• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
So does anybody here with Windows 8 use the picture password feature? I understand that it may be hard to remember exact gestures, but I made a grid for mine haha

So you turned your Windows locksreen into an Android lockscreen?

I do like using the pin feature of Windows 8.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I just like how these are set up separately from the main method, so I can have my laptop to be password-only, but my tablet is perfectly open to PIN unlocks.

Years
Picture passwords? That'd be something hard for me to remember if it was based on gestures, haha. No thanks, i'll stick with my word based entries.

Years
Picture passwords? That'd be something hard for me to remember if it was based on gestures, haha. No thanks, i'll stick with my word based entries.
Well a little trick I did was open up Photoshop and create a grid (similar to pattern unlocking on Android) and superimposed that on my image, with reduced transparency. Technically, it's cheating, but still ingenious at the same time.

Years
No posts in five days? Where have y'all been? :P

Does anybody here use Google Chrome in Windows 8 mode? It pretty much reminds me of a Chromebook's UI.

Buoysel

Years
No, to be honest, I don't use apps on my desktop installation of Windows 8. I've occasionally used the weather app, but I have a bookmark to the NWS page for my zip code, so I don't use the app very often.

I don't use Chrome at work because it lacks a setting to delete browsing history and clear the cache on exit. Sure it has Incognito mode, but sometimes I would forget to open in Incognito mode. Opera also lacks this feature to an extent. It will clear the history for you, but it keeps cache. I use opera for Pandora since since I don't have to log in again.

In other news, I will be starting a new job by the end of the month for a very large company.

Years
I don't use Chrome at work because it lacks a setting to delete browsing history and clear the cache on exit. Sure it has Incognito mode, but sometimes I would forget to open in Incognito mode.

For reference, you can force Chrome to open in incognito mode by default by adding -incognito to the shortcut's target.

Years
I don't use Chrome at work because it lacks a setting to delete browsing history and clear the cache on exit. Sure it has Incognito mode, but sometimes I would forget to open in Incognito mode. Opera also lacks this feature to an extent. It will clear the history for you, but it keeps cache. I use opera for Pandora since since I don't have to log in again.
When I worked in an office and went on "personal sites" during calm times, I always made sure to go Incognito on Chrome before browsing. Even though the data was stored to my user folder only, I'd still prefer to not have my history saved.

Now for sites such as my work email, Blackboard (schoolwork), etc I didn't go Incognito.

Buoysel

Years
For reference, you can force Chrome to open in incognito mode by default by adding -incognito to the shortcut's target.

I knew of the trick, but never been motivated to try it. Why can't they just add this as an option like EVERY other browser out there?! Even Internet Explorer has this feature!

TIL Taskbar links are stored in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" But Chrome wasn't there, I went looking and found it in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\69639df789022856" Guessing that number is a UID of some sort, either user or application version. The shortcut also already had the argument: --profile-directory="Profile 1" but I went ahead and add the incognito argument as well.

Years
TIL Taskbar links are stored in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" But Chrome wasn't there, I went looking and found it in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts\69639df789022856" Guessing that number is a UID of some sort, either user or application version. The shortcut also already had the argument: --profile-directory="Profile 1" but I went ahead and add the incognito argument as well.

Yeah, Chrome has a really weird install path due to how it handles multiple user profiles. I think, but don't quote me on this, that you could have also edited the start menu shortcut and then just pinned that to the task bar as well. This was certainly a more involved process than I was expecting though.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I don't usually use public computers since I don't really have a need to under most circumstances.

I also rarely use private browsing functionalities since I also don't find a need to use them under most circumstances.

Years
I don't usually use public computers since I don't really have a need to under most circumstances.
How about printing at school? At my school, we have to use the library computers to print, because we use our school portal/email/Blackboard login to access files that we've sent to the printer, instead of just the printed work all coming out at once.

Years
At my college, printing has become not free, and the professor of one of my classes initially told us we would have to print out discussion articles we were assigned, but he went back on that and let us just bring our papers to class and have us talk about them.

Years
At my college, printing has become not free, and the professor of one of my classes initially told us we would have to print out discussion articles we were assigned, but he went back on that and let us just bring our papers to class and have us talk about them.
A lot of institutions charge for printing, presumably to accumulate for costs for the toner cartridges. Are there just flat out fees, or do you get a certain amount of free prints per day?

At my school, prints are $0.10/page, but everyone gets 25 free prints (or $2.50 in their account) per day in the library. Alternatively, there's also the ability to have 10 free prints from the computer lab, but you can fit 20 pages if you know how to duplex-print. :P

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Whether printing is free or not depends a lot on where you're printing in my case. Library? That'll cost ya. Computer lab? Nah. But you'll need to use the computers within the labs, or hope your laptop has an Ethernet port.

Years
True, when I was at community college from 2009-2013, there was a balance that stated how many free pages I was able to print before I would start being charged. In fact, on my very last day before I finished my time there (well, at least before my last summer semester), there were so many pages I printed for an open book final I had in math that day, but not many of them I ended up needing.

Buoysel

Years
I have to rush across the metro this afternoon in less than 45 minutes, during rush hour! But it's okay, I found a really handy feature of Google Maps.
Spoiler:

EDIT:

Have a laugh. http://i.imgur.com/mdHqY9n.png

Last edited:

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
True, when I was at community college from 2009-2013, there was a balance that stated how many free pages I was able to print before I would start being charged. In fact, on my very last day before I finished my time there (well, at least before my last summer semester), there were so many pages I printed for an open book final I had in math that day, but not many of them I ended up needing.

My VERY LAST DAY as an undergrad, I had to print out my 24-page thesis. I ran out of allotted paper on like page 20. Thankfully, the printer lady gave me 250 pages free

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I finally have broadband, at long last. Unfortunately though it's from AOL-Time Warner-Taco Bell-US Government ADSL.

But hey, look on the bright side - Google Fiber is coming! Within the next few months both the satellite I'm in now and the one we may be moving to (Cary) will be getting Gigabit service for $70/mo. I'm going to be running a server for a website with a friend and I'll be the one doing the self-hosting because of that :D

Years
25 free prints? Ouch. We get something in the neighborhood of $15 or $20 of free prints, at $0.10 a page. I think color is $0.25 a page though. I usually only use it in emergencies and whatnot though, otherwise, I'll print at home if given enough time.
Technically, students can have a total of 35 free prints, because of the ten free prints from the computer lab along side the 25 free prints from the library.

What's weird though is how the library printers can detect duplex printing..it's $0.16/sheet for duplex printing. However, at the computer lab, you can duplex print on those ten pages and get 20 sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back