• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Have you found any shinies in 3rd gen?

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
Years
Shiny Rhydon on safari it was like 4am and i was so going to bed but the Shiny Rhydon came. and i was OMG WTF IS THIS and then i loved so much that i did not saved. and lost the Rhydon. welp.

Years
I found a shiny Whismur just outside Rustboro City once. Sure is a shame shiny Whismurs look stupid. It was a cool experience nonetheless.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
got a shiny Rattata in Fire red in route 1 i remember, when i was returning to give parcel to prof Oak.

Years
I have always been quite lucky with the shinies, to be honest, although only recently.
I found a shiny Pidgey right before Mt. Moon in Fire Red, and a Geodude and Zubat in Victory road in the same game.
The Pidgey (later a Pidgeot) even made it to the Hall of Fame (I was doing a Nuzlocke), while the Zubat and Geodude were boxed. I eventually evolved Zubat just because I love Crobat and I really wanted a shiny one, but I never used it.
I never, ever found a shiny in Hoenn. Which makes me sad, I'm still hoping that someday I'll be able to use a shiny Ludicolo or Milotic 3:

JoeCrux

Illustrator
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 31, 2015
In 3rd gen I only found a duskull...Many hours of play and this was the only one I got.

Years
Yes! I found a shiny Aron once and I got excited because I'd never seen a shiny in Emerald before. However, the amusement was wiped off my face when I realised I was doing a Dark Monotype or something so it just lived in my box for the entirety of the game ;;

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
A shiny Koffing on FireRed which is now a Weezing and a shiny Whismur which i killed by accident and I nearly cried,

Years
Haha. I was in the Battle Factory in Pokemon Emerald and one of the pokemon I battled against was a Shuckle. It was Shiny. I was flipping out in excitement until a horredous feeling came over me and my smile started to fade away. I suddenly realized that you can't catch/keep other trainer's pokemon.

...after holding my hands over my face for 10 minutes in frustration over the fact that the only shiny I ever found I would never be able to keep, I quickly disposed of the opponent and swapped one of my pokemon with the shiny shuckle (Battle Factory rules) so that I could battle with a shiny pokemon just once in my life until I had to return the pokemon rental.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Spoiler:

File: Pokemon Emerald, with Moemon Emerald sprite swap patch by CaptainSpectacular (The patch applied is merely a sprite swap so there are no changes to gameplay and algorithms)

Shiny Wurmpie encountered a few weeks ago, raised it into a Dustox and the nature is what i like (Naughty if you know what i mean ;) ). I might raise this one even more though, and its a good thing that Bug is predominantly physical, otherwise this wurmpie would have been a waste.

Shiny Electrike encountered exactly 2 days after i raised my shiny wurmpie. Now raised into a Manectric, and will be toughening it up for that battle with Wallace soon. Not the best of nature though but some of the IVs are better than i expected. (Almost perfect SpecialAtk IV lul)

Its always those unlikely com-mons that end up being the lucky shinies. I'd literally go all out if ever i saw a Shiny

But i guess encountering shinies will always be better in actual hardware (cartridges and an actual GBA). Kuds for those who did in actual hardware.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
I've only seen one shiny prior to gen V (which I obtained through trade, rather than random encounter, so it doesn't even really count), and that would be in Emerald. I was looking for an Aipom in the Safari Zone, and finally found one - and it happened to be shiny! Unfortunately for me the stupid create ran away. The only shiny I have found myself and I've got absolutely nothing to show for it. I've never had Aipom in my team since - I'm damn bitter about this.

Years
I have a Shining Swablu in Ruby.

I've encountered a Shining Nidoran (#032) when first going to Mt. Moon in FireRed, and I didn't know it was any different. I saw that I didn't capture that Pokémon, and I had no more Poké Balls. I fled and bought some, but all of the other Nidoran (#032) were purple. I was so confused.

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
Years
I've been playing Ruby in my downtime recently, and I actually found a shiny Roselia. I only had two pokeballs and couldn't catch her.

Made me really sad.

Years
I caught a golden magikarp in mey leaf green version. i think i traded it away to a friend, he gave me a regirock and an altaria. That was pretty cool because i didn't have any Hoenn game by that time so i could't have those two pokemon. Later my friend evolved it to a red gyarados. Only shiny i have ever got besides red gyarados from pokemon gold and shiny beldum from alpha sapphire

Ganelon

The British Jedi
Years
I caught a shiny Growlithe in FireRed. It was an incredible moment.

Years later, I caught a shiny Vulpix in SoulSilver. They're the only two shiny Pokemon I have ever caught. Could that be more perfect?? Honestly I like Ninetales as a shiny more, but Arcanine is my favourite Pokemon and having a gold one is epic.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I found a shiny Rattata in FireRed once and caught it. It was the first shiny I had seen in the wild in years.

Then--stupid me--I deleted the save file without transferring the Rattata over because I forgot I had it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Around June 2006, I found a shiny Poochyena in Emerald and a shiny Pidgey in FireRed within a week apart of each other.

On October 12th 2006, I soft reset for a shiny Lugia and found it within a few days. I posted about it on Serebii http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?54753-The-NEW-shiny-PKMN-lovers-club/page587

During the next year, I soft reset for the shiny Ho-oh. Many years later, I found that my Emerald file's shiny frame was approximately 40 seconds into the game. Emerald is notorius in having a broken RNG mechanic. You will only find a shiny at xx:yy time in your game upon booting/soft resetting the game. The shiny frame may exist at 40 seconds like mine, may be 8 minutes for you, or may be 52 minutes for someone else. If you always soft reset as fast as you can and interact with the legendary for example in 10.674 seconds, and your shiny frame is not anywhere near 10 seconds, you will not find a shiny. You will instead find that same non-shiny Docile mediocre Pokemon or whatever Emerald is doomed to generate on each boot up.

Anyway, I applied this knowledge to stall my soft resetting just slightly to the 40 seconds to shoot for my shiny Groudon.

Around January 2012, I learned the actual RNG abuse. I used a timer and advanced to a certain frame to obtain shiny Kyogre, Rayquaza, and Regice in Sapphire. Here's the post about the Kyogre anyway. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7023851#7023851

Last edited:

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
I guess i only i found a Shiny Tentacool in Ruby sometime ago, near of Fortree City if i remember correctly xD
Never used them, i just kept it in the PC as a trophy, like the legendaries.

Cya~

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I've only managed to find three shines, the first being in my Sapphire cartridge. X3 That was my first Pokemon game too~
I was running around outside Mauville(although I don't think it was for breeding) and found a shiny Wingull, loved him to death but that game was already complete, so I just trained him up a bit but kept doing other things. He's a level 45ish Pelipper now.
I found a Shiny NidoranF in a Gold Rom and she's on that main team, and found a shiny Vulpix on Mt. Pyre in Alpha Sapphire over the weekend.~ Cleverness Contest champ.~
Edit: Chain Fishing got me a Shellder and Skrelp in Y :D

Last edited:
Years
My first shiny was in FireRed, I found a shiny Pidgey at level 5 in route 3. At the time, I didn't know about Shinies so I just got it because I though that the stras that flew out of it made it different :p
My second shiny was in my first Ruby game, where I found a shiny Swablu. By then I was a dedicated fan so I did not hesitate and threw a ball. Too bad I never got round to training it. Picture under: My shiny Swablu in the box:

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
I have actually met a shiny meowth xp i wasn't even sure if it was shiny at first.

Back