• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Rocket Is BORING now!

Sick of Team Rocket?

• Duh! They're annoying!

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Come on, different team already.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Not really (only people with problems would choose this)

Votes: 38 42.2%

• Total voters

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
Years
  • Blame the writers for it. I mean, it's not their fault for being idiots and stuff, the writers wrote the plot themselves. So blame them. *points at writers*

As for your question, I don't quite agree. Like some people state, this is a KIDS show. You don't want Team Rocket to be all mean and nasty, the children would be scared off. Take them out, there's no show. I find Team Rocket quite boring sometimes, but mostly laugh at the traps they made. 1) It's crazy; 2) Impossible to act out in real life; and 3) The twerps fell for it, which they shouldn't. Team Rocket is also the reason I love the games in the Wi-fi Channel.

So conclusion: I don't have any problems, and Team Rocket is NOT boring. Period.

P.S: I love their Giovanni fantasies. Once, Giovanni was running on the desert (and his body was spread with honey) and got humped by bug Pokemon. AND Spearows. I loved it.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • I'm not getting tired of them just yet.

I just wish James would do something already. Such as, catch another Pokemon.

It's either him or Brock that's getting a Snover. I can just feel it somehow.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I believe Team Rocket has met a downfall some people call time. Or, what others may call, the 4th generation.

So yes, I find them to be quite boring nowadays.

Suzume

Fire Fist
    Years
  • Team Rocket is actually the main reason I'm still watching Pokemon. Then again, they were also one of the reasons I stopped watching Pokemon when I grew up from my 'big fan of the Pokemon anime' -childhood. I, too, blame writers more than the lovable trio.

To me, Team Rocket have the most interesting characters in the whole show. I like the fact that they are not completely evil - they are more like people who want to be free from all the rules of society. Especially James, who had suffered under the strict disipline of his rich parents when he was a child. Meowth and Jessie have pretty interesting pasts as well, and we don't even know much about Jessie's.

But I still agree that the things they usually do are always been the same: let's steal a random pokemon for the boss and eventually fail blah blah blah. At least Jessie has started doing contests along the way. But if they were replaced, would that really change anything much? The writers still need someone to make some action in every episode, especially fillers. And they need to fail as well, since the main characters always have to save the day. The writers are lazy, so they would unlikely change the pattern much, even if the villains were different. And I don't wan't them to be different. ;__;

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • It's an anime show designed for young children. It's obviously not going to be very original or deep. The way some people on this messageboard moan about stuff, it's like they expect the show to be the next Godfather movie or an episode of Top Gear.

You know, even a children's show can contain something original and meaningful. It's hardly too much to ask for a decent plot and a couple of characters who aren't just cardboard cut outs. If there's any point in continuing the series after so long, other than to make lots of money with extra advertising for the games and toys, it's the fan base- Most of whom are the people who grew up with it. Like any other TV show, if they don't progress to suit their audience, they're going to lose it.

But, fine. Let the little kids enjoy the same story over and over and over. If the show's still going in 5 years time, you'll be hearing the same from them.

joehat

Yay
    Years
  • Haha yeah. And if the show is still going in 5 years, I wouldn't doubt that I'll still be watching it. As for Team Rocket, it really saddens me. I loved Team Rocket, and now they're just a nuisance. The only laughs I really get out of them anymore (and I'm only at the Johto episodes in Whirl Islands) is Wobbuffet and Victreebel eating James. By the way, do you think Victreebel tries to eat James because he likes him or because he's disobeying him? Don't forget that Victreebel is a 3rd stage evolution. Does anyone remember the episode with the Sun Stone competition? I really thought James and Victreebel would proceed farther than the first round. I guess Team Rocket winning anything, even a filler Pokemon battle would be bad for the kids haha.

Personally, I love that Ash always falls for their disguises. Misty usually sees through, and even Brock to some extent. And how come Brock has never tried to make a move on Jessie??

I was so happy watching the episode where Ash defeats Cianwood City geam leader Chuck because Team Rocket actually didn't blast off for once. If they ever go an episode without getting blasted off, you can expect something lame to happen in the last few seconds right before the credits causing them to blast off. It was nice for a change haha.

Years
  • maybe if they let them win once and actully send a Pokémon to Giovanni

Coughyanmacough.

The fact that it was sent back by Giovanni is indictative of Team Rocket's luck, in that the only Pokémon they've successfully captured in recent times was surplus to requirements at HQ. It was a nice little twist, I thought.

Years
  • James must get a new strong pokemon. much like Jessy's Yanmega, becuase I love team rocket but their pokemon kind of suck now. Since James usually had grass time pokemon i guess Tangrowth could be really cool.

And i think Butch and Cassidy should get new pokemon, beside Grunbull and Shuckle, even if thay will be Bibarel and Luxiou.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd say they should just replace them with new but similar characters but that never seems to work out in tv shows unless the new characters manage to be considerably better(which is rare).

Years
  • I'd say they should just replace them with new but similar characters but that never seems to work out in tv shows unless the new characters manage to be considerably better(which is rare).

Yeah, case in point in Pokémon? Tracey. While there are no doubt many fans who liked Tracey, there were many more who were in uproar about Brock baving been replaced.

Zenoah

Hop along to the cowboy beat.
    Years
  • I agree.
    I adore Team Rocket but when I sat and watched some of DP today while waiting for my Grandma, I noticed how simmilar their capture methods are to way back when...

I'd love for there to be an arc where they accually get Pikachu to Giovanni and make a really good cant-wait-till-next-weekend arc with Ash having to find Pikachu and Pikachu becomming under Giovanni's controll.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I agree.
    I adore Team Rocket but when I sat and watched some of DP today while waiting for my Grandma, I noticed how simmilar their capture methods are to way back when...

I see that too, it's a shame that the only characters with good developed back stories are denied development in present, well Jessie has developed a little by becoming a coordinator, but not enough to add much more depth to her.

I don't want them to get rid of them, but maybe if at the end of Sinnoh, they do an Orange Islands/Battle Fronter type series, maybe have them get called back to TRHQ and not see them for the series, and then bring them back in the 5th Gen based series (have that be where they got sent to from TRHQ) and give them both 5th Gen Pokemon (and good ones at that) and give them an edge over Ash and Co, and maybe even have them allready have set up a TR Base in the new region and make them better battlers and allow them to win a lot more battles, i know that what ever they do Ash will beat them in the long run but maybe this way they could become a challenge, seeing how most episodes they are the only ones who battle.

Zenoah

Hop along to the cowboy beat.
    Years
  • Indeed!
    I hate the fact that their Pokemon are weak and cant battle properly...
    I know they're comic relife but they need a break and maybe leave Team Rocket...they're wasteing their lives trying to catch something they have'nt been able to in years!

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • You know, even a children's show can contain something original and meaningful. It's hardly too much to ask for a decent plot and a couple of characters who aren't just cardboard cut outs. If there's any point in continuing the series after so long, other than to make lots of money with extra advertising for the games and toys, it's the fan base- Most of whom are the people who grew up with it. Like any other TV show, if they don't progress to suit their audience, they're going to lose it.

But, fine. Let the little kids enjoy the same story over and over and over. If the show's still going in 5 years time, you'll be hearing the same from them.

No I suppose not but it depends on whether you believe the plots are of decent enough quality for the type and level of show it is at the moment. I believe they are.

Your right about the money issue. The only reason Nintendo or whoever, still produce the anime is because they make a lot of money for it. But I don't see whats wrong with that? They're not going to produce the show if it makes a loss or isn't beneficial for them. :\ . Thats not how world works. Most companies sell sevices and products to make money otherwise they'll go out of business.

The problem with your last point is your assuming the majority of the same audience, who watched the old show back in 2000 when it first aired (which I was a part of) still watch the show. I'll probably guess a liberal amount of 5% still do. The clever thing and also necessary thing the producers have done to stop the show dying out, is to constantly redesign the intended audience each generation by removing continuity (much to the annoyance of the original genration of watchers) and removing a lot references to earlier episodes.

You're right, in five years time the kids who watch it now probably will have moved on to other stuff and won't watch the show anymore but then the show will have moved on itself to another series and a different audience.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    For me I really think they are annoying, but now I think differently because I feel like meowth has just died in the US anime...may that great woman rest in piece...

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Really, to me, I would like them to not show up EVERY episode AND movie, which gets annoying...

-Knotchwax-

Omg you killed Timmy!
    Years
  • I do think that if another pokemon game comes out with villains then yes they should use them i also think that team rocket should only have been used once hence the blasting off....

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • Yeah Team Rocket is my favorite part of the show. And, while I admit they do sometimes get repetitive, I definitely think they should stay. Besides, they're not as repetitive as before!

-Jessie actually winning a ribbon?? What? (yay)
    -Yanmega. Rocks.
    -They have more outfit switch-ups recently. ie, "Secret Sphere"
    - I have a feeling it'll get a little more rocketshippy soon-ish (meaning in five seasons or less, heheh) and if that happens, it will definitely change SOMEthing.
    - Ok, that Gliscor balloon? Coolness.
    - Bad guy X Bad guy antagonism is so much fun to watch bc then it's like, Wait, who am I rooting for? (Hunter J and Cassidy against Jessie, for example lol)

The lame episodes I find are the ones where Team Rocket is just thrown in for the sheer purpose of having them there. If you have a consistent antagonist, use them, writers! But I think they have been doing better lately, except that one episode where Team Rocket was just looking for berries at the beginning and end. I'd rather have not seen them at all than be so strangely out of place.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • I do think that if another pokemon game comes out with villains then yes they should use them i also think that team rocket should only have been used once hence the blasting off....

The thing I don't understand with having another villain team to replace Team Rocket is that I don't see what fundamentally will change. Whatever happens Ash won't lose any of his Pokemon and the villain team will end up always failing with their mission, it's just the nature of the show and the writers will never ever change that.

They'll just be a copy of Team Rocket except without the humour and character. People will eventually get bored of them the same way they are getting bored with Team Rocket.

I think the current setup with Team Rocket being the primary antagonist with a couple of other groups who come along in certain episodes (Team Galatic, Biff and Cassidy) is the best setup for the show.

Last edited:
    Back