• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official "How much is this card worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2011
HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF FREAKING MISTY'S SEADRA. I also don't think I've ever seen that many Charizard in one place. Or that many of the E3 Pikachu, or that many first edition Raichu for that matter.

With those you might get a better deal by going to sites that allow you to trade cards. Though some are actually going to be worth getting PSA graded. Especially that E3 Pikachu.

Also, what is that last Pikachu on the bottom right of that picture? I see red cheeks but no first edition? Is it an E3 one or a regular one? Your answer is critical to determining if you've got a rarity on your hands or not.
Also, are those other two Charizard on the right first edition or not? As a matter of fact, are any of the hidden Charizard first edition?

Prerelease Misty's Seadra: $3-$6.
E3 Pikachu (ungraded): $9-$15.
1st Edition Red Cheeks Pikachu (ungraded): $20-$25. PSA 10 Graded: $59-$69.
Shadowless Charizard (ungraded): $45-$65. PSA Graded: $100+
Charizard (ungraded): $10-$20 PSA Graded: $40
Base Set 2 Charizard (ungraded): $15-$25 (a bit harder to find than it's Base Set counterpart due to this set not being as popular)
Magneton First Edition (ungraded): $65-$75 (whoa geez that's ridiculous if you ask me)
Machamp shadowless: $8-$10 (only available as a First Edition - came in every Starter Set deck)
Dragonair First Edition (ungraded): $15-$20 PSA 10 Graded: $40+
Zapdos First Edition (ungraded): $60-$70 PSA 10 graded: $90-$130
Gyarados First Edition (ungraded): $65-$90
Poliwrath First Edition (ungraded): $60-$90
Chansey First Edition (ungraded): $60-$70 PSA Graded: $100
Raichu First Edition (ungraded): $60-$90

Price ranges are kind of large because with such a small sample size the prices are constantly in flux, but the market value of what you can expect someone to buy it for is somewhere in there.

PSA grading is expensive and is done by <Won't let me post a link, my power level isn't high enough :(> . It can increase the value of your card dramatically if you get it graded, though.

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to look up all of them. I really appreciate it. I'm in no real need for immediate cash now, but out of curiosity do you think I should put some of them up for sale or just wait it out? Guess I need to do a bit more research on the older series. Thanks for the link for the grading site, just looking at their prices, it seems to be a bit pricey to get a couple of cards graded and even more just for a membership. Is the PSA the official grading company for cards? Incidentally are there any known grading companies that operate in Canada?

To answer your questions, unfortunately none of my Charizards are first edition ones :(, those three are just shadowless. Also just did a quick look around and saw that there is a really rare red cheeks E3 Pikachu. Unfortunately that one isn't it either. XD Just a regular shadowless red cheeks.

Thanks again for taking the time to look them up! =D

Years
Oh, alright. Then that shadowless red cheeks Pikachu would probably fetch between $8 and $10.

I don't know if any grading companies operate in Canada, but most companies consolidate their US & Canada operations into one.

Keep in mind that my prices are in USD.

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2011
All right, in all my Google searching, I can't come up with an answer to this one, so maybe you can help me.

I played...11 years ago? When I lived in Seattle and there was a Wizards of the Coast in the city. I was seven at the time so I don't really remember where, but perhaps at a mall. My mum's boyfriend at the time was a TO there and gave me a non-foil Blastoise, which from a little bit of scouring on the internet I've determined is the Blastoise from the Trainer Deck B series. How much is just the Blastoise worth? I've found conflicting evidence all over the internet. Apparently a sealed deck A and a B sold together for little over $1000 in 2005, but ever since then I've seen nothing from them on the internet. Obviously, just the Blastoise won't be worth that much, but I'm crossing my fingers it's worth a decent chunk of change (being a Magic: the Gathering player, I'm used to cards being very, very expensive...).

Years
I can't find one for sale anywhere, or even any information on the sets at all, but, If I had to guess, $20-$30, which is a pretty decent amount for a Pokemon card. Keep scouring the net, as I think there are people who are vastly more familiar with this card than I am and would know the price better.

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2011
Hm. I expected it to be more because it's the only way to get a nonfoil Blastoise from the base set. It was even tournament legal! (Does Pokemon have eternal formats? In Magic we have formats where cards never rotate--so cards from the very first set printed in '93 are useable). Do you have any suggestions about whom to contact? I'm guessing at this point there isn't really a price guideline, so I'd have to find a collector with interest in this particular card. Are the high prices on old Pokemon cards primarily because of collector interest or player interest?

Years
The high prices on older Pokemon cards is due to collector interest and a general rarity of finding a card, as Pokemon has set rotation, but doesn't have events for the older cards, unless a specific league or professor wants to run one. Ratings for those events don't count toward national and world tournament qualification, though. Nintendo also strategically saturates the market of valuable but vital cards with their league promo cards to keep prices down on some very in demand cards to keep play balanced.

Pokemon cards tend to have a "holofoil" premium because holofoil rares are a bit rarer than regular rares, and also more sought after. Also, more well known cards, by virtue of being more popular, will also be more expensive and more sought after, as will any card with a Charizard on it.

For your card, you'd have to go find someone who deals in the cards for a living who would know the value (I collect the cards as a hobby and base my prices off of what I see on eBay and factor in what I personally would be willing to pay for it based on those prices), since it's not a terribly well-known card. They'd certainly give you a more accurate price than I could.

Years
Having not been a knowledgeable collector and not really knowing of any sites where I could check what it was historically, I do not know. I would need a time machine to figure that out, and, I don't know of anyone who's built a functional one yet.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2012
Managed to get two quite rare cards today
How much would a Cobalion reverse (86/101) and Meowth (102/101) be, both from Noble Victories

Sari1292

Self Proclaimed Pokemon Ranger
Years
I have a Shining Steelix that has three stars in the corner. Does anyone know how much its worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back