probably terrorise people and pokemon alike? Heck yeah. To make it even more terrifying, we've also got a few dex entries from each game showing that its design matches its actual power:

R/S: Tyranitar is so overwhelmingly powerful, it can bring down a whole mountain to make its nest. This Pokémon wanders about in mountains seeking new opponents to fight.

So basically, don't mess with Tyranitar folks! It'll bring Mount Everest and the rest of the Himalayas upon you.

BW2: The quakes caused when it walks make even great mountains crumble and change the surrounding terrain.

I think this is where I got the idea that Tyranitar was more of a ground type than rock. I guess I just associate earthquake with ground types more? Either way I think this dex entry could be compared to that of Groudon or Godzilla if it was an actual pokemon.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • POTW: Tyranitar
    No, not yet. But it is the first Pokémon I'm planning to breed in Emerald.

Well, it's a pseudolegendary Pokémon, making it hard to say it doesn't deserve one. I think the Mega is okay, but it could been better. It feels like only the spikes got a little extended and regained Larvitar's horn and that's it.

I have to admit it took me a while to find out Tyranitar was in fact a dark type. At first I thought it was rock/ground just like its two prevolutions. I don't know why it is made a dark type. I know, it looks like a monstrous, evil dinosaur, but not everything that looks monstrous and evil is a dark type. Gyarados, Salamence, Aerodactyl, Nidoking, Gliscor, Eelektross and probably more could all have easily been dark types to me according to that definition. Just because it can learn Crunch doesn't seem to fit as a logical explanation either. Take Luxray for example, the thing is even black, learns biting moves, but is no dark type.

Ground and rock lie very close to each other, but I see it more as a mountain Pokémon, so a rock type.

It looks awesome, an evil dinosaur. I can't really say more about his looks. Its PokéDex entries look a little exaggerated to me, it's not a legendary Pokémon. But if it's true, people can bu lucky there live no Tyranitar in the wild.

Other thoughts?
    It's sad he loses his STAB on Earthquake through evolution.

No but I'd like to. I think the idea of having to wait till Mt. Silver made it seem not worth training though. But if there's ever a game where I don't have to wait till post game then give me a shout!

Yes, now you mention it. There is no game where you can get it prenational at all, unless maybe in the sixth gen, I don't know. I wonder why that is. Most other pseudolegendaries are obtainable before the Elite Four, but often found on hidden locations, like on the waterfall for Bagon in RSE, in a cave hidden under a bridge for Gible in DP, fishing in the Safari Zone for Dratini in RBY

Last edited:

Dedenne1

Years
  • I think one option is to pull off another Giovanni though I'm not sure how many people want a repeat of the events of R/B/Y. However dark types are used by the more 'evil' trainer classes with them being heavily favoured by the grunts, admins and thieves of the pokemon world, making the dark type leader the perfect choice for a villain. Throw in a shady outfit, a twisted personality and a team full of dark types and hey presto, you're ready to go! One double agent ready to bend the storyline.
    I never thought of this! but I think it would be really cool. Another villain who is a gym leader kinda continues the corruption as you see in fairytales and fantasy books could be brought to the pokemon world although id see him as making speeches like Ghetsis did for a good cause while really its a bad cause and their base could be under the gym or in the same city! just a thought but that's a cool idea Aslan!

I have to admit it took me a while to find out Tyranitar was in fact a dark type. At first I thought it was rock/ground just like its two prevolutions. I don't know why it is made a dark type. I know, it looks like a monstrous, evil dinosaur, but not everything that looks monstrous and evil is a dark type. Gyarados, Salamence, Aerodactyl, Nidoking, Gliscor, Eelektross and probably more could all have easily been dark types to me according to that definition. Just because it can learn Crunch doesn't seem to fit as a logical explanation either. Take Luxray for example, the thing is even black, learns biting moves, but is no dark type.

Honestly? I don't think they've really ever emphasised Tyranitar's dark typing unless you count some of the dark type STAB he was given in the form of Crunch and Dark Pulse. He does look evil though so I suppose it suits him! It's just that there focus was on his primary typing of rock and not much else contributes to him being dark other than his design.

Same haha I never saw the darkness in him maybe that's just a stereotype thinking all dark types have to have a darker coloring or such.
    I think this is where I got the idea that Tyranitar was more of a ground type than rock. I guess I just associate earthquake with ground types more? Either way I think this dex entry could be compared to that of Groudon or Godzilla if it was an actual pokemon.
    Other thoughts?
    It's sad he loses his STAB on Earthquake through evolution.
    I find it sad too but honestly when I first saw him I thought he was a ground type probably cause he kept earthquaking and killing my pokes but I always seen him as a ground and dark type or atleast when they announced he would get a mega I thought hed have a type change for less weaknesses.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Username: TwilightBlade
    Reason you love dark types: They are strong, punishing, and elegant Pokemon overall. Some of my favorites are Absol, Houndoom, Hydreigon, Mightyena, Scrafty, Bisharp, and Sharpedo. Those are just some that I've used on in-game teams because they appealed to me. Darkrai and Yveltal are some of my favorite legendaries for looking wickedly powerful. I wear the color black like 80% of the time
    3 partner pokemon:
    359-mega.png
    625.png
    635.png

Houndour because it's so cute and it can fit on my lap. :D

RedWolf98

That Guy >.>
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    Not yet, though I plan on checking him out. He would definitely be a tank that I wouldn't wanna fight even with a 10 foot pole.

Evidently, being the guy who only played to Gen 4, I don't know how I feel about the megas. I've never used them and I find that the normals are just as reliable (also it opens up a item slot. Leftovers for the win everyone.). However, the megas do look awesome and that is the case here with Tyranitar (I also adore Lucario's mega just to throw it out there...).

I've seen most action of him from Pokemon Red Mystery Dungeon when he was one of the bad-arse-adores of the game. He didn't strike me as dark type but if Nintendo calls it Dark, then I'm inclined to take it as fact and move on.

I saw him as Ground/Rock like the rest of his evolutionist actually. To this day, Rock and Ground will always seem the same to me except that rock is weak to fighting.

I feel as though it is overstated. He seems to have little attention in the show or game for being just shy of a legendary Pokemon. Sure he is as good as a Dragon type, but that doesn't mean that he has moved any mountains in the show/game so their meddling on the landscape seems negligible.

Other thoughts?
    Overall, I like Tyranitar but he wouldn't be the first Pokemon I would go to to use as one-man-army the Elite Four. That might be my ignorance speaking for itself, but I find faster Pokemon (like Umbreon or Greninja for Dark types) to be more reliable in more instances.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Oops I forgot to answer :O

Tyranitar was one of my favorites in the old days; Tyranitar is one of my favorites now.

I trained one up during postgame but I never did beat Red with it. They should've made it available

I think he deserved one, but not necessarily needed it. I think something different should've been done, but eh, it's okay I guess. I still prefer the original.

It definitely fits the bill.

Rock/Ground > Ground/Dark, but Rock/Dark > Rock/Ground

What's your overall opinion on his overall look and pokedex entry?
    Pretty awesome looking and it's made out to be an absolute monster.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • If you could make any (existing/current) Pokemon part Dark what would it be and why?
    Echoing others, Luxray. It looks really fierce and the colour scheme doesn't seem fitting for a pure Electric type.

I was thinking more of a coliseum type of thing and similar to what has been said add a maze in mist or something to impair vision.

T-Tar!
    I have used it both in-game and competitive, really nice Poke to use but yeah, its Mega is only useful in Monotypes. But then again, M-T-tar can be handy if you don't have a mega yet. I love its design and losing STAB Earthquake in favor of STAB Pursuit and Crunch seem worth it imo. I do think T-Tar is more suiting as a Rock type anyways and Dark suits its fierceness.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Alright nice to see all the answers and opinions on " T-Tar" as i already said i always pictured it as ground/rock at times due to his lack of inner "darkness" but anyways since its been roughly a week how about a new topic?

Since there was a remake of the Hoenn games there has been speculation that the next games will be a new generation with new pokemon. Do you think there's gonna be a Dark/Fairy or Fairy/Dark type? What other types that have not been paired with dark types do you hope to see or expect to see? Do you think any current dark types may get a further evolution or devolution?

Obviously im kinda running out of ideas for topics :P
    But after the next POTW anyone who has an idea for a topic please feel free to post one :D

Google2.0

Stand Alone Complex
    Years
  • mdfzOgc.gif

Tried something, hope you like it.

Since there was a remake of the Hoenn games there has been speculation that the next games will be a new generation with new pokemon. Do you think there's gonna be a Dark/Fairy or Fairy/Dark type? What other types that have not been paired with dark types do you hope to see or expect to see? Do you think any current dark types may get a further evolution or devolution?

Fairy / dark sure sounds interesting as a combination but i doubt we'll get one.
    Then again they might introduce one, maybe even a legendary, who knows.

Not sure if any current dark type will get an evolution, but i would love to see them get one, especially Honchkrow and
    Liepard. I think they really need and deserve one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back