• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Gym Leaders and Elite Four

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
  • It's been a long time since I played Sapphire, but I thought that the area where you grab one of the orbs (the one with all the ghosts) was located next to a beach? Does that have something to do with Phoebe's attire? Honestly, I like the unpredictability of it. Themes are good, but it gets old lol.

All I care about is that the game has a baseline challenge to it and that the Gym Leaders/Elite 4 update and remain challenging as we go from the end game to the post game. I know these are remakes and not sequels, but I always wanted the game to have more stuff to do at the end, not that collecting doesn't give you enough to do, but it would be great to have repeatable challenges and whatnot. I mean, in Gen 5 the Elite 4 upgraded after their initial defeat, but in X/Y they don't. It seems like such an odd tradition to not carry over.

Mt. Pyre is near Lilycove, if that helps. It's surrounded by a lake but I doubt that has any impact on Phoebe's clothes. Honestly, when I first played Ruby I thought she was a water type trainer from her outfit. Her clothes could have some influence from Hoenn itself (tropical) and Lilycove.

I found the Elite Four of Hoenn to be generally... well, okay. I didn't really like Glacia because she isn't REALLY an ice type trainer and she seems rather distant. You could say the same for Lorelei in the Indigo League for water types but... The attitude...

Strategy
    I use items for help.

Thanks, Ms Obvious Glacia.

I loved Drake because he looks so badass. Phoebe and Sidney are fine... Yes Phoebe can be "childish" but it helps to change the mood of the E4 battle.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Is it bad I already have pre-game fear for Normal, Tate and Liza?
    I always have to challenge them again and again last time; Hopefully with my better "skills", it'll be better for me now :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Is it bad I already have pre-game fear for Norman, Tate and Liza?
    I always have to challenge them again and again last time; Hopefully with my better "skills", it'll be better for me now :P

Like wise. I kept having to battle them. I also kept battling Glacia out of all people...so in my eyes Glacia is one tough lady...
    Just watch as Glacia get's a redesign that'll make her the favorite among the E4 (thought that'll be hard to do considering she has Phoebe as an opponent...)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Norman was always a threat having two Pokemon at a BST of 680. Tate and Liza were also difficult having two sting Pokemon in a double battle, it will be fun to rebate them though! I also found Winona quite a challenge sometimes with her Altaria, especially with Dragon Dance!

Years
  • Norman was always a threat having two Pokemon at a BST of 680. Tate and Liza were also difficult having two sting Pokemon in a double battle, it will be fun to rebate them though! I also found Winona quite a challenge sometimes with her Altaria, especially with Dragon Dance!

Ah yes I remember when I struggled with those three Gyms in the originals so I wonder if they'll still be as challenging as ever in the remakes given how much mechanics have changed since 2003. At least reusable TMs and sometimes buffs to some Pokemon over the generations will give us more options.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It would be great to have triple and rotation battles somewhere in the game. Also I want to see Anabel if Battle Frontier ever come back.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years

Dragon Dance/Aerial Ace/Earthquake was quite the combination, wasn't it? :| Kinda made any hope of resisting her with an Electric-type like Manectric/Magneton redundant. I'm thinking she won't be any easier this time around; predicting she'll drop the Swablu for a Swellow, and have Tropius/Swellow/Altaria. At least, I hope so because that'd be a pretty nice, monstrous team.

Years
  • Dragon Dance/Aerial Ace/Earthquake was quite the combination, wasn't it? :| Kinda made any hope of resisting her with an Electric-type like Manectric/Magneton redundant. I'm thinking she won't be any easier this time around; predicting she'll drop the Swablu for a Swellow, and have Tropius/Swellow/Altaria. At least, I hope so because that'd be a pretty nice, monstrous team.

Ah yes I imagine the days when people used to try and get the Ice Beam TM via the Game Corner just to have any hope of taking Altaria down easily *thinks of Fries the Linoone defeating Altaria with it in Marriland's Emerald Nuzlocke* but with the thing going around that the Game Corner may not return due to the whole anti-gambling stuff in Europe I imagine they have to try and find a way to still make the Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam trio available at that stage, but then again TMs are reusable now so that's gonna be a game changer.

Given how more creative strategies with AI trainers, Gym Leaders included, have been lately I'm wondering if some who previously weren't that hard may actually become hard this time around. I always found Winona very challenging due to her team's secondary types, meaning you couldn't mow her down easily with Electric attacks or Rock attacks or the like.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Altaria =-=

I remember getting pummeled by her back in the days haha, I usually overlevel them, and not use Ice Beam or something haha x3

Years
  • Dragon Dance/Aerial Ace/Earthquake was quite the combination, wasn't it? :| Kinda made any hope of resisting her with an Electric-type like Manectric/Magneton redundant. I'm thinking she won't be any easier this time around; predicting she'll drop the Swablu for a Swellow, and have Tropius/Swellow/Altaria. At least, I hope so because that'd be a pretty nice, monstrous team.

Or maybe Skarmory, Altaria, and Tropius. Though it would make 2/3 of her team weak to fire... but if they manage a hit on Blaziken it's over (it's very frail tbh), plus Altaria resists fire so it can use the Dragon Dance-Earthquake combo against Blaziken, Torcoal and Camerupt. Now for Electric types she can simply use Earthquake. Her Skarmory can destroy ice types and take neutral damage against them. Now imagine her getting Roost on that Skarmory.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I really hope they include Match Call rematches for Gym Leaders, thinking about it now that was only introduced in Emerald so idk. I loved re-batteling the Gym Leaders four additional times with their teams gradually increasing at the same time. I think it's something that's vital to the game that it doesn't really matter if it was or wasn't included in Ruby & Sapphire so it may make it into ORAS. Same goes for Elite Four rematches, these need to be included too!

Years
  • I really hope they include Match Call rematches for Gym Leaders, thinking about it now that was only introduced in Emerald so idk. I loved re-batteling the Gym Leaders four additional times with their teams gradually increasing at the same time. I think it's something that's vital to the game that it doesn't really matter if it was or wasn't included in Ruby & Sapphire so it may make it into ORAS. Same goes for Elite Four rematches, these need to be included too!

I'm not sure if they'll think of it as Vital. They haven't given us true rematches since the previous pair of remakes which came out at the end of Gen IV :(

Years
  • I was thinking why did they leave Winona, Tate and Liza, and Wallace/Juan out of hte new trailer that showed off the Gym Leader art and the the same goes for Glacia and Drake of the Elite 4 they were left out they could be reveled later or my theory is they might be swapped out for known or unknown trainers hopefully one of them is replaced with Wally.

Years
  • I was thinking why did they leave Winona, Tate and Liza, and Wallace/Juan out of hte new trailer that showed off the Gym Leader art and the the same goes for Glacia and Drake of the Elite 4 they were left out they could be reveled later or my theory is they might be swapped out for known or unknown trainers hopefully one of them is replaced with Wally.

I doubt that they'll be replaced. I think that the reason why they were left out might be because they don't want to release them all that once.

I think that the remaining half of the group will include a Mega (Mega Milotic for Wallace) and a Gen IV evolution (Froslass for Glacia).

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Froslass for Glacia is a given, seeing that Phoebe has a Dusknoir now and Glacia had 2 Glalie in the originals.

Last edited:

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I don't think they didn't want to release the late Gym Leaders and E4, coz they wanted to give the limelight to the earlier Leaders and E4. I can see Glacia getting a Froslass, that's a given. Maybe even getting a Glaceon too?

Did anyone notice the E4 rooms look like the original ones, just with updates? I think we are getting the linear path style of the E4 again, and not adopting the style used in Unova and Kalos.

Years
  • I don't think they didn't want to release the late Gym Leaders and E4, coz they wanted to give the limelight to the earlier Leaders and E4. I can see Glacia getting a Froslass, that's a given. Maybe even getting a Glaceon too?

Did anyone notice the E4 rooms look like the original ones, just with updates? I think we are getting the linear path style of the E4 again, and not adopting the style used in Unova and Kalos.

Yup, this was brought up earlier (or in the DCC thread when it was open) here. I'm glad to see that they look simple. They didn't follow HGSS (comparing it as it was the previous pair of remakes) into the thread of making their rooms more extravagant. Not that I minded, I actually liked Lance's room.
    I wonder if the E4 will be found sitting down in those chairs they added and stand up as soon as we enter. While the rooms are plain I do hope they make the entrance look nice like the Indigo Plateau in HGSS or the Pokemon League in XY did.

Years
  • Yup, this was brought up earlier (or in the DCC thread when it was open) here. I'm glad to see that they look simple. They didn't follow HGSS (comparing it as it was the previous pair of remakes) into the thread of making their rooms more extravagant. Not that I minded, I actually liked Lance's room.
    I wonder if the E4 will be found sitting down in those chairs they added and stand up as soon as we enter. While the rooms are plain I do hope they make the entrance look nice like the Indigo Plateau in HGSS or the Pokemon League in XY did.

I like how they made the rooms look very much like their original versions, but with you know, the 3D and the graphical updates and everything. As for the chairs I could definitely see them sitting and then they get up as we enter their room.

I loved the entrances of the League in Unova and Kalos so I'm hoping they can make it more awesome this time around.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I would have much preferred them to make the Elite Four rooms fancy and extravagant. I love how in HGSS the rooms were upgraded. They were stunning. It's a shame that they seem to be so boring in ORAS, even if they do follow the original rooms almost to a T.

Back