• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The 30+1 Day Video Game Challenge!

pkmin3033

It's been an eternity since we had one of these, so I'm bringing this back!

If you're not familiar with 30 day challenges, the basic idea is as follows: every day, post your answer - the more detailed, the better! - to the corresponding day in this thread. So for July 1st, you would answer question #1, July 2nd you would then answer question #2, and so on. If you miss a day or come into this thread late, feel free to catch up, but don't skip ahead please, as this is designed to be a monthly challenge...which is why there is an additional question rather than the traditional 30~

The list of questions is under the spoiler below~

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Thanks for bringing this back Dawn, I love the 30 day challenges!

Day 1 – What was your very first video game?

This is a tough one, and I honestly don't know if I'm being truthful. That being said, my oldest memory of a game was like an ATP tennis game on the PS1, so I'm gonna go with that! Not very exciting I'm afraid :')

Years
    I don't actually remember. It would have been something on the N64. Might have been Stadium, but that's also just the one I remember most clearly.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

It was either Links Awakening or Super Smash Brothers Melee. I don't remember which one, but I remember playing them at an extremely young age.

Years
    This is so wild, I was actually thinking about these yesterday and how they were almost banished from the realm, yay!

If memory serves me correctly, I believe it was DuckHunt for the NES!

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    My memory's foggy but I think it's 101 Dalmatians or Teletubbies? Not sure.

Day 2 – What game do you think everyone should play?
    Any Dragon Quest game (especially 11) please. These games keep the style of what makes a jRPG great and fresh with goofier monsters to fight. Also, there's puns!

Years
    There's a few of those, but most of those a lot of people already do play lol. I'll give a shout out to OneShot or To the Moon here. They're a little bit less known compared to stuff like FF or tLoU that I'd highly recommend and both are absolutely beautiful games.

Years
    Not exactly sure which one was first, but it was either Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Prehistorik or Vlak.

I would say Gothic, just because it's unique RPG.

pkmin3033

gdi I forgot to put my own answer to Day 1 in the first post asdfghjkl; I fail at my own thread

I am *fairly* sure it was Super Mario Land, but this was a *very* long time ago, and honestly my memory is a bit hazy about when I got my original Gameboy - I think I was seven or eight, but that would place it after I got my appendix removed, and I played Aladdin on the Megadrive in hospital, so it could have been that. My grandfather had an ancient console of some kind (a Philips Videopac, I think?) with Pickaxe Pete on it and I used to play that a lot whenever I went to visit them. So...it could be any one of those three. xD

Xenoblade Chronicles. It's as close to perfection as I've ever seen a video game come, and with the Definitive Edition upgrading the character models there is literally nothing to criticise apart from Future Connected but let's not talk about that about it.

Years

I honestly think everyone should try 'The Witcher 3', I left it late but was so happy I picked it up in the end! The characters, world and everything make it an almost perfect open-world RPG, eclipsing the likes of Skyrim easily imo. It's a game that's made me laugh, sad, scared and has two of the best DLC I've played in a video game. It's pretty cheap atm too, cannot recommend enough!

Years
    • Seen yesterday

That's such a tough question...since enjoyment is different for everybody.

I guess Super Mario Brothers, since it's historic. Or Tetris.

pkmin3033

Day 3 – Who or what is your favorite protagonist?
    This is a surprisingly difficult question...I would say probably Velvet from Tales of Berseria. Her character development over the course of the game is definitely one of the best I've seen in a JRPG, and it feels a lot more natural than others I could name.

Years

Yeah another tough question for sure. I would have picked Geralt of Rivia, but seeing as I answered the last question with The Witcher I'll switch it up a bit. Controversial one, but gonna go with Noctis from FFXV, the game wasn't the best, but I think his development is pretty good throughout, well-acted and I wanted to avoid the more typical picks from the FF series. Just think he's such a cool character to play as, especially his interactions with his friends and the world around him!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    First character that came out on my mind was Spyro. When I was playing Reignited Trilogy, I realized how much he acted like a brat and how much he evolved throughout the trilogy.

Years
    That's a really hard call. Can I say Ellie and Joel from tLoU as a conglomerate? :')
    They just feel so real and the way they grow throughout the story (of the first at least, I have not played the sequel yet) is pretty much perfect.

Years
    Day 4 – What game deserves more love?

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for me, it sometimes gets forgotten about, but I think of it as the last good AC game. Really charismatic protagonist, vibrant and interesting world and the ship exploration and combat was really good! It does get love from fans, but I think the state the series is in now people tend to remember the classics more.

pkmin3033

Definitely Resonance of Fate! It was released between Final Fantasy XIII and NieR, so it's not surprising it got overlooked, but it's a real shame that it did. The gameplay is like nothing else I've ever played and it works brilliantly, the rapport between the three protagonists more than makes up for the at times somewhat lacking narrative, the steampunk setting was uncommon for its time and you don't see too many similar to it now, the music was surprisingly decent, and it was pretty damn challenging because progression was tied entirely to your three different weapons and the customisation of said weapons...and the game delighted in removing one or two party members for chapters, which could really throw things off. Basically, it was really, really good, and despite having a PS4/Steam release, seems largely overlooked.

Years
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It came out after all the big hits like Skyrim, Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2, but I never saw people talking about it that much. It was solid RPG, I would even say I enjoyed it more than Skyrim. I remember the Reckoning mode was pretty fun to use and the story was interesting, even though it was full of cliché.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2. He felt so much like playing an actual human.

Final Fantasy 13. It was my favorite in the series from the ones I've played, and it's sad to see it gets bashed so relentlessly. Then again I don't mind linearity or reading data logs, in fact I kind of enjoyed it.

Years
    Party Hard. It's not got an amazing story and the premise is a bit odd, but it's about as much fun as you can have in a violent, stealth, strategy puzzle game and the soundtrack is great. I never hear anyone talk about it though.

Back