• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The 30+1 Day Video Game Challenge!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'll jump in.

Day 3 – Who or what is your favorite protagonist?

This one use to be pretty hard for me, but ever since playing Hotel Dusk and Last Window, it's Kyle Hyde and no one comes close. His mannerisms, backstory, and likeable qualities just make him feel very relatable.

Day 4 – What game deserves more love?

I'll pick something relatively recent and say SaGa: Scarlet Grace. The SaGa games are usually hit or miss with me, but i was immediately hooked with this. The battle system is the best take on turn-battle I've played in quite awhile. Exploring the world, the side-quests, and recruiting characters was just a really fun experience for me.

pkmin3033

Day 5 – What is your guilty pleasure game?

At the moment, it's Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Megamix, for Nintendo Switch. Hadn't played one of these since F2nd on Vita and had no real interest in Future Tone because not portable. So I picked this up. It's surprisingly addicting. xD

Years
    The closest I have to a guilty pleasure game would probably be Cel Damage. It's got no story, it's zany and goofy and it is very fun.

Years
    I don't really have a guilty pleasure game atm, but I used to love Final Fantasy CC: The Crystal Bearers on the Wii, the mechanics didn't work properly, the story was really short and there was no post-game. But, for some reason I loved the characters, the abilities and everything about the world, would love to play it one more time :)

Day 6 – What game recommendation have you tried this year?
    Gonna have to give The Witcher 3 another mention, I skipped it for so long and was recommended it again at the start of this year, and with it being so cheap on the Xbox store, and with my love for open-world RPGS I couldn't resist any longer. I feel like it's a crime I waited this long, but really glad I did!

Years
    I'm not sure I have one... But I would probably say Bleach: Immortal Souls. It's P2W mobile gacha game, it has only a little bit of gameplay and not really enough content, but it's Bleach, so I gave it a try when it came out and "play" it daily for few minutes since then.

Funnily enough, I have to say The Witcher 3 too. I've been playing Witcher series since 2007, but my PC wasn't strong enough to run Witcher 3 when it was released and I was afraid of the open-worldness of this game in comparison to previous entries, so I didn't really want to play it. But one of my friends, who is huge Witcher fan, has been trying to get me to play it for a long time. So I finally gave it a try and finished the main story two days ago. And I have to say that it's great game. The open world was my biggest problem with the game. I feel like it's not that great, since the loot scales with your level, so there is literally no reason to explore the world before the final act. I was also pretty disappointed with difficulty, which was just about boosting HP of enemies and decreasing gained XP. That combined with combat system, that was a better version of TW2 combat, made battles chore after few hours. But the story, the atmosphere and characters were amazing. Some of the quests boiled down to do exactly the same steps over and over again, but I was expecting that with how huge this game is. Overall I enjoyed every hour I put in and can't wait to play through both DLC, which I heard are even better than the main game. But I would probably still pick TW1 and 2 over this game, since I enjoy their stories more.

Years
    Day 2 – What game do you think everyone should play?
    Landmaker! It's a puzzler along the same lines as Bust-a-Move, however the premise is to put blocks together to make buildings, before then destroying them to attack the opponent. Very 'Japanese' aesthetic, however there was also a really cool "campaign" mode where you had to complete challenges in as little moves as possible, the better you did the more that you developed a region. It's super great, check it out!

Day 3 – Who or what is your favorite protagonist?
    THIS IS SO HARD...I think I may have to go with Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia (seeing Velvet is a big yikes). His development in itself is decent, it's no Luke von Fabre but there's definitely something there, however it's the way he galvanises the party in a way that isn't goofy or too cheesy (see: Lloyd Irving) and that he is a lote more mature/darker than a lot of protags up to that point, which is what has him as my favourite protag.

Definitely Resonance of Fate! It was released between Final Fantasy XIII and NieR, so it's not surprising it got overlooked, but it's a real shame that it did. The gameplay is like nothing else I've ever played and it works brilliantly, the rapport between the three protagonists more than makes up for the at times somewhat lacking narrative, the steampunk setting was uncommon for its time and you don't see too many similar to it now, the music was surprisingly decent, and it was pretty damn challenging because progression was tied entirely to your three different weapons and the customisation of said weapons...and the game delighted in removing one or two party members for chapters, which could really throw things off. Basically, it was really, really good, and despite having a PS4/Steam release, seems largely overlooked.

This 100% (And something I somehow just KNEW you you were going to bring up)!!!! Otherwise I'll be going with Phantasy Star Online: Episode 3 (C.A.R.D Revolution). It has some surprisingly in-depth storytelling and is a great experience, albeit a little jarring (especially if you've come from other Phantasy Star games).

What even counts as a guilty pleasure game nowadays...erm...I guess Pokémon RSE? A series I've grown to like less and less as the generations have plodded on, yet I could happily sit on this particular generation forever and ever.

Er..........I......haven't played any recs as of yet. HOWEVER I was recommended Aragami recently and have purchased it so, maybe I can answer this a bit later on!

UPDATE: it's not very good! Great concept, really wonky controls.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Life is Strange 2! It was...not for me, I don't think.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Day 5 – What is your guilty pleasure game?[

L.A. Noire. I've seen mostly criticism of it being repetitive and slow. It ended up being one of my favorite games I had ever played.

Day 6 – What game recommendation have you tried this year?[/B]

Final Fantasy 10, recommended by a sibling since I've been getting into the series. I started a couple days ago.

Years
    Almost every game I've played this year has been a recommendation :')
    In particular though I've been exploring the Final Fantasy Franchise properly (at last) and I played A Plague Tale: Innocence. I highly suggest both.

pkmin3033

Day 7 – Who or what was the most annoying character?
    Oh god, almost any character voiced by Yuri Lowenthal would fit this description. Yosuke Hanamura from Persona 4 stand out most prominently though, because he's a homophobic piece of trash on top of being an incessant whiner who never develops even slightly over the course of the game. That he's present from the very start of the game and never shuts up is a very big contributing factor to my intense dislike of the game - he's so annoying that he actually makes the game damn near unplayable from the narrative standpoint just by existing. "Most annoying" and "worst" are definitely synonymous here.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years

I really enjoyed the Agarest games even though they are pretty terrible. The battles drag on way too long, and make the game feel extremely padded. The only reason I pushed through was because of the fun idea of the game being set over multiple generations. Basically you can pair the MC with one of available interest before each generation ends, and their child ends up having a completely different appearance and stats depending on who you paired him with.

A Plague Tale: Innocence which was fine up until halfway where the plot starting a get a bit too ridiculous. The final battle still has me shaking my head, lol.

Emil from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World killed what little interest I had in the game. He's the first one that comes to mind when I think of really annoying characters.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Hmm this is tough since I'm rarely annoyed, but I after finishing up my 4th play through of Ocarina of Time, I understand the criticism of Navi. Her dialogue is very frequent and even after playing once never actually needed anymore. Her notifications almost feel like hanging up a phone I don't feel like answering.

Years

The Chocobo racer from FFX.
    God I hate her. Not because of the character mind you, but because of her mini-game. May she burn in hell.

Years
    Lillie from SM and USUM is probably the only character that I really find annoying. I didn't particularly enjoy her story and she got in my way way too often.

Day 8 – What game haunts your dreams?
    I don't think my life is boring enough to give enough significance to any game to haunt me.

Smormad

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2021
    Witcher 3 is the best game I have ever played. I enjoyed it for months.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

I'd actually dream about Hitman every time when I played it before bed. I guess because the type of game it is, where it requires lots of thinking/planning. That said it isn't the most pleasant thing to dream about either.

Years
    MAY OBLIVION'S ADORING FAN CHARACTER ROT IN HELL, THE ABSOLUTE WASTER.

P.T and Until Dawn. P.T ESPECIALLY after I found out that they position Lisa directly behind you AT ALL TIMES. The fuck was that all about?!

Years
    Right now, Detroit Become Human. I'm finally playing through it since I got it during the Steam sale and boy does it pose some interesting questions.

pkmin3033

Right now, Disgaea 4. I *really* want to play Disgaea 4 right now. I've had Golden Memories stuck in my head off and on for a while, and it's been a long time since I platted it on Vita. I have it on Switch and I low-key want to start a file to see if I can 100% the records. Hnnngh.

Day 9 – What game series will you never play?

Pick any sports series. Any one you like. I will also probably never play Need for Speed.

Day 10 – Who or what is your favourite antagonist?
    I want to say Zanza, but I'm going to go with Mithos from Tales of Symphonia...his backstory is just better.

Years
    Day 9 – What game series will you never play?
    The Souls franchise. I'm not really interested in playing something with a reputation for being maddeningly difficult. I don't like my games to feel like a chore.

Day 10 – Who or what is your favourite antagonist?
    Oh that one's tricky. Off the top of my head, probably Kefka from FFVI. I normally lean towards preferring the more nuanced villains but there's just something about that particular brand of insanity that draws you in.

Back