• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The 30+1 Day Video Game Challenge!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Day 8 – What game haunts your dreams?

Can't say any game haunts my dreams now, but as a kid, Silent Hill 2 and Pyramid Head definitely gave me a few nightmares, lol.

Day 9 – What game series will you never play?

I actually use to play a few NBA games back in the day, but that was as far as I'd try with the sports genre. I don't think I'll ever give popular franchises like FIFA or Madden a try.

Day 10 – Who or what is your favorite antagonist?

Probably Luca Blight from Suikoden II because of how insane and brutal he is. The fight against him is one my favorite is any RPG.

Years
    The Last of Us. It always seemed like overhyped and overglorified mediocre game with only thing it did amazing was story and I heard the sequel butchered even that.

Day 10 – Who or what is your favourite antagonist?
    Mr. Scratch from Alan Wake, especially his American Nightmare appearance. I love this sadistic bastard.

Day 11 – If you could only play one single-player game for the rest of your life, which game would it be?
    Either Gothic 2 or Monster Hunter: World. I think I could survive with either of them and would never get bored of them.

pkmin3033

Day 11 – If you could only play one single-player game for the rest of your life, which game would it be?
    Dragon Quest Builders 2. I am not a Minecraft fan at all, but I think if I was restricted to one game with no multiplayer or anything, I would want to play DQB2, because I could have endless fun recreating things in free build. It's the only series where I've ever actually enjoyed making my own things, so yeah.

Weird answer, but I'd get bored of a single-player RPG quickly as I'm not fond of challenge runs, and Monster Hunter is the most miserable experience imaginable in single player for me.

Years
    • Seen today

I'm open towards anything.

Day 10 – Who or what is your favorite antagonist?

Big Smoke for being a giant meme

Skyrim. It's not my favorite game but it could keep me busy for an extremely long time.

Years
    Probably on of the Pokemon games. There's a lot of replayability there.

Years
    Day 12 – What is your gaming system of choice?
    Nintendo 3DS. It has such a big and great library and can emulate various other systems.

Day 13 – What is your favorite hidden gem?
    Picking only one is hard... But I think my most favourite is probably Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory. It looks like a children game with a cute artstyle, but deep down, it's Super Meat Boy-ish difficulty level of platformer. And it's fun.

Years
    I've been away so time to catch up! I'll post my answers under a spoiler to save a massive message haha.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen today

Probably the Wii U, because I love it's virtual console.

The Spongebob Sqaurepants Movie (GBA).

Day 14 – What genre of games is your favourite and why?

JRPG's or Open World sandbox, (Like the stuff Rockstar makes)

Years
    PC, since it has the widest catalogue of games by far and you can still use a controller. Switch would be a fairly close second.

Hard to say if any of the games I like could be considered hidden gems because I don't know enough about what other people play. I never hear anyone talking about OneShot though and I think that's a fantastic game more people need to play.

pkmin3033

The Switch, for its handheld convenience...although the PS Vita would actually be a close second, for having the best selection of niche JRPGs and visual novels.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. I've not met many Ys fans, and that's a huge shame - despite having a bizarre order as a series, they're fantastic standalone experiences, and VIII is one of my favourite games. Fantastic soundtrack, engaging gameplay where exploration is very rewarding, a likeable cast of characters, and a narrative that stays relatively grounded and well-paced despite the cliche nature of it all.

JRPGs, because I can find one for just about any mood I might be in. If I want something serious, humourous, light, heavy, turn-based, real-time...JRPGs have me covered. I do enjoy Western RPGs as well on occasion but the tendency towards open world without actually understanding what makes open worlds work has made me very cautious.

Day 15 – What game just made you say "I'm done with this" and instantly quit playing?
    I've had a few of these over the years, but the most recent example I have would actually be Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I got fed up with hunting for beetles, didn't want to re-terraform my island wasn't satisfied with what I'd done (redoing it would have involved picking up several thousand flowers) and I burned out filling out the art section of the museum. I've not touched the game in...three weeks now? Something like that.

Years
    Day 15 – What game just made you say "I'm done with this" and instantly quit playing?

The most recent memory of this that comes to mind is The Witcher 3, in particular its first DLC Heart of Stone. The fight with the Toad Prince towards the start was super tough, and honestly made me stop playing the game for days cause of how long it was taking me. It made me rage so much, but I got there in the end, I don't think I've ever fully stopped playing a game forever cause of a rage quit, but this was pretty close!

Years
    RPGs, but the ones that are more linear like Gothic 1 & 2 or The Witcher 1 & 2. I enjoy good stories and linear RPGs usually tell those stories and add pretty fun gameplay on top of it. I agree with Dawn that there are only handful of games with good open world.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. I beat first game in it and I hated movement in pretty much every level. I thought it was the same in the original and they tried to be as authentic as possible. But it was just as awful in second game, so after few minutes in first level I quit it, uninstall it and did 100% run in original games on Playstation to get the bad taste off.

Years
    Tough call since my experience is as eclectic as it is limited. I think it'd probably be between JRPGs and story-driven survival stealth games (like tLoU or A Plague Tale).

I tried Team Fortress but I was bored within like 30 minutes - tops. I just could not get into it.

Years
    Day 16 – What open-world game gave you that "woah" feeling?

It's definitely between Skyrim and BotW, going out into those two worlds for the first time is a really special feeling, whether its escaping the prison in Helgen, or waking up onto the Great Plateu, I really got a 'woah' feeling from both of those games. I'd probably have to go with Skyrim though, just from how much time I've spent in the world!

Years
    My Time at Portia. It had such a beautiful world full of life. I love every single interaction with villagers and when I first found out about events, that's when I went woah.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Catch up time!

I think something similar to Animal Crossing. I say similar because even though I had fun with New Horizon, eventually the shine wore off, and felt kinda bored doing most of the same tasks each day.

Probably the PS4 for whatever reason. If the game I want is on multiple platforms, the PS4 is the one I almost go with.

Lot of good choices, but I'd probably go with the obscure Shining the Holy Ark for the Sega Saturn. A dungeon crawler that feels very proto-Golden Sun; the sprites, music, and the just the overall feel where definitely carried over to Golden Sun. I had a lot fun with it despite really hating first-person dungeon crawlers.

Day 14 – What genre of games is your favorite and why?

I've been a JRPG fan ever since playing FFIX as an 11 year old back when it first came out, and I've been hooked ever since. Story, characterization, customization and so on. I'd say that story and characterization are obvious things that generally set JRPGs apart.

I gave up on Demon's Souls pretty much instantly since I realized it wasn't really my thing, and I'd be dying over and over before actually making any progress.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today

Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam. Sadly I was at the end, but that was my limit. With all the toad hunting constantly stopping all the story progress, I had never felt so bored of a video game. It was the only game where I made it to the end and couldn't push myself to finish.

Grand Theft Auto 5 when I was 13 years old during it's release.

Years
    The first time I felt that was probably, of all things, GTA: San Andreas. I was like 10 or 11 when I first played it and absolutely blown away that I'd been given an entire state to murder in whatever fashion I wanted.

Years
    Day 17 – What game do you disagree with the general opinion on?

Call of Duty is the best I can come up with in terms of games I actually play. It has kinda a bad reputation but I've always enjoyed it even when the games aren't the best, saying that, this year's release is definitely much better with Warzone, the removal of loot boxes, season pass etc.

pkmin3033

Hmm...not a huge fan of open world titles, but I will say that Assassin's Creed Origins gave me this at points. Whilst Odyssey was more technically impressive, there was a lot of empty space, and Origins let you climb pyramids. They did a fantastic job with it and whilst I am not one for admiring scenery I did find some of the lookouts pretty damn impressive.

Day 17 – What game do you disagree with the general opinion on?
    Oh yay, time to annoy everyone with my unpopular opinions again! To the surprise of probably absolutely nobody, my choice for this (and I had several choices here) is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This game is BAD. It's an empty, incomplete mess and I have absolutely no idea why it's so widely praised...oh wait, yes I do. Because it has "The Legend of Zelda" in the title. That is it. It has a barren and pointless open world with literally nothing to do in it - everything of note is contained in the shrines, which range from boring to infuriating (the gyro control ones) - and a weapon durability system that actively discourages combat. Also, a stamina meter. These two things have never been fun in any video game, and combining them here has the expected result: it makes both even worse. It also doesn't have a noteable soundtrack, which is unforgivable in my books. Of all the sins this game commits, not having a proper OST is by far the worst. I will admit that the open world itself is well-designed, but the problem is that it's a blueprint: it's like they made it and then forgot to add an actual game for people to play. Never mind the atrocious voice acting, below-average narrative - even for a Zelda title - and how miserably underwhelming the dungeons are. Bad game is bad.

Back