• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • 1SEEFiH.png

This is the performance I'm getting, despite having a new SSD and imaging from it to USB 2.0.

I've maxxed out this thing entirely too. My netbook is seriously not living up to its name.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    1SEEFiH.png

This is the performance I'm getting, despite having a new SSD and imaging from it to USB 2.0.

I've maxxed out this thing entirely too. My netbook is seriously not living up to its name.

I'm beginning to suspect it's probably something else causing the performance issues while copying data at this point as even an old netbook processor shouldn't end up crippling storage performance to such absurd degrees.

What drive are you imaging the image to? Even among USB 2.0 drives, not all of them are made equal.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Anybody running the Windows 10 preview?

I'm running it on a nettop, it's surprisingly decent performance from this little PC.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I'm beginning to suspect it's probably something else causing the performance issues while copying data at this point as even an old netbook processor shouldn't end up crippling storage performance to such absurd degrees.

What drive are you imaging the image to? Even among USB 2.0 drives, not all of them are made equal.
    It's a phat PNY drive, 32GB. I have a newer PNY drive that gets about 2MB/s.

I'm convinced it's that YouTube video. :P
    This CPU/iGPU's TDP shouldn't leave it capable of all too much. On Windows the video would chop up badly, at least it's not doing that at all on #!.

Anybody running the Windows 10 preview?

I'm running it on a nettop, it's surprisingly decent performance from this little PC.
    I've got moy mother and I on the Linux boat because she can play her Age of Empires II HD, and I can play SimCity 4. Too bad RCT doesn't work, but then again how could I have expected it to, given it was written in ASM. :/

I think at least nowadays CPUs can be really overpowered, and Windows takes advantage of those extra CPU cycles you wouldn't notice, doing... God knows what. xD

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I on the Linux boat because she can play her Age of Empires II HD, and I can play SimCity 4. Too bad RCT doesn't work, but then again how could I have expected it to, given it was written in ASM. :/

I think at least nowadays CPUs can be really overpowered, and Windows takes advantage of those extra CPU cycles you wouldn't notice, doing... God knows what. xD

Task Scheduler events, services, you know the drill. The best part is that on most computers today, you really wouldn't notice anything - and usually it doesn't even need to do things.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • Task Scheduler events, services, you know the drill. The best part is that on most computers today, you really wouldn't notice anything - and usually it doesn't even need to do things.
    My computer freezes for about 10 minutes every time I visit a Microsoft website, does that count? :P

Maybe I should turn off Apache when I'm not using it. MySQL could stand to be turned off along with that, as well. Other than that, what else is there? Surely a Debian web server at idle couldn't be doing a whole lot, right?

Buoysel

Years
  • My computer freezes for about 10 minutes every time I visit a Microsoft website, does that count? :P

Maybe I should turn off Apache when I'm not using it. MySQL could stand to be turned off along with that, as well. Other than that, what else is there? Surely a Debian web server at idle couldn't be doing a whole lot, right?

It really depends on what you have installed. Sometimes Windows does housekeeping in the background. This is true of newer Windows OSs as Microsoft has tried to move tasks towards the background so the OS is quicker on boot.

Take a look at your startup programs, this is usually the biggest slowdown for computers. Manufactures love to install a bunch of stuff. These programs think they need to start with Windows. That slows your boot up time, and on systems where resources are scarce, causes the programs trying to run in the foreground to have to wait for resources to become available. Uninstalling programs you don't use, and disabling most start up programs will improve performance on just about any system.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • It really depends on what you have installed. Sometimes Windows does housekeeping in the background. This is true of newer Windows OSs as Microsoft has tried to move tasks towards the background so the OS is quicker on boot.

Take a look at your startup programs, this is usually the biggest slowdown for computers. Manufactures love to install a bunch of stuff. These programs think they need to start with Windows. That slows your boot up time, and on systems where resources are scarce, causes the programs trying to run in the foreground to have to wait for resources to become available. Uninstalling programs you don't use, and disabling most start up programs will improve performance on just about any system.
    I don't use Windows, but regardless I thought about cleaning up this #! distribution of mine, removing things I don't need and such. The thing is though #! is no longer developed and I should just set up an Arch OS and be able to safely say I don't have anything I don't need, even at a low level with the operating systems which you normally can't touch with Windows.

This netbook could barely handle XP and I decided to take the 7 off of there that Team Fail gave me in favour of #!, since I can't use Sony Vegas or Photoshop on this anyway. Those two programs are the only reason I'll be dual booting Windows on my desktop come March or April.

Buoysel

Years
  • I don't use Windows, but regardless I thought about cleaning up this #! distribution of mine, removing things I don't need and such. The thing is though #! is no longer developed and I should just set up an Arch OS and be able to safely say I don't have anything I don't need, even at a low level with the operating systems which you normally can't touch with Windows.

This netbook could barely handle XP and I decided to take the 7 off of there that Team Fail gave me in favour of #!, since I can't use Sony Vegas or Photoshop on this anyway. Those two programs are the only reason I'll be dual booting Windows on my desktop come March or April.

#! Distro? Never heard of it. If you are self censoring, don't worry about it, we can cuss on PC.

even at a low level with the operating systems which you normally can't touch with Windows.
    Please specify what you would like to do. You can do a lot more in Windows then you probably think you can.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • #! Distro? Never heard of it. If you are self censoring, don't worry about it, we can cuss on PC.
    #! is Crunchbang. # = crunch, ! = bang. ;3

Please specify what you would like to do. You can do a lot more in Windows then you probably think you can.
    I'd like to have confidence that my PC is doing absolutely nothing I haven't personally set it up to do.

I know how much I can do with Windows. I was in the registry at 10 years old changing file type shell properties because the editor in XP SP2 was gone in Vista. :P

Buoysel

Years
  • On a completely different topic, I remember someone saying something about a signature based on the Windows 8 tiles, so I made one. Was a little more time consuming that I thought it was going to be.

Years
  • On a completely different topic, I remember someone saying something about a signature based on the Windows 8 tiles, so I made one. Was a little more time consuming that I thought it was going to be.
    Reminds me more of Windows Phone than it does Windows 8, but that's probably because of the lack of a background and the way the tiles are spaced out. :P

Buoysel

Years
  • Reminds me more of Windows Phone than it does Windows 8, but that's probably because of the lack of a background and the way the tiles are spaced out. :P
    I also thought they were a little too spaced out too, I should fix that, but that is going to be a giant pain.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Urge to get Surface Pro 3 rising...

Like, rising really fast. Possibly too fast for me to handle.

I really feel like trading in or otherwise getting rid of my first-gen Surface not-Pro and getting the new, shiny tablet that comes with a pen! Finally, no more drawing on paper?

Though, I do wonder if the i3 Surface with just 64 GB of storage is even remotely enough. Something tells me that I should get the i5 one, but then again, too much computer?

Buoysel

Years
  • I just thought of suggesting BBCode tables in CQ&F.

I was was saying that your Windows 8 tiles would be easier with HTML tables... yeah. :P

Oh yeah, that makes a lot of since.

How's the spacing on the tiles now?

EDIT: so confused now. I made my signature smaller, and now it has a scrollbar, Div height is 340px.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    Once Windows 10 hits the market, will there be a "jump" in computer hardware? When Windows 7 was around back from 2009 - 2011, the lowest end laptops had 1-2 gb of ram and ~200 gb of HDD space for example. After 8 was released, higher end hardware for PCs got cheaper, and you could get the cheapest PC's ~300 dollars with 4 gbs of ram, 500 gb hard drives, better processors and sometimes even touchscreens. You could even get a laptop with 750 GB of hdd space and 6gb of ram a little bit under 500 dollars.

Will there be another shift in hardware power once Windows 10 is out? Perhaps even improved design/slimness for less?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
  • I dunno, the manufacturers are really gliding with the glam of the "terabyte," and they may not want to give that up too soon.

Anyway, I got a white screen hard booting my netbook at POST, and I ended up short-circuiting the mainboard taking out the battery. In that same five minutes I shattered a hard drive I just imaged for a movie, and now I'm computerless. :P

My cousin has another netbook I'm borrowing in exchange for returning it fixed. I just hope she found it :o

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back